NAD 50W hxda

Even though I have an HXDA, I still kinda want an HDRX, just for the sheer hell of it.

I guess we shall see if that happens, 'cause I also want a Matchless C-30.

And I have no reason to spend a nickel on either one right now, since the ad agencies I deal with are already in holiday season 'we're done for the year' mode.

"What about fun as a reason?"

"Remind me - what does 'fun' consist of?" :(

Even though I have an HXDA, I still kinda want an HDRX, just for the sheer hell of it.

And I have no reason to spend a nickel on either one right now, since the ad agencies I deal with are already in holiday season 'we're done for the year' mode.

Perfect time to get one and spend the time dialing it in.:D

I'm in the "you only go around once, so enjoy life to the fullest" camp. I say get one or both! :)

I'm in the "you only go around once, so enjoy life to the fullest" camp. I say get one or both! :)

For the past couple of years, I've been writing orchestral music to enjoy my musical life to the fullest. I'm hooked on orchestral libraries, so that's my 'fun stuff'. And there are synths for my electronic work. Also fun.

Guitars and amps...mostly for my work.

For the past couple of years, I've been writing orchestral music to enjoy my musical life to the fullest. I'm hooked on orchestral libraries, so that's my 'fun stuff'. And there are synths for my electronic work. Also fun.

Guitars and amps...mostly for my work.

I havent seen a comparison between the HDRX and HXDA. I wonder how different they sound from one another. I would think the HXDA with all switches on HX (Marshall Super Lead 100) would sound fairly close to the HDRX (his touring amp)

I havent seen a comparison between the HDRX and HXDA. I wonder how different they sound from one another. I would think the HXDA with all switches on HX (Marshall Super Lead 100) would sound fairly close to the HDRX (his touring amp)
I wondered about that too, but haven’t seen anyone say they had both. For me, the HX/DA nails the tone I was looking for when I think “Marshall” so I feel like I have that so solidly covered, the HX or HRDX didn’t hold any real interest for me. I’m blessed with choices already, and think I would likely go with something I don’t already have well covered here. Early 70s or older Hiwatt, a “Mike-built” SLO or X99, or Friedman BE50 Deluxe.

But if the 60s/70s Plexi tone is your thing, the HX/DA is the best I’ve ever heard it done, and more reliable than the original. A real keeper, if ever there was one!

I wondered about that too, but haven’t seen anyone say they had both. For me, the HX/DA nails the tone I was looking for when I think “Marshall” so I feel like I have that so solidly covered, the HX or HRDX didn’t hold any real interest for me. I’m blessed with choices already, and think I would likely go with something I don’t already have well covered here. Early 70s or older Hiwatt, a “Mike-built” SLO or X99, or Friedman BE50 Deluxe.

But if the 60s/70s Plexi tone is your thing, the HX/DA is the best I’ve ever heard it done, and more reliable than the original. A real keeper, if ever there was one!

I agree Rick.
The "Mike built" SLO is next in line for me.
Some years back, I used to head to American Music in Fremont near Seattle and play one of his freshly built SLO 100's in the snakeskin tolex.
The lead channel was heavenly and even the clean channel was a thing of beauty.
I didnt have the cash back then and could only dream of owning one.
I hope to someday soon.

I've been a big proponent of the HX/DA since it came out. For me, it's the greatest.

It probably does sound pretty close. The weird thing is, I don't even own a Strat, and never play Hendrix-ish stuff. But just as you have two HX/DAs, I wouldn't mind having the HDRX just to have another vintage Marshall flavor. The key would be that the right project would have to come along in order to justify it.

I've been a big proponent of the HX/DA since it came out. For me, it's the greatest.

It probably does sound pretty close. The weird thing is, I don't even own a Strat, and never play Hendrix-ish stuff. But just as you have two HX/DAs, I wouldn't mind having the HDRX just to have another vintage Marshall flavor. The key would be that the right project would have to come along in order to justify it.

I agree. I think the HDRX would be too close to what I already have in both of HXDA's, but it would be nice to hear a comparison.

I got the 50 to see the differences between the 30 and the 50.
I've searched and read your previous posts when you had both.
The new 50 arrived with a set of EH EL34 power tubes, but I'm getting ready to try out some winged C's and the Siemens to see which sound better to me and in my environment.
I also need to replace a broken 1/4" output jack so I've got to do some disassembly and bust out the soldering iron.
Looking forward to getting it setup and compare the 50 to the 30.

I agree. I think the HDRX would be too close to what I already have in both of HXDA's, but it would be nice to hear a comparison.

I got the 50 to see the differences between the 30 and the 50.
I've searched and read your previous posts when you had both.
The new 50 arrived with a set of EH EL34 power tubes, but I'm getting ready to try out some winged C's and the Siemens to see which sound better to me and in my environment.
I also need to replace a broken 1/4" output jack so I've got to do some disassembly and bust out the soldering iron.
Looking forward to getting it setup and compare the 50 to the 30.

I found the 50 to be a little fatter in the low mids and bass ranges. Bass usually requires the most power, and the amp has to work harder for it. The thing about the character of the 50W's bass is that it's very rich and gooey. I really dug the 50 I had. On the other hand, the 30's slightly tighter bass is easier for me to get to sit in a mix.

I know... but... but...
Geez, c'mon man! That's not how we're supposed to do the GAS thing!:D

I do everything ass-backwards! :p

Actually, when I get a new amp, I take all of the controls through their full ranges to see what they do. But it only takes a few minutes. Once I figure out where I am with the amp's controls, it's pretty easy to dial in sounds I like.

I even do this with Mesas, which as we all know, have about a 1mm sweet spot on the dials (except for the midrange). But...I want to know what the controls do anyway.

Back