My PRS group - in ROYGBIV!!

markd21

WAY back, in 1992, I was sitting in Thoroughbred Music in Tampa, FL playing an Ibanez guitar (the best my youngster self could have at the time). Up on the wall, high - out of reach - were these really interesting guitars that had birds on the neck. I was intrigued. I kindly asked one of the guys if I could play one. He obliged, and handed me some pretty green guitar with wavy wood on the top and pearl birds on the neck. It had two knobs and a little silver switch. Something about it got me instantly excited....

I plugged it into a Fender Princeton Chorus amp - what I was using to play the Ibanez. The sounds were other-worldly!!!! I looked at the price tag and got sad. I would NEVER buy a guitar THAT expensive. I handed it back to the guy, and my dad and I left the store.

Fast forward to 1998. I got a PRS - a SUPER cool Tortoise Shell CE-24. Had to sell it to fix the A/C in the car. Florida in the summer without A/C in the car SUCKS!!! :(

Fast forward to 2000. I get another CE. An all mahogany CE in Blazing Copper. I keep it for a long time, but don't really dig it. Not a fan of the HFS/VB pickups. They don't gel with my rig. Eventually it gets traded off for something else.

LONG story (sorry guys, I am a English teacher and amateur writer - I tend to get wordy) shortened.....

After buying a bunch of SEs, I decide to step to some S2s. From the S2s, I realize I LOVE 22 fret PRS' with "vintage" pickups. I move on to Core guitars. Between November and March, I sell off my stock of guitars and move to ALL PRS instruments. My wife and I develop a funny idea....

Since PRS has pretty colors, buy them in the color of the rainbow!!!

So that's what we did!!!

69b46531-7f5b-4244-8278-ffe41477820c_zps0fqueqjb.jpg

(Front to back) CE-22 10 top, SC245 57/08 LTD, Paul's Guitar, MC58, SC250 Artist, P22 10 Top.
(Not pictured) CE-22 SH Gold Top, 25th Anniversary SAS NF, S2 Singlecut Standard.

I gig these guitars. I am very excited to have them and play them!!

Nice! What is the official designation of the color finish on that Paul's Guitar? And what are the colors of your other guitars (obviously the CE-22 SH is uh, Gold colored)?

Can you obviously feel the difference in scale length with your SC245 and SC250? Or is it subtle, but does somehow affect how you play?

I have somewhat-intentionally ended up with a rainbow of PRSi too. I need a good strong "bright yellow", though (thus my question about the Paul's Guitar), since I have amber covered in various ways, and I wouldn't mind a strong orange, and a deep violet, or perhaps Bonnie Pink, and maybe a white guitar...

Here are most of mine, although 4 have been acquired since, including a sapphire blue, gray-black, eriza verde, and natural reddish-brown (RL Vela from yesterday!). A new family photo may be made soon, if I can find the time to set them all up:

IMG_0340_1200_zpsdvt4cz4f.jpg

First off, GREAT collection!!!! Thought mine was impressive, lol!!!

Nice! What is the official designation of the color finish on that Paul's Guitar? And what are the colors of your other guitars (obviously the CE-22 SH is uh, Gold colored)?

The Paul's Guitar is called Faded Vintage Yellow. It is quite bright and vivid. I love it!!! The SAS NF is transparent black, and the S2 SC is the Ice Blue Firemist (or whatever it's called - something like that, lol).

Can you obviously feel the difference in scale length with your SC245 and SC250? Or is it subtle, but does somehow affect how you play?

If I play them back-to-back, yes. I tried doing it on a gig once. I use the SC250 as a Drop-D guitar sometimes. I was making all sorts of little mistakes that wouldn't normally occur. It was annoying. I will never do that again! Instead, if I feel the need to bring two guitars I will bring the S2 SC and the SC250 - using the 250 as the main guitar and the S2 as the Drop-D guitar.

I have somewhat-intentionally ended up with a rainbow of PRSi too. I need a good strong "bright yellow", though (thus my question about the Paul's Guitar), since I have amber covered in various ways, and I wouldn't mind a strong orange, and a deep violet, or perhaps Bonnie Pink, and maybe a white guitar...

Yeah, the Faded Vintage Yellow gets the job done nicely if you are after a strong yellow. I could go nuts trying to get the in-between colors. More power to you if you wanna hit the entire spectrum of the color wheel!!!! But, I wouldn't mind having an Orange and Pink guitar....not right now though!!

Here are most of mine, although 4 have been acquired since, including a sapphire blue, gray-black, eriza verde, and natural reddish-brown (RL Vela from yesterday!). A new family photo may be made soon, if I can find the time to set them all up:

IMG_0340_1200_zpsdvt4cz4f.jpg

That's kind of a thing for me, I never buy 2 of the same color of anything, especially PRSi.

Back