My McCarty

gush

Where is that speedo pic
Good day all!

I have been playing the heck out of my McCarty this past week after I went back to stock 3 way switching.

I've talked about this in other threads but I just can't get over how good this guitar sounds now.

Been running it through a jcm800 studio head with the mesa 4x12 I picked up a couple weeks ago and it just sounds fantastic!

I use a marshall class 5 combo to record with sometimes and while I bought it hoping to get something that could sound like a plexi, I find it works much better with an OD pedal in front with guitar volume rolled down. Really good tones. Ran guitar through that last night for a while and just love it!

While I seem to have to work to get a great tone out of the D1 in the bridge in HB mode, the single coil tones are pretty good especially through jcm800. Middle and neck positions sound very good no matter what amp I'm using.

You guys ever get to a point in modifications where you're afraid to change it now??? That's kind of where I am........I'm tempted to swap out D1 but man........not sure I should!

Yep, the Dragon 1
Had those in my '95 Custom 22 and CE 22.

Being more of a blues player (BB King, Peter Green, Albert King, etc.) they didn't work for me.

But they were cool for metalish hard rock tones.

I keep those pickups in my guitar case but replaced them with paf style pickups.

I'm curious how gush, the OP, is getting single coil tones if he has a 3 way pickup selector switch?

Push/pull pots?

Being more of a blues player (BB King, Peter Green, Albert King, etc.) they didn't work for me.

I keep those pickups in my guitar case but replaced them with paf style pickups.

I'm curious how gush, the OP, is getting single coil tones if he has a 3 way pickup selector switch?

Push/pull pots?
Yep

I'm a tweaker too. Removed the 5 way rotary switch in my Custom 22's and installed a three way in both.

What mods did you do to your Mccarty?
I had dual push pull pots to split pickups separately.

I put an adjustable bridge with locking posts, Mann locking kluson tuners, 8515 neck D1 bridge and lots of rosewood bling!

Push/pull pots?
The 3 way toggle system prs uses includes push pull pot on tone to split both pickups at the same time.

I had dual PP pots to split pickups separately but pulled that switching out in favor of stock McCarty 3 way.

I learned the D1 pickups sound much different with volume pot rolled down a bit. Got a 97 ce22 with D1s and it does high gain very well but is very capable of cleaner tones.

The thing that keeps me from pulling D1 out is how well it works split for what I'm doing now.

I have several different pickups I can throw in it but I'm leaving it for now. Ditching the dual PP pots has improved tone. Don't ask me why, it shouldn't make a difference but it absolutely has so before I make any other changes I'm just going to play it this way for a while.

I am not much of a modder. I have modded a few of my guitars but once I started buying PRS level guitars I haven't felt as much of a need to modify them. I have honestly put guitars back to stock and wondered why I ever messed with them in the first place because they sound and feel great with the stock parts in them. I have an SAS that I am very seriously considering putting back to stock. I like it the way I have it now but if I am being honest, there was not anything about it that I disliked in the first place. My first change was to try to get stronger 4 and 2 sounds out of it to make it sound more like a strat in those positions. That led me to a set of Fralin Unbuckers. I liked them but then fell in love with the 57/08 pickups and got the opportunity to get a set of those that were taken out of a limited run PRS. That is what is in there now along with a Fralin blues special middle pickup. The guitar sounds great but I keep wondering how far from the stock sound is it really...

I have a couple of guitars that I did some mods to that I recently reversed because I am going to sell them. They are a Heritage 157 and Hamer Monaco Elite. After reversing the mods I was left wondering why I modded them in the first place. I mean, I know, but was it really that big of a deal?

I am not much of a modder. I have modded a few of my guitars but once I started buying PRS level guitars I haven't felt as much of a need to modify them. I have honestly put guitars back to stock and wondered why I ever messed with them in the first place because they sound and feel great with the stock parts in them. I have an SAS that I am very seriously considering putting back to stock. I like it the way I have it now but if I am being honest, there was not anything about it that I disliked in the first place. My first change was to try to get stronger 4 and 2 sounds out of it to make it sound more like a strat in those positions. That led me to a set of Fralin Unbuckers. I liked them but then fell in love with the 57/08 pickups and got the opportunity to get a set of those that were taken out of a limited run PRS. That is what is in there now along with a Fralin blues special middle pickup. The guitar sounds great but I keep wondering how far from the stock sound is it really...

I have a couple of guitars that I did some mods to that I recently reversed because I am going to sell them. They are a Heritage 157 and Hamer Monaco Elite. After reversing the mods I was left wondering why I modded them in the first place. I mean, I know, but was it really that big of a deal?

I replaced the Dragon 1 pickups in my old CE24 with Fralin Unbuckers. Didn't like them. Put the Dragons back in and sold it.

If I knew then what I know now I would have just put some Duncan Antiquitys and a 3 way switch in it, like I have in my SE Singlecuts.

But that's how you learn.

Then get another McCarty to setup differently.

Really...I’m a bit sad you only have one.
There was a really pretty blue one with Rwood neck that caught my eye pretty hard a few weeks ago.
I have two McCartys: a Braz FB Korina body/neck with P90s, no maple cap, and an IRW neck maple cap w/ hog body and McCarty pups.

AFAIK they are both stock, and sound very different, of course.

Yes, you need another, and that McRosie is calling.

Back