My guitar hero (longtime PRS user) has gone away - painful

This is going to sound unbelievably lame, but I never had a guitar hero. I pretty much liked songwriting, and good part writing, and not a whole lotta deedly-dweedly.

Like, I thought George Harrison and Keef and Clapton were great guitar players because (a) I actually knew who they were, and (b) I thought they wrote great parts. Great solos and great part writing can be completely different.

I also knew Hendrix and Santana’s work, again, because they wrote great parts. And Hendrix had killer sounds on tap. And of course I knew every classic blues player from the old days. Albert King was my favorite.

Some of my favorite part writing was in early songs by The Cure and The Cars.

You can see I’m no connoisseur of OMG wow guitar playing. To add to guitar players I didn’t know before online forums, add Robben Ford, Tim Pierce, David Grissom, and Andy Timmons. I know who they are now, and they’re great players.

I still don’t know who any metal players are beyond Kirk Hammett, and the only reason I know about him is that his car collection was featured in some magazine I read. Metal doesn’t interest me, so no wonder I don’t know much.

Thus I accuse myself of being ignorant of many great players!

‘How do you plead to the charge of ignorance?”

“Guilty.”

“Fine, You are sentenced to learn the accordion.”

“I know how to play the accordion.”

“Then you will be credited for time served on the accordion. Bailiffs, take the defendant away.”
I didn’t have any guitar heroes either - just a few guys I tried to steal technique from. BB King was first.

I didn’t have any guitar heroes either - just a few guys I tried to steal technique from. BB King was first.

BB was a great player. I was really into Albert King, kind of a journey from listening to Clapton, who derived a whole chunk of vocabulary from Albert.

My playing of the same notes can’t touch the skill of someone who did it night after night for however many years. There’s just no substitute for steady gigging. Alas, one has so many choices to make in life!

Back