Finally had some time with it (2010 McCarty Smokeburst)

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Asiafish, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Asiafish

Asiafish New Member

I bought this guitar last month and life conspired to keep me from really playing with it until this past Tuesday. Since then, I can barely put it down.

I’m a very new player (total six weeks online and in-person lessons) and originally bought this because I have been a lifelong fan of both Telecaster and Les Paul tone. The Telecaster was easy as Fender’s current instruments are very consistent in their quality and finding one (now two) that I could really bond with was just a matter of driving five miles to my two local music stores and playing a few chords and scales on what they had. I have an American Professional Tele at home and a Mexican Player Tele at my office and am delighted with both.

My Les Paul itch was vastly harder to scratch. My local GC has plenty of them in stock, and Bakersfield’s best neighborhood store (Front Porch Music) has about ten Les Pauls. The problem was that anything I liked was at least $3000, and that was used, while my budget was only $1500. A number of local musicians told me to just get a PRS and be done with it, and that “they are all great” so no need to worry about finding a “good one”.

I attacked the forums and reviews and was about 90% set on ordering a new S2 Singlecut Satin (love the way those look), but the more questions I asked, the more I was told that I should just go Core. The one model that kept being mentioned was the McCarty and it seamed that the 57/08 pickups would also be my drug of choice.

I found one on Reverb at $1600 (plus $150 for shipping) and just bit the bullet and ordered it sight unseen. It arrived, went immediately to a local guitar tech to be fitted with (NYXL) 10s and have the action adjusted and fretboard reconditioned.

All I can say is WOW! Just six weeks into my guitar journey I have no illusions about my total lack of skill, though I do already find myself getting lost in a good rhythm groove from time to time. My mother was a piano teachers (I rebelled and never learned) and her brother Bob (yes, and Bob’s my uncle) was a jazz guitarist, so even at age 51 and a general klutz I feel I’m learning pretty well and know I must be tapping into decent natural (though long ignored) talent.

I absolutely love the way this guitar sounds and feels. The neck is just perfect for my slightly large hands, the frets are very easy to get solid notes on without buzz and barre chords are possible with a minimum of pain (I’ll get there). Both neck and bridge pickups sound amazing through my Blues Junior, and it takes distortion (Wampler PlexiDrive) very well.

This is going to be SERIOUS fun.

[​IMG]

2. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

That's awesome! Congrats on your new found love!

Andrew Paul and LSchefman like this.
  3. WA Paul

WA Paul It’s ok...I’m with Manny dog

Congrats! McCarty was my gateway to PRS from a LP :)

Andrew Paul likes this.
  4. shimmilou

shimmilou Established in 1963

So cool.

I can't see the pic, I don't have fakebook.

Andrew Paul and Casi1 like this.
  5. AP515

AP515 Mostly Normal

51...your just a youngin...

Welcome to the forum! :)

Andrew Paul and Asiafish like this.
  6. Brian

Brian New Member

Congrats! I'm currently falling in love again with my stock McCarty. Great guitars!

Andrew Paul likes this.
  7. gush

gush She said "huge bag of dibs".

Hard to go wrong with a McCarty!!!

Congrats

Andrew Paul likes this.
  8. Fullmoon 1971

Fullmoon 1971 New Member

Welcome to the madness, be careful though, one McCarty (or PRS for that matter) is never enough.

Left to right= 2006 CE-24 Mahognay, 2001 Standard 22, 2001 McCarty & 2015 McCarty
    [​IMG]

May you getter many years enjoyment from yours

9. Asiafish

Asiafish New Member

So far, so good. Six months into my guitar journey and I can play five of my very favorite songs (Let it Be, Paint it Black, Nights in White Satin, Time of the Season and House of the Rising Sun). I can even sing along with all of them except Paint it Black and Time of the Season (working on it, but vocal comes in at odd time in guitar rhythm).

This is even more fun than I thought, but while my guitar collection has multiplied quite a bit, I’ve not duplicated anything yet. PRS McCarty, Fender Strat, Fender Tele, Martin 000 and Martin D-28. I’ll add a semi-hollow body electric at some point, but not sure what (leaning toward Gibson ES-330).

10. g.wizz

g.wizz Nabs

Congrats on your new acquisition, I play my McCarty (Ted) 90% of the time now, they are something special.

11. mrk691

mrk691 New Member

What color is that 2015 mccarty?? Beautiful!

Andrew Paul likes this.
  12. Fullmoon 1971

Fullmoon 1971 New Member

It's called Black Gold Wrap Burst and has no natural binding.

Some further pictures of my beauty

Stores website listing
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

When I first opened the case
    [​IMG]

Closeup of body in natural light

The Standard 22 though it looks black is actually Translucent Purple.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Asiafish, g.wizz, shimmilou and 6 others like this.
  13. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

So hot!

14. Andrew Paul

Andrew Paul The cat's meow

Congrats and welcome to the obsession!

Alnus Rubra, Asiafish and g.wizz like this.
  15. Asiafish

Asiafish New Member

Wow, that black gold is gorgeous.

16. Asiafish

Asiafish New Member

Thanks. It's getting worse. I just ordered some Mannmade locking Klusen tuners and a new PRS nut.

17. Andrew Paul

Good man :D

18. Asiafish

Asiafish New Member

Martin is just as addictive as PRS, by the way. Liquid metal bridge pins look sick on a D-28, fwiw.

Andrew Paul likes this.
  19. Andrew Paul

You’ll probably differ with me but I understand what you mean by Martin but Taylor turned out to be the Paul Reed Smith of acoustics and took over Martin. Now you need to try a Tonare Grand or Angelos core/private stock, a whole new world of acoustic guitars. Trust me, It will change your acoustic world!

bodia and Alnus Rubra like this.
  20. Asiafish

Asiafish New Member

I went in not knowing anything about acoustics. Spent hours and hours at many shops playing everything that looked good. Ended up first with a Martin 000-15M (I LOVE the sound of all mahogany for playing and singing in a small room) and then added a D-28 (2017 reimagined) for when I really want to rock out unplugged.
    I tried a few Taylors, as well as Gibsons and others, all in the $1000 to $4000 range.

I disagree that Taylor is like PRS in everything except the fact that came in late and established themselves as a respected brand. I liked the tone best on the Martins and Gibsons, and Martin had the best neck profiles for me. If I could only have one acoustic guitar, I'd custom order a 000-18 and spec it with mahogany top instead of spruce, but the regularly available 000-15 is very, very close. Like my PRS McCarty, it is my favorite acoustic guitar.

Andrew Paul likes this.