Finally had some time with it (2010 McCarty Smokeburst)

I went in not knowing anything about acoustics. Spent hours and hours at many shops playing everything that looked good. Ended up first with a Martin 000-15M (I LOVE the sound of all mahogany for playing and singing in a small room) and then added a D-28 (2017 reimagined) for when I really want to rock out unplugged.
I tried a few Taylors, as well as Gibsons and others, all in the $1000 to $4000 range.

I disagree that Taylor is like PRS in everything except the fact that came in late and established themselves as a respected brand. I liked the tone best on the Martins and Gibsons, and Martin had the best neck profiles for me. If I could only have one acoustic guitar, I'd custom order a 000-18 and spec it with mahogany top instead of spruce, but the regularly available 000-15 is very, very close. Like my PRS McCarty, it is my favorite acoustic guitar.
Not my intention to argue about Martin but they had a lot of dark years like Gibson and Fender. I found nice ones, a lot of firewood ones also. I loved my Martin D41, 28, and 70 something D35. To me the sound of the spruce and rosewood combo is my personal favorite. My Taylor’s are from the early to mid 90’s. Sold my Martins and kept those, the playability of my Taylor’s are second to none, but again that’s personal preference. Try PRS Core/Private Stock acoustics. Those cores are not made anymore but you can find them. They sound incredible.

Not my intention to argue about Martin but they had a lot of dark years like Gibson and Fender. I found nice ones, a lot of firewood ones also. I loved my Martin D41, 28, and 70 something D35. To me the sound of the spruce and rosewood combo is my personal favorite. My Taylor’s are from the early to mid 90’s. Sold my Martins and kept those, the playability of my Taylor’s are second to none, but again that’s personal preference. Try PRS Core/Private Stock acoustics. Those cores are not made anymore but you can find them. They sound incredible.

Yeah, a lot of horror stories about the glues in the late 70s (I think pretty all products from all companies tended to suck in the late 70s).
I have no doubt PRS core acoustic would be amazing. I have a few Fenders and have tried many Gibsons, but my PRS is, by far, the easiest electric guitar to play that I've ever tried. I'm a beginner, but with songs I know well my PRS makes me sound like a real guitarist.

Taylors have a different sound than Martins or Gibsons, and of course they all have different feel. I came very close to buying (and probably will after recovering from holiday spending) a GS Mini for travel. I can play it faster and with fewer mistakes than I can on the comparable Little Martin or Dreadnaught Junior and it sounds better too (especially the mahogany model).

Back