My First PRS: Seeking More Info

GuitarDrummer

I'm new to the forum, and new to PRS as well. I got a PRS over the weekend, and it's my 12th guitar.

I know some things about it, but I'm looking for more information. Because what I know about it is limited, finding more info on the PRS website has been difficult. I can't find much about this one, even with a Google search, so knowing more might help with that, too.

What I do know is this:

2014 Custom
24 Fret
Artist Pack ??
Fretboard is blond; heard it was "fired maple," but probably "figured maple"
Quilted maple top [don't know the color, as I'm partially color-blind]
PRS trem
59/09 pickups

Also, the neck is REALLY thin, so the struggles that I have with my relatively small fingers on my other guitars doesn't exist here. Imagine those Jimi Hendrix spider-leg fingers wrapping around the neck. That's what it feels like, and it's a rather unique sensation for me.

Below are some photos. If you know anything more about this, such as the fretboard type, the color, or any other details that might be helpful, please do let me know.

01 by Dan S, on Flickr

02 by Dan S, on Flickr

04 by Dan S, on Flickr

05 by Dan S, on Flickr

Yep, looks like an Artist Pack Custom 24 with a super-sweet quilt top and flame (figured) maple neck and fretboard. The color looks like black-gold to me, but I could be wrong on that. You can email PRS Customer Service with the serial number and they can give you all the specs.

Congrats, that's a beautiful guitar!!!!

Yep, looks like an Artist Pack Custom 24 with a super-sweet quilt top and flame (figured) maple neck and fretboard. The color looks like black-gold to me, but I could be wrong on that. You can email PRS Customer Service with the serial number and they can give you all the specs.

Congrats, that's a beautiful guitar!!!!
What he said;)

Or you can enter the MODCAT here: http://www.toragraphics.com/modcat/

The MODCAT should be on a sticker on your case, and under the neck pickup.

If you call (or email... I recommend calling though...) PRS customer service with the serial number, they will be happy to give you all of the correct specs & 411...

Found the MODCAT on a tag in the case. Found out that I couldn't figure out the color on the PRS website because it's a "custom color," which raises more questions about this particular guitar. Here's what I found on the MODCAT site:

Model: Custom 22/24
Top Wood: Maple
Frets: 24
Top Spec: Quilted Maple
Top Grade: Artist
Neck Wood: Figured Maple
Neck Carve: Pattern/Regular (Standard)
Fingerboard Wood: Figured Maple
Inlay: Artist Package Birds
Bridge: Tremolo or 2-Piece Bridge
Color: Custom Color
Hardware: Hybrid (Nickel and Gold)
Treble Pickup: 59/09
Middle Pickup: none
Bass Pickup: 59/09
Electronics: 5-Way Bladeswitch

Found the MODCAT on a tag in the case. Found out that I couldn't figure out the color on the PRS website because it's a "custom color," which raises more questions about this particular guitar. Here's what I found on the MODCAT site:

Model: Custom 22/24
Top Wood: Maple
Frets: 24
Top Spec: Quilted Maple
Top Grade: Artist
Neck Wood: Figured Maple
Neck Carve: Pattern/Regular (Standard)
Fingerboard Wood: Figured Maple
Inlay: Artist Package Birds
Bridge: Tremolo or 2-Piece Bridge
Color: Custom Color
Hardware: Hybrid (Nickel and Gold)
Treble Pickup: 59/09
Middle Pickup: none
Bass Pickup: 59/09
Electronics: 5-Way Bladeswitch

If you email the serial number to customer service, they can tell you what that Custom Color is. I'd agree though, based on the pics, that's it is a black gold wrap.

Whatever it is, it's hot! Congrats!

This is even more strange, but I found my exact guitar listed on another site. Maybe I'm not the first owner.

https://wildwestguitars.com/electri...-24-black-gold-wrap-around-w-flame-maple-neck
Your guitar is a 2014 - it was possibly bought new in 2014/2015-ish, and perhaps recently traded in for something else, thus you get the opportunity to grab it!

If it was sold to you as "new" then that might be a bit misleading, unless it truly was new old stock (NOS) that WWG either unloaded or partnered with another retailer.

I'm going to check today. He didn't present it as either new or used. My guess is that it was a trade. Will confirm. Feels like a wild mystery, so I'll put any updates here. Too exciting.

Okay, I think that I've solved the mystery.

I contacted Wild West Guitars. Initially, they had no record of it, possibly because they were entering the full SN with the "14" in the front, when their site seems to leave those off. They figured out that they got the guitar from PRS in 2015.

The guy who bought it from them goes to my music store. He will often times spend a ton of money on guitars, keep them for a week, and then return them. One day, he had returned six guitars, and this PRS was one of them. The guy receiving the returns entered a number wrong, and so they bought it back from him, even though they did not sell it to him. I don't know exactly how that happens, but they'll be talking with that guy when he gets back.

Now it's making sense, why I couldn't remember if it was new or used. It was described as "returned." This is the second returned one I've purchased that was returned by this person. They're in new condition because he doesn't play them, but I do get pricing as if it were used.

I told them that if the guy says anything, that I'll return it. They don't think it will be an issue.

Okay, I think that I've solved the mystery.

I contacted Wild West Guitars. Initially, they had no record of it, possibly because they were entering the full SN with the "14" in the front, when their site seems to leave those off. They figured out that they got the guitar from PRS in 2015.

The guy who bought it from them goes to my music store. He will often times spend a ton of money on guitars, keep them for a week, and then return them. One day, he had returned six guitars, and this PRS was one of them. The guy receiving the returns entered a number wrong, and so they bought it back from him, even though they did not sell it to him. I don't know exactly how that happens, but they'll be talking with that guy when he gets back.

Now it's making sense, why I couldn't remember if it was new or used. It was described as "returned." This is the second returned one I've purchased that was returned by this person. They're in new condition because he doesn't play them, but I do get pricing as if it were used.

I told them that if the guy says anything, that I'll return it. They don't think it will be an issue.

That's awfully nice of you to offer that. I'd hang on to that sucker though!

I will be hanging on to it. The guy who brought it in has probably already forgotten about it. I don't think they mean anything to him at all.

Got another email from Wild West. I had described the guy to them as someone who buys and re-sells constantly, and they said "that's the guy."

Apparently, he's on this quest to find the most perfect guitar. He's bought hundreds, yet has five that he keeps at any given time. I can't even fathom the time and money that goes into that, since the buyer typically takes a hit when they return something. I won't judge the guy, and in fact will offer to be a purchaser on his behalf if he is hiring :)

At any rate, I think this story has gone full circle. My immediate mystery has been solved, and I have a really awesome PRS to show for it.

Back