My First PRS! Custom Color Cherry Sunburst CE24

var_guitar

RvOEphZ.jpg

I fell in love with the CE 24 on a trip to Brian's Guitars last month, but I wasn't ready to buy one – plus, although the standard-issue finishes are great, I really wanted one in a cherry sunburst like you might see on a Gibson. As luck would have it, for non-guitar reasons, I found myself this past weekend in Syracuse, where at Ish Guitars they had exactly the CE 24 I'd fancied… you can infer what happened next. It arrived in CT yesterday (gotta love interstate commerce) and I've hardly been able to stop playing it. Here are some of my thoughts, as a first-time PRS owner who's mainly been playing a Strat for 20+ years.
  • The Ish Guitars setup job is *perfect*. I was lucky to get to play this guitar in person, but the reality is, I think you can trust them to send instruments sight-unseen. No matter where on the neck I play, every note rings perfectly.
  • The 85/15 pickups are ~ excellent ~. The sound is really balanced – no mid honk, no shrill highs or flabby lows, just an awesomely detailed and rich sound across the frequency spectrum. They are pretty hot, but they're not outrageous. They're great for all levels of distortion, or, honestly none at all; I tend to play through a Marshall DSL40C, whose clean channel has very little flavour and usually wants a low-gain OD (where are my fellow BD-2W fans?) in front, but in the case of this guitar, nothing is needed. I don't feel that way about any of my other guitars.
  • As a Strat person, the sustain is mindbogglingly long. Very nice.
  • The weight and balance are fantastic. It's so comfortable to play, sitting or standing.
  • It came set up with 10s, and I've been playing 9s for the last few years, so I'm not able to bend quite as easily as I like. My fingers are getting a workout.
  • The Ish strap is really good! It's more than supple enough to fit around the PRS's ridiculous oversized strap buttons.
One minor con: I haven't figured out how to get a sound I love with the coils split, although I accept this is likely related to my Strat-player bias. That's everything. All told, I'm thrilled with this guitar.

The more I read about PRS's story and his philosophy on guitarmaking, the more I understand why this guitar is the way it is. There's just more *stuff* in the sound than there are in my other guitars.

There are a few more pics on my Instagram. Thanks for reading!

Congratulations! Don’t be afraid to put 9’s on it, I have them on all of mine. Remember, it’s not going to sound like a Strat, because it’s not a Strat. In a band context, the single coils will sit very nicely. It was intended to give a usable single coil sound, not copy a Strat.

I see the Line6 plugged in there...how would you compare it vs. straight cord plugged in regarding tone?

Congrats! I just got my first USA PRS last week (CE). I'm smitten with that guitar. I have 2 SE's and one in particular is outstanding with the USA tuners, nut, knobs and mann bridge. That one gets to stay, but the other SE is probably going to be on Reverb soon since I now know the difference and want another USA PRS guitar.

I see the Line6 plugged in there...how would you compare it vs. straight cord plugged in regarding tone?
Honestly, I don't notice a difference in sound, and it's super fun to play untethered. I'd strongly recommend it.

Back