My band, Hard To Port, at a Scottish Highland Games

shinksma

What? I get a title?
So as some of you may remember (and possibly cringe at), I play in a Celtic Fusion band called Hard To Port. Sometimes we play trad songs & tunes on acoustic instruments in a very traditional manner, sometimes we get to let our rock'n'roll hair down a bit and spice up the Irish/Scottish stuff, and add a bunch of originals. This is an original song, which we performed as the closer to one of our sets at the Winter Springs, FL, Scottish Highland Games.

The video is low res because our videographer friend was just experimenting with his old SD tape-based video camera that day, but hey, better than the non-videos we usually get.

I'm playing my P245 SH. My wife is playing a U-bass - normally she'd be playing a PRS Kingfisher, but we weren't sure of the stage size, so went with the more compact instrument.

Thanks, y'all!

Great share @shinksma nice chops!
Thanks! I am very guilty of not playing the same lead break every time, even for my own songs. It will have the same overall flavor, once I find where it generally needs to be, but I am definitely not a note-for-note guy. I was pretty happy with the overall sound of that one, but I've done better, IMHO.

Thanks, y'all!

Thanks! I am very guilty of not playing the same lead break every time, even for my own songs. It will have the same overall flavor, once I find where it generally needs to be, but I am definitely not a note-for-note guy. I was pretty happy with the overall sound of that one, but I've done better, IMHO.

Even Brian May mixes things up, adds grace notes and different passages in his iconic solos.

It’s how you keep the interest. I love to improvise, I’m just badly out of practice!

Love the harmonies!
Thanks! We do work on those, and can get a good four-part harmony going when we think it is called for.

There is another song we frequently play recently called "Pirate's Revenge" which has some very interesting harmonies and layered lyrics, pseudo-rounds style. I'm working on the edits to a video of that, should be done tonight if I get some time in front of the home computer.

Oh, and anyone who is thinking of doing video editing - get yourself the best gaming PC you can afford, and then look to splurge a little more on GPU or one of the other key features to make sure you don't have a weak link in the chain (big SSD, fast CPU, lots of RAM). I'm using a tired old non-gaming laptop with i5 processor and on-board graphics, and it is painful to edit even 1080p stuff. It is literally a case of click on something and wait a minute to see the result. 4K is impossible - won't even load. So my next major procurement will not be another guitar but a good video editing workstation.

I know what you mean on video editing. I'm using premiere and after effects on an older PC and it's painful. I don't even bother actually any more though. I generally shoot video now on my iPhone and gopro's (and a drone) and edit on the ipad. But I did just get my kids a gaming pc and was planning on installing the Adobe suite on that. But yeah I think a good graphic card helps and processor for rendering effects in the app real time. But Memory and fast hard drive seem to have helped me the most in the past.

Great song by the way. Sounded great!

Back