"My apartment smells of rich mahogany" NGD/S2 Review

garrett

IX64h.jpg

Ever since I saw the S2 Standards in Vintage Mahogany, I can't get that Ron Burgundy quote out of my head. I've been eying the S2 Singlecut Standard since the announcement and the time was finally right to pick one up. Went poking around and got the lightest one I could find at 7 pounds, 2 ounces. It happened to be Vintage Mahogany and I dig the color, so you know the rest.

Sweetwater Glamor Shot:

S2010715-angle-large.jpg

It photographs dark in all the seller pics I've seen. I think it looks better in person. It's a rich dark brown with an almost burgundy hue to it. You can still make out the grain of the mahogany pretty well.

Here are a few outdoor shots. It is tough to photograph. It reflects freakin' everything.

An attempt at the angled guitar pic. Apparently, I'm a Batman villain.

Anyway, honest review time, based on my short experience with this guitar. To be blunt, it's clear that the S2 guitars don't get the time and attention of the their Core big brothers. The finish is a bit rough on the treble side of the headstock and at the end of the horn on the cutaway. Minor stuff, but this would not fly with a Core guitar.

The pickups were adjusted horribly. The bridge pickup was so low and the spring on the bass side wasn't long enough, so it was just flopping around in the guard. Maybe Sweetwater tinkered with it, but so much for their 55-point Evaluation. It wasn't the "out of the box and off to a gig" experience Paul talks about. It took me a while to get the heights dialed in. Again, this wouldn't fly with a Core guitar.

The jury is still out on the pickups. They're a lot darker sounding than I'm used to. I thought they sounded fine in the maple topped S2 Singlecut I tried, so they may just not be the right fit for this guitar to my ears. The bridge pickup is actually pretty killer, but I'm missing clarity from the neck. To be fair, I'm largely a single coil guy and I generally prefer lower output humbuckers, so it's just a preference thing. I'll have to see how they do in a band situation before the verdict comes down.

On to the good stuff! As was my assessment of the whole S2 series, I feel like PRS focused on the key things here. I can see why they went with Pattern Regular for the neck shape. It's so comfortable; meaty enough, but not too chunky. The woods look and resonate great. It sustains forever. The scarf joint is apparent, but perfectly executed and so a non-issue to me. The tuners look and feel great, as does the bridge. I'm looking forward to a patina developing on all that unplated brass. Fretwork is immaculate and the fretboard has nicely rolled edges. The volume pots are better than expected. They don't spin as well as I'd like, but they'll do fine.

The guitar has a certain PRS swagger that the SE models can't quite achieve. I think it has a lot to do with that signature on the headstock, but also the finish. It's a league above the SE guitars I've had. Despite the couple of issues, it looks great and is definitely very thin. I already managed to chip it by the strap button. Oooops.

Overall, I'd say PRS delivers on the value proposition of a high-quality USA made guitar at a great price. However, even with a model like this that doesn't have an analog in the Core line, you're still accepting some compromises. I could've compromised a tad more and gotten really close with an SE Tremonti and a few mods (and spent less), but that would've fallen a little too short of achieving the PRS experience for me.

Despite the inherent compromises, I still feel like the S2 is my line. Over the last 20 or so years, I've watched as the Core line has gotten more and more elevated. I've always been more of a bare-bones guitarist, so I'm glad to see them offering so many models that appeal to those of us with more basic tastes. In the end, this is a good PRS and a great guitar, so I'm looking forward to racking up many hours of play time.

New BFFs:

Thanks for this. I have been extremely interested in this model since they came out and now I really want to check one out. I have a preference for all hog guitars and I think this would fill a sonic gap I have nicely, plus I feel like you in that I find the S2 the be the most appealing line for my purposes.

This just in: It finally dawned on me to flip the bright switch on my amp and man did this guitar come alive! I also raised the treble side of the neck pickup a little more and found my missing articulation. With gain, the neck pickup delivers those creamy Gary Moore tones. Neck with split bridge gets a great Crossroads tone, and the bridge HB just wails. It is now delivering as I'd hoped.

Awesome man, congrats from one Garrett to another :)

My S2 Standard 22 should be arriving tomorrow, in the same color. Can't wait! Also recently purchased the SE Clint Lowery, which for what it is, a downtuned beast, is quite good. I've had 3 SE models before, and sold them. Not this one, which is why I'm now trying the S2 line. In fact, I think I'm already gassing for the S2 singlecut, can't decide between the regular with maple top, or the Standard. Is the Standard a thinner bodied guitar overall, or is it the same thickness as say an actual Les Paul?

I have a really good Epiphone LP, 1960 v3 model, and a Fender Classic Player strat, thinking about selling both for the PRS S2 singlecut. Depends how much I like my S2 22. I love the look of this color though, very handsome. I think the too, the Standards pickguard looks really cool, very retro. Glad to hear you're enjoying it now even more.

Awesome man, congrats from one Garrett to another :)

My S2 Standard 22 should be arriving tomorrow, in the same color. Can't wait! Also recently purchased the SE Clint Lowery, which for what it is, a downtuned beast, is quite good. I've had 3 SE models before, and sold them. Not this one, which is why I'm now trying the S2 line. In fact, I think I'm already gassing for the S2 singlecut, can't decide between the regular with maple top, or the Standard. Is the Standard a thinner bodied guitar overall, or is it the same thickness as say an actual Les Paul?

I have a really good Epiphone LP, 1960 v3 model, and a Fender Classic Player strat, thinking about selling both for the PRS S2 singlecut. Depends how much I like my S2 22. I love the look of this color though, very handsome. I think the too, the Standards pickguard looks really cool, very retro. Glad to hear you're enjoying it now even more.

They're not as thick as a Les Paul, which is one of the things I like about them. The carved top LPs balance funny on me and they're not very comfortable. Same goes for the core Singlecuts; too much like an LP in feel for me. I always preferred the flat top Specials and Juniors. I think the S2 Singlecuts are more like that, but with the bevel for style and comfort.

My decision process may help: I've read comments from people about the S2 Singlecut saying that it didn't sound much like an LP and was lacking that fullness of tone. I played the S2 Singlecut and could relate to that opinion. Still sounded great, but a bit brighter and modern sounding. However, I had an SE Tremonti (all mahogany) and thought it hit the LP mark for me pretty well. I think a lot of the magic of that big Les Paul tone is in that big chunk of mahogany. Therefore, I went S2 Singlecut Standard.

A few other things I like about the Standard: I'm not a fan of the birds, except maybe on a white or black guitar. I dig the look of the pickguard on the (mostly) flat top. I think the look of mahogany lends itself better to the bevel than maple. So it hit the mark better for me and a couple hundred bucks cheaper. Yeah!

They're not as thick as a Les Paul, which is one of the things I like about them. The carved top LPs balance funny on me and they're not very comfortable. Same goes for the core Singlecuts; too much like an LP in feel for me. I always preferred the flat top Specials and Juniors. I think the S2 Singlecuts are more like that, but with the bevel for style and comfort.

My decision process may help: I've read comments from people about the S2 Singlecut saying that it didn't sound much like an LP and was lacking that fullness of tone. I played the S2 Singlecut and could relate to that opinion. Still sounded great, but a bit brighter and modern sounding. However, I had an SE Tremonti (all mahogany) and thought it hit the LP mark for me pretty well. I think a lot of the magic of that big Les Paul tone is in that big chunk of mahogany. Therefore, I went S2 Singlecut Standard.

A few other things I like about the Standard: I'm not a fan of the birds, except maybe on a white or black guitar. I dig the look of the pickguard on the (mostly) flat top. I think the look of mahogany lends itself better to the bevel than maple. So it hit the mark better for me and a couple hundred bucks cheaper. Yeah!

Thanks. I do like the thickness of a LP, and the mahogany/maple combo, although I'm pretty sure pickups play a bigger role in tone. So you're saying the S2 Singlecut and the S2 Standard Singlecut are the same thickness. Not sure why the non-Standard is more $, the maple top? Especially in solid colors like white and black, you can't tell it has a maple top. I'd probably go with the Standard too. I've heard good things about the SE Bernie Marsden which is very LP like. Rather stick with the S2 line though. No hurry though. We'll see how I like my new Standard 22 first :)

The birds are a built in up charge. I suppose even with a solid finish, there's more labor involved with the maple top. You have to book match it and then join it to the back, all of which requires planing and gluing.

I agree pickups play a big role in tone, but so does body shape and wood and many other factors to a lesser degree. I think of all guitar designs as tone formulas. Stray too far from any particular recipe and you get something new. Anyway, in sure if you slapped a set of vintage style alnico 2 buckers in the maple topped version

Back