mushok question

DHW

So I am debating on what to do here... If I was to set up a guitar for c# or c tuning would I be better off stringing up the epi lp that hasn't been getting any love with heavy gauge and putting some ripping pups in it or do I have an excuse to buy a mushok on my hands? I know the mushok ships in b, what would need to be done to get it up to c# without popping strings all over the place? The new cu24 and my se245 will stay in standard or half step most of the time. I have a se singlecut korina that could be used for something different as well.

A thinner gauge string will allow the Mushok to tune to C# rather than the stock B. So rather than the regular D'addario Baritone set 14-68, go with the Baritone Lights, 13-62.

Might need to adjust intonation slightly.

I suspect you could use the stock strings just fine for C - it's only a half-step up.

Look at this site to compare relative tensions of the gauges and tunings:

http://www.stringtensionpro.com/

The EPI LP has a relatively short scale length, plus the woods are more geared for warmer tones, so IMHO it would not work well for low tunings.

Not to knock your other guitar too hard, but I think a Mushok will knock it out of the water regardless of what it's tuned to. Just be prepared for the super long neck, the only reason I could never get with my mushok completely. I'm 5'5!

Like Beef said, the Gibson/Epiphone 24 3/4 scale length isn't suited very well for big strings and low tunings. Not that it can't be done bc plenty of folks have made it work really well but it takes a lot of adjustments. The Mushok will be fine for this except you will need to string it up with a lighter gauge and adjust the neck some. The Korina would work well for this tuning as well if you wanted to go that route.

Like Beef said, the Gibson/Epiphone 24 3/4 scale length isn't suited very well for big strings and low tunings. Not that it can't be done bc plenty of folks have made it work really well but it takes a lot of adjustments. The Mushok will be fine for this except you will need to string it up with a lighter gauge and adjust the neck some. The Korina would work well for this tuning as well if you wanted to go that route.

What would I want to string the korina up with to do this? It would be a starting point and breath new life into it.

What would I want to string the korina up with to do this? It would be a starting point and breath new life into it.

I suggest you look at the site I linked for string tensions (I'm mobile right now, so can't really do it on the fly) because it allows you to play with various tunings, gauges and scale lengths, but probably a set of 12s would be a good place to start.

Back