multi-effect processor or computer plug in?

Similar boat, home player, Mesa Mkv25 combo and a modest pedalboard. Volume was always an issue. Many of the same players here, @Bogner @dmatthews @JasonE @DreamTheaterRules @László and a bunch of others helped out, and I ended up going Kemper. I got a stage unit and a powered Kabinet. I use the powered cab sometimes and my Kali studio monitors sometimes. It has perfect volume control, and as few or as many profiles as you want. The management software is pretty intuitive. Bottom line, it sounds really good. It’s a good fit for me. There are of course other, excellent options.

Here’s the thread. It meanders about a lot, but there’s a bunch of good advice and opinions in there from some pretty experienced folks. A lot of off topic rambling as well.

One thing about the Kemper that seems to only come up once in a while is how intuitive the layout is for someone coming from an amp and pedals. Some people don't like it because they want endless flexibility. With endless flexibility comes complexity. The way the Kemper is laid out just makes sense if you are used to using a pedal board and running some pedals in the effects loop of an amp. For me, that made it much easier to use effectively very quickly.

One thing about the Kemper that seems to only come up once in a while is how intuitive the layout is for someone coming from an amp and pedals. Some people don't like it because they want endless flexibility. With endless flexibility comes complexity. The way the Kemper is laid out just makes sense if you are used to using a pedal board and running some pedals in the effects loop of an amp. For me, that made it much easier to use effectively very quickly.
I am still "considering" the new smaller Kemper. Not doing anything until I get the SS functional. Need to dig it out and tear it down.

First a little hello To my friends PRS!! The last few months have been very busy!

Personally, plugging is interesting in some applications but I like the physical thing better..
Since I have my AXE FX3 I do not look back, but the multi effect these are greatly improved and less expensive installations do very well like the line6 Helix which is an excellent unit and very intuitive too!

So, I know these are not in the same league as the digital options discussed so far, but if you’re just practicing at home and want access to a wider array of tones and the ability to do some customization via a software interface, have you considered a Boss Katana or the new Line 6 Catalyst CX?

Screenshot-2024-04-13-at-9-59-55-AM.png

Back