MT15 Cabinet Ideas Open v Closed Back

Mokisan

Hello,

Still new. I have a MT15 and I need cabinet ideas. I want a 2x12. One of my amps is a 2x12 combo that's open back. I love the warmth and open sound, but it's a blues amp. Not sure if that will translate to the MT15 which I use a metal amp.

I understand that most 2x12 cabinets are closed back. I did see a Blackstar 2x12 that could be open back and closed back, but it didn't have Celestion V30s, which I think I want to go with for this amp (unless that's a bad idea). The Blackstar HT212VOC MKII 2x12 with Celestion Seventy 80 speakers. Is it worth it to try to find an open back option for this amp, or should I just get what would be a great match for this amp that's closed back?

If you want to use the MT15 mainly for metal, hard rock, etc., definitely go for a closed back, unless you’re trying to create a unique sound. Closed cabs generate a punchier low end that really helps to articulate thicker riffs.

If you still wanted to go open back, the PRS open 2x12 with V-Type speakers would be a great choice. To my ear, the V-Type sounds like a version of a V30 optimized for open back applications, and even improved beyond that in some ways. Ample low end, nice top bite, and still a mid emphasis, but not as laser focused as the V30.

If you want to use the MT15 mainly for metal, hard rock, etc., definitely go for a closed back, unless you’re trying to create a unique sound. Closed cabs generate a punchier low end that really helps to articulate thicker riffs.
This is my answer as well. For this amp, closed.

Back