MT 15 cabinet/speaker choices?

watelessness

I really dig the MT 15 through my Mesa vertical 2x12 cabs with V30's and backs removed. I also enjoy it through a 2015 PRS 1x12 closed-back cabinet that also has a V30. I don't really care for it through an open-back wide-mouth Mesa with the Black Shadow.

I *suspect* that the amp prefers a closed cabinet so the lows can percolate.

I'm hoping to get a chance this week to A/B/C/D my cabs, the MT15 cab, and the Mesa recto slant 1x12.

Thoughts? What are you guys using?

I'm using mine through a Mesa 2x12 Recto. But, I took out one V30 and replaced it with an Alnico A50 (Avatar Hellatone A50). I dig the sounds coming out of that cabinet now.

I don't own an MT15 but have a 50 watt Archon. I have no advice, I just LOVE saying that I have an Archon.

Ok, kidding. Sorta. :) I love the Archon through my Mesa 2x12 vertical recto cab/v30s. I now love it more through my PRS pine 2x12 w/ V30s. I've played it through various 1x12s to mix and match speakers. One of my absolute favorites was a 1x12 open back with Red Fang Alnico and 1x12 closed back with Emi Governor (v30 type). The Alnico speaker in the mix makes the clean channel even better, and mixes some vintage with the modern. KILLER combo! So much so that I've thought about getting another alnico to put in the PRS pine cab.

That said, the pine PRS cabs give a more vintage sound than the modern Mesa. Their speakers are different, but whatever PRS does "special" to their V30s makes them close to the Mesa versions once they're broken in. In fact, I didn't love my PRS cab until it was over a year old and now it's my favorite cab. Hence my constant advice to ALWAYS check out new amps with well broken in cabs, not new ones!

I really like the matching cab, it's well made, sounds great and is easy to haul around for gigs. If you like 2X12 cabs, Splawn makes some great ones with your speakers of choice.

I really like the matching cab, it's well made, sounds great and is easy to haul around for gigs. If you like 2X12 cabs, Splawn makes some great ones with your speakers of choice.
I wish I had the cab like Les has as well. I'm sure it pairs well with the Archon. And you are right about the PRS 2x. Mine is the lightest 2x12 cab I've ever picked up.
I heard Splawn cabs were good. I know their amps are! I've thrown a few trade offers out lately for a Splawn bug haven't made a deal yet.

Ok, so a good day for me. I compared my existing 2015 1x12 to the Mesa recto 1x12 slant and the Mesa sounded better, more tight, more bass, more badass. Then i tried the 1x12 Tremonti cab. Very badass as well, but more mids and it has this sweet bloom to it. Whatever they changed in the cabinet since 2015 makes just enough difference to maximize the badassery.

So, yeah, there's nothing like the cabinet that was made to go with the head.

Ok, so a good day for me. I compared my existing 2015 1x12 to the Mesa recto 1x12 slant and the Mesa sounded better, more tight, more bass, more badass. Then i tried the 1x12 Tremonti cab. Very badass as well, but more mids and it has this sweet bloom to it. Whatever they changed in the cabinet since 2015 makes just enough difference to maximize the badassery.

So, yeah, there's nothing like the cabinet that was made to go with the head.
Your 2015 1x12 is probably pine. I don't think the Tremonti is pine. If the size were identical, that alone makes a significant difference.

Back