MT-100 Insider News

Here it is right out of Marks mouth in his own words.

Talking To Mark Tremonti About His New MT100 Amp - YouTube
I saw this the other day, really exciting news! I love Phil's content, he's one of the best on YouTube. I've been eyeballing the MT15 since it was announced, but just haven't gotten the funds saved up for one and a cab (or really a good justification to buy one as a college student who'll be living in dorms). If this is what Mark's using on Marching in Time, it's gonna sound great in production.

I still need to educate myself on the Dumble thing. I've heard people giving them really high praise but I've never sat down and listened to any tones from their amps

This whole Dumble thing.... I don't know what a Dumble tone sounds like but I can't help wonder if for me it would be like a tone chasing experience I had a while back, which goes like this... I've liked the band Dream Theater for a very long time, eventually got to listening to John Petrucci ramble on and on about tone which led me to buying one of his ridiculously expensive Mesa signature model amplifiers right after they were first released and then I because the first kid on my block who had one. Sure enough, the first time I plugged it in and explored the tone, my reaction was "WOW! This amp sounds AMAZING! Delivers the goods exactly as promised! It sounds JUST LIKE THAT DREAM THEATER TONE!" and then I instantly realized that I don't want Dream Theater tone for MY playing; I want MY own tone for MY playing! So, now I no longer own that amp (because of covid) but I also have no intention of ever trying to repurchase one of those amps. Sure they sound great and each channel has its own bank of EQ sliders, but I'm not trying to sound like Dream Theater. SO I can't help but wonder if this MT100 will be the same experience. Maybe Mark Tremonti will like the tone but will.... I.... like the tone for ME? We'll see.

Every one I've ever heard sounds different.
Yeah, I'm sure you know this, so this is more for people who don't know much about them... I guess to at least some degree, every single one he made was different. Back when he used to talk to people I read him say that even when he tried to exactly duplicate one amp that some big artist had, he couldn't do it with the exact same parts and worked and worked to change enough things to get it close, but it was still not identical. I think there's also a similar Robin Ford story, where he wanted his stage amp duplicated as a backup, and said the other one was close, but never sounded as good and he eventually sold it.

But part of the D experience was that he asked the buyer what guitars you played, what kind of tones you wanted, how much gain, etc. and then built that amp based on that.

So, Tag's experiments with both Quinn and now Louis Electric were about duplicating one specific Dumble that he'd had, #183. And I'll go on record as saying that while I wouldn't consider myself someone who's first choice of amp over the years, would have been a Dumble, I'll say that both his Quinn and the LE Cobra clips Tag has put up are some of the best amp tones I've ever heard. I have SO little use for a 100 watt tube amp, but that Cobra sounds SO incredible (even at low volumes) that I've considered more than once ordering one at $3800 or so. That amp is simply incredible.

I'll go on record now and say, if the D channel of the MT100 is even close to that, it will be my next amp. Normally I'd say it can't be... heck, they had multiple CUSTOM DESIGNED AND SPEC'D transformers that were rejected for the Cobra, because they simply didn't sound exactly right. And each one is hand tuned by Lou. Not going to get that with an import build, but get "in the ballpark" of those tones, and I'll have to get one.

I'll go on record now and say, if the D channel of the MT100 is even close to that, it will be my next amp. Normally I'd say it can't be... heck, they had multiple CUSTOM DESIGNED AND SPEC'D transformers that were rejected for the Cobra, because they simply didn't sound exactly right. And each one is hand tuned by Lou. Not going to get that with an import build, but get "in the ballpark" of those tones, and I'll have to get one.

Yeah... a 3 channel amp where all 3 channels sound amazing is my dream. If I can justify getting one, then my Archon will probably end up hitting the market when the MT100 comes out to make funds.

I'm surprised by the change in tubes in the MT15 (shows how out of touch I am) to the 5881's and the fact that Mark himself likes the new tube...this amp has my interest. I'm aware that the 5881's is a 6L6 variant and I'm also sure that the MT100 will be ridiculous, but 15/7 watts plus an attenuator will be enough for me.

I'm surprised by the change in tubes in the MT15 (shows how out of touch I am) to the 5881's and the fact that Mark himself likes the new tube...this amp has my interest. I'm aware that the 5881's is a 6L6 variant and I'm also sure that the MT100 will be ridiculous, but 15/7 watts plus an attenuator will be enough for me.

Yeah, I wouldn't be buying the MT100 for the watts. I'd be buying it for the D channel. Definitely don't need 100 watts.

I have a 6L6 MT15 and I love it. Best clean channel of all the amps I own actually. As to Petrucci, I’d love one of his amps, but that’s only because that’s the only way you are going to find a MB IIC+ these days!

I have a 6L6 MT15 and I love it. Best clean channel of all the amps I own actually. As to Petrucci, I’d love one of his amps, but that’s only because that’s the only way you are going to find a MB IIC+ these days!
Have you seen what the JP2C's are doing for these days?

There are a couple in the upper $2k range that seem reasonable, but the few that are north of $4k...........c'mon!!!!!!!!!!
I didn't see the cheaper ones you mentioned. The last 3 I've seen were $2800 or more. Considering new is $2999, I thought maybe Mesa stopped making them. Googled it, found more than one listed new at dealers, $2999. I know the market is nuts right now, but I still don't "get" people asking new retail OR MORE for used gear that is still in production. Especially "normal" gear. I'm pretty confident I can still get at least 10% and probably 15% of most any new gear (I know Mesa doesn't allow dealers to discount). But I see so much stuff listed for 90% of new price PLUS shipping! A couple years ago, 25% off was "immediate." For the guy who bought an amp and said "I've only played it for a few hours and it's just not for me"... he wasn't getting over 75% of new because most people can buy new under retail. I saw a guy at TGP list a "few hours" amp, and say "I'll save you 10% and tax" but he was charging shipping. Most stores ship free... :confused::confused:

I didn't see the cheaper ones you mentioned. The last 3 I've seen were $2800 or more. Considering new is $2999, I thought maybe Mesa stopped making them. Googled it, found more than one listed new at dealers, $2999. I know the market is nuts right now, but I still don't "get" people asking new retail OR MORE for used gear that is still in production. Especially "normal" gear. I'm pretty confident I can still get at least 10% and probably 15% of most any new gear (I know Mesa doesn't allow dealers to discount). But I see so much stuff listed for 90% of new price PLUS shipping! A couple years ago, 25% off was "immediate." For the guy who bought an amp and said "I've only played it for a few hours and it's just not for me"... he wasn't getting over 75% of new because most people can buy new under retail. I saw a guy at TGP list a "few hours" amp, and say "I'll save you 10% and tax" but he was charging shipping. Most stores ship free... :confused::confused:

It's a crazy world.

The shop I always deal with is the highest volume Mesa dealer in the US, and their stock of Mesa amps is pretty low. But heck, I'd just order a new one if it was something I wanted, and wait, somewhat patiently. ;)

I love this idea for the MT100. I've got a real Dumble I'll be sure to compare it! Lots of folks talk about the Dumble sound. Every one I've ever heard sounds different.
Interested to hear your thoughts about the mentioned comparison when you do get your hands on the MT100.

Back