Most awesome guitar still available

Is that an SE? It looks flat topped as well as its only got dots - no birds! the Knobs look cheap too and ho trem either..... :p:D:D

In all seriousness the colour is nice, concept is cool but you have to wonder who decided to cheap out on dots. Being a hollowbody, I can understand the lump of metal for a bridge but those knobs look ugly. Even if it was half the Price, I wouldn't buy this over a 'Core' version if I could find one.
I took another look after reading what Les posted, and now I see it. I don't think they cheaped out, as much as went for pearl dots to match white knobs. So, cool, but no cigar. I know you guys get tired of hearing this (and numerous other things I say over and over :rolleyes:) but to me, the birds ARE PRS. I never thought I'd own a PRS without them. It's just one of THE things that as soon as you look, means PRS Guitar!

Still a beaut though.

Man, I think this guitar has been for sale for like, almost ten years? I distinctly recall salivating over it when I was stealing WiFi and living on my old kitten farm.

I think it’s Bangin’! and I love the inlays and knobs.

Man, I NEVER pictured you as a farm boy. Dude Rancher, maybe. Farm boy, just not seeing it.

I took another look after reading what Les posted, and now I see it. I don't think they cheaped out, as much as went for pearl dots to match white knobs. So, cool, but no cigar. I know you guys get tired of hearing this (and numerous other things I say over and over :rolleyes:) but to me, the birds ARE PRS. I never thought I'd own a PRS without them. It's just one of THE things that as soon as you look, means PRS Guitar!

Still a beaut though.

I was say that with tongue firmly placed in cheek. 'Dots' are, to me, a symbol of 'cheap' guitars as you only need a 'drill bit' to make the hole to drop a dot in. Its something that has been associated with 'cheap' guitars - if not cheap compared to other guitars, often attributed to the 'budget' version(s) of the brand. Epiphone used dots on the 'entry' Les Paul for example and didn't PRS use dots initially on their SE lines. I know some high end guitars may use dots too but as I said my comment was tongue in cheek

To me the white knobs look cheap and out of place on a guitar that has Black PU's, has black switch tips and doesn't have any white other than the 'dots'. They may well be Mammoth Ivory or carved out of Pearls but I think they are not suited to this guitar and, if I were buying, would be swapped out immediately.

I am with you too on the Birds. It was the thing that made PRS jump out when I saw my first. I can't recall that the tops were as nice as they are these days - at least not the ones in my local music store. I hated dots back then too and my local store had guitars hanging up so you could only see the edge of the guitar body which also made it easier to look at the necks and the Birds really stood out as a sign of quality and detail. Dots were 'cheap' as it only required someone with the ability to drill a hole, blocks were more a sign of craftsmanship (by comparison) as it's more difficult to cut a square to inlay the blocks but Birds were on another level. If they took that much time and care to cut out and inlay birds, then how much attention must they have put into the rest of the build...

I will NEVER own a PRS with dots (or Moons). I couldn't care less if there is a 'better' sounding/playing PRS with dots, I wouldn't buy - but I also wouldn't pick it up and try it anyway so I would never know that the 'dot' guitar was better. I would be very happy in ignorance with my bird inlay PRS that isn't quite as good - it would still be the 'best' PRS with Birds (and in Red Fire Burst) Guitar that I could find :D:D

Call me superficial if you want but I believe that I must want to pick it up and play it and part of what makes me want to pick it up is the way it looks. If I don't like the look of it, then why would I try it? Why would I want to pick it up over my other guitars that I really love the look of and are all saying 'play me, play me'?

its a good job we all have different likes otherwise we would all be playing the same instrument, the same sounds with the same amps etc etc... What I dislike another will simply adore and vice versa....

It's just one of THE things that as soon as you look, means PRS Guitar!

I totally get that, since for some time I seemed to need the birds, an Artist package (at least, and often more), and all the fancy trimmings - the best top, the best color, the best blah blah blah. The guitar as ‘work of art’ seemed really important.

But over the years, I’ve come to realize that the essence of PRS isn’t the birds and the looks; that’s merely the packaging.

The more I began to think of them as working instruments, for me, a working player making a living with them, the more I appreciated what Paul and the PRS team have accomplished in what really counts, the tone and feel.

So at this point, I don’t much care about having my guitar shout, “Hey look! I’m a PRS!!” I want it to say, “Les sounds really good on this track.”

I know what guitar I’m playing. I want my clients to care about the music I’m playing. If they like the guitar, that’s cool, but it isn’t a big deal. I’d rather the attention isn’t on the guitar.

I totally get that, since for some time I seemed to need the birds, an Artist package (at least, and often more), and all the fancy trimmings - the best top, the best color, the best blah blah blah. The guitar as ‘work of art’ seemed really important.

But over the years, I’ve come to realize that the essence PRS isn’t the birds and the looks; that’s merely the packaging.

The more I began to think of them as working instruments, for me, a working player making a living with them, the more I appreciated what Paul and the PRS team have accomplished in what really counts, the tone and feel.

So at this point, I don’t much care about having my guitar shout, “Hey look! I’m a PRS!!” I want it to say, “Les sounds really good on this track.”

I know what guitar I’m playing. I want my clients to care about the music I’m playing. If they like the guitar, that’s cool, but it isn’t a big deal.
Yeah, I know. As much as I grit my teeth when I see the dots on my NF3, it makes me realize what PRS is really about. Making the BEST guitars they can. That guitar is painted and has dots and it's simply incredible. Not a beauty queen. A player and a tone machine beyond almost all others!

Yeah, I know. As much as I grit my teeth when I see the dots on my NF3, it makes me realize what PRS is really about. Making the BEST guitars they can. That guitar is painted and has dots and it's simply incredible. Not a beauty queen. A player and a tone machine beyond almost all others!

Yes!

Hey, I’m cool with folks who think it’s about the looks of the guitar, and all the little details. More power to everyone who is into all that. And heck, I don’t have several private stocks because I hate nice looking guitars!

But the main reason I have the PS guitars is because they sound fabulous. They feel incredible to play.

The looks, great! Party! Bonus! Rock on!

So this all leads me to the birds vs moons thing. I’ve had several with the moons. I think the functionality and simplicity of moons or dots is beautiful, just like the birds. Different, sure. But equally worthy, just in a different way.

I feel the same way about an opaque finish. They’re 100% cool. A different thing isn’t necessarily a lesser thing. Appreciate it for what it is, not what it isn’t.

Gotta say, I think it’s awesome that the ivoroid knobs mirror the ivory dots on the guitar the OP posted. I like the contrast with the finish, too. I’d do that in a heartbeat.

Ehh... some days I whip out the blingy stuff with all the pearl and shell, and other days I geek out on subdued aesthetics and marvel at the dirt building up on un-plated brass.

The perceived prestige of bird inlays isn’t really there for me anymore, SE’s have ‘em, and there are plenty of inexpensive guitars out there built by companies with access to CNC machines and laser cutters that have ornate designs on their fretboards.

I think I get as excited (or more) at guitars with moons and old PRS with noticeable filler on ‘em.

Totally would!
I also remember a PS 513 in FBJ which still is a dream guitar! Also from Willcuts

^
For me (who likely will never play in public - as a public service!), the birds do not represent "prestige" so much as simply what I think of as a homage - maybe being in North Carolina and enjoying the same birds here locally (and enjoying bird watching) helps with the connection. I was simply attracted to the idea that a guitar maker would think to incorporate local birds into his line. They seem simple, subtle, but sublime (alliteration craze): not there for attention grabbing as such. Were the guitars themselves, particularly the SE line, not highly regarded for providing a level of quality at a give price, the birds would not be a buy-for-the-birds item. That being said, two PRS's of similar quality, one with birds, one with dots, the birds would win (for me).

^
For me (who likely will never play in public - as a public service!), the birds do not represent "prestige" so much as simply what I think of as a homage - maybe being in North Carolina and enjoying the same birds here locally (and enjoying bird watching) helps with the connection. I was simply attracted to the idea that a guitar maker would think to incorporate local birds into his line. They seem simple, subtle, but sublime (alliteration craze): not there for attention grabbing as such. Were the guitars themselves, particularly the SE line, not highly regarded for providing a level of quality at a give price, the birds would not be a buy-for-the-birds item. That being said, two PRS's of similar quality, one with birds, one with dots, the birds would win (for me).

That’s cool. Maybe it depends on when you were introduced to PRS? Birds used to be a significant upcharge.

With PRS being absolutely incredible guitars, exceptionally consistent and incredible tone with superb clarity and dynamics - regardless of the colour, the fret inlays etc, my attitude is why not buy the guitar in the colour you want and with Bird Inlays if that's what you want?

I don't have to settle for an Opaque Gold Top with Moon inlays because there is a Fire Burst Red version with Birds somewhere that will sound as good, play as good and make me feel happy and proud to play it. The gold top with moons may well appeal more to someone else who doesn't want the 'flash' of the stained Maple cap or the birds for whatever reason that's as equally valid as the reason I want birds.

In general, its not costing more and its like going to a garage and picking the 'new' car you want in the colour you want. It's not vastly different from the same model that's in a different colour. You don't have to settle with the yellow car just because that's in the showroom as you can pick a red one in the garage on the other side of town if you prefer to have a red car.

if you are buying a 'used' car, then maybe you might have to make do with the 'yellow' version of that model because that's the only used model in the price range, have to put up with what ever aspects the original purchaser selected but if you are buying new, you can buy the colour you want in the spec you want.

If I don't have to buy dots, buy the model I want in 'blue' because that's the only 2nd hand version available because I can find the model I want, in the colour I want with Birds on the neck when I buy new. If I walked into a PRS dealers shop and see 5 brand new PRS DGT's and 2 of them have moons and 3 have Birds, I am only going to try the ones with Birds. If one of the Birds is Red, that is the one I am much more likely to buy and if its 'not' in the same 'ball-park' tonally to the other 4, then I will look around to find another retailer with a Red DGT with birds but I can't see that 1 red DGT in the first shop being a million miles away from the other 4, playing and sounding very differently, have some 'build quality' issues that makes it ta terrible buy. Its likely to be incredibly similar to the other 4 in both tone and playability and I would be very surprised if the build quality was lower than the others.

Point is, as a buyer of 'new' guitars, I have the choice to buy the model I want in the colour I want with the inlays I want and will still get an exceptionally high quality instrument with great tone. I can understand that if you are buying used, you may not get the choice of colour and inlays - not unless you are prepared to wait on the off chance that someone else may decide to sell their guitar in the spec you wanted. I don't feel like I have bought guitars with bad tone and/or playability issues. My 594 for example feels amazing to play and not different to other 594's. It sounds amazing too - but in fairness to the sound, I haven't been able to A/B mine with my (or any other) set-up that would be a fair test against any other 594. I am sure I haven't compromised on sound or playability just to get a Fire Red one with Birds because that's the aesthetic that I greatly prefer.

I admit that Aesthetics do play a 'big' part in my guitar preferences. I am not going to pick up a guitar I consider to be 'ugly' in a shop to even find out whether I like the way it sounds or plays. If it doesn't make me want to pick it up there, then its unlikely I will want to pick it up at home and even more so if I was playing in Public - regardless of how good it sounds and/or plays - I won't even try it to know what I am missing. If someone doesn't like a BC Rich Warlock they aren't going to try it even if its the best playing and sounding double humbucker guitar in the shop....

With PRS being absolutely incredible guitars, exceptionally consistent and incredible tone with superb clarity and dynamics - regardless of the colour, the fret inlays etc, my attitude is why not buy the guitar in the colour you want and with Bird Inlays if that's what you want?

You should absolutely buy what appeals to you, for any reason or combination of reasons! Heck, everyone’s happier to get precisely what appeals to them, whether it’s tone, looks, weight, features, and whatever else. It’s all good. And no one needs to have to rationalize their preferences. We like what we like. That’s enough.

At the moment, my dream PS is an all mahogany McCarty with a traditional stain of some kind, BRW fretboard and 3 P-90s. No bling. Moons. One guy on earth will dig it: Me.

Well, eventually when my son the Fender player comes around to realizing I have better taste in guitars than he does, he will, too. ;)

At the moment, my dream PS is an all mahogany McCarty with a traditional stain of some kind, BRW fretboard and 3 P-90s. No bling. Moons. One guy on earth will dig it: Me.
I have two guitars with 3 P90s. One is solid black limba. The other is mahogany with a maple cap and an African Blackwood board - extremely versatile guitar.

Your dream PS would be killer.

Ehh... I don’t know, that sounds dope!

Well, eventually when my son the Fender player comes around to realizing I have better taste in guitars than he does, he will, too. ;)

Ha! He’ll come around, with age comes wisdom.

I prefer the birds, but PRS guitars are just the most beautiful playing guitars I've put in my hands over the course of 44 years of playing guitar!

Ever since playing a friend's in the early 90's, I was so pumped when I bought my first in 1998, a beautiful dark green CU24!!!
I wish I would have kept that guitar!

Back