Modding question about the bridge on the PRS Store.

darkscience

Hello everyone,

A quick intro, I am new to guitar playing, I have been playing for about 3 months on a First Act Acoustic guitar from Wal-mart. I am in love with the hobby and play every day for about 1 hour. I wanted to upgrade my guitar and had the financial means to go about $1k on the guitar. Without doing any homework I went to my local GC and played around on different guitars. I narrowed my choice down to a LP Studio and the S2 CU24 that I walked out with. The S2 was on clearance for $1.1K, and it sounded really nice to my ears and the neck felt terrific to me. Unfortunatley I am having a bit of buyers remorse after reading some reviews, most of them stating it is an overpriced guitar, and that the SE is a better choice. This purchase was made this past weekend. I do have the option to return it, but IDK, I might be one of those people who are never completely satisfied so I have decided to instead, begin modding and doing upgrades, unless someone convinces me to switch.

My modding intentions is as follows: PRS S2 Custom 24 - Antique White
-Black out all the hardware (Tuners, screws, strap holders etc ), How do you think I could go about blacking out the bridge? The store only sells nickel and gold. Are those on the store the american models? What is the difference between the ones on the store and my guitar?
-Switch pick-ups, ( I like active pickups ) Would active pickups work? Do I need to do soldering and rewiring? Or is this plug and play other then height adjustments?
-Possible add a pickgaurd, do they even make one for the custom?

Thanks!
-Geyzer

Hi and welcome to the forum! I'm not an expert by any means, but here's my $0.02 First, don't let what others say dictate what you like. An S2 is a great guitar, I'm sure, but I've never played one. I have an SE, too, and it's ok, but I'm sure the S2 is better.

Second, I don't know about the bridge, but if you want to add active pickups to it, you'll have to find room for a battery, and yes, you will have to rewire it them, but it shouldn't be too difficult, just find a wiring diagram and go from there.

I don't know if they make pickguards for the S2 line or not, but you'd have to drill holes into the front of it, so think about that before you go that far. I personally hate pickguards and can't imagine drilling a hole in the front of my PRS, but its your guitar, do whatever you want!

Good luck!

Congrats on the S2, they are really nice axes, definitely a lot more guitar than the LP Studio. After owning SE's, an S2, and a couple USA models I definitely wouldn't say that SE's are necessarily better than the S2 but in reality they are just dolled up SE guitars that are made in the USA with locking tuners, a PRS USA nut, clear lampshade knobs, and the beloved logo on the headstock. The CU24 S2 has the same tremolo bridge that the SE's have and the same HFS bridge and Vintage Bass pickups that a lot of the SE's have. If you are all about modding than I think the SE is a better option tho. Of course you can mod out either one but the S2 already locking tuners on it and some of the bells and whistles on it. I personally like modding the SE's with a change in pickups, nut, tuners, aesthetics (sometimes) and refinishes. You can black out the hardware on either one but I'm not for sure if PRS sales a blacked out bridge. A USA tremolo bridge WILL require modification to install. I suggest a black hipshot bridge that will be a direct replacement with no mod. The S2 already has adequate locking tuners but an SE does not. Several models are direct fit... Grover 406 mini rotomatics and Schaller M6's to name a few. I like putting the USA Phase II's on mine even tho it requires drilling. You can do active pickups in either one. With EMG's you get the solderless install system that has the 25k pots with it.

Its fine either way... All I did to my S2 was change the pickups and bridge on it and it was on point. You can always return the S2 and use the money to get a good SE and have plenty left over to get pickups, tuners, nut etc... take it down to your local music store or tech and they will get it together for you.

Find someone who's good at powder coating for the bridge, keep in mind that will be flat black though.

Good question.

I would almost advise you to return it, play some more guitars (SE among them) and THEN make the final decision. That way you won't second guess yourself. Unless you end up going for the SE because of the price difference, of course. Get the one that speaks to you.

The S2 is not overpriced, and for the price you got it, that was a good deal, IMHO.

For the number of changes you want to make to the guitar, and considering you just started playing, I would recommend one of two options:

1. Take the guitar back, and find something that matches your aesthetic and functional requirements better. You want active pickups - unless you get an SE Paul Allender, you are going to have to mod your PRS, and that is a non-zero cost - and yes, involves soldering and wiring, because active pickups mean adding a battery where there was none before (which means finding a spot for the battery). You're going to spent hundreds of dollars making the changes you want. You might be better off buying a different, cheaper guitar (of a different brand, dare I say) so you can have the look you want at a more affordable cost. Please, no pick-guard on the S2. If you want a pick-guard, then the other PRS guitar you might want to consider is the S2 Standard 24, which would make it really easy to add Active Pickups, and should be available at a slightly lower cost that the S2 CU24 (and it comes it Antique White):

http://www.prsguitars.com/s2standard24/

2. Keep the S2, leave it stock. After a year or so, you will know whether you want to change anything else functionally about the guitar. At that point, either trade it in for what you want (if available), or modify the S2 (if practical).

IMHO, YMMV, blah blah blah

Thanks everyone,

I love the way the guitar plays and sounds, and I am 90% happy with the cosmetic side of it. I think the guitar would look best blacked out, I think the pickup upgrade is not something I am very serious about yet, like some have said, I am just learning. Other than the SE guitars, I can not think of any other brand/guitar that I would prefer over this one without spending more than what I have paid. Blacked out tuners seem to run about $90.00, I think my main problem is blacking out the bridge, I do not know how that would turn out. Thanks for all the advice.

-Geyzer

PS would I be able to just add pickup covers? Have not looked for those yet, but some black chrome covers would make me happy with the pickups.

Thanks everyone,

I love the way the guitar plays and sounds, and I am 90% happy with the cosmetic side of it. I think the guitar would look best blacked out, I think the pickup upgrade is not something I am very serious about yet, like some have said, I am just learning. Other than the SE guitars, I can not think of any other brand/guitar that I would prefer over this one without spending more than what I have paid. Blacked out tuners seem to run about $90.00, I think my main problem is blacking out the bridge, I do not know how that would turn out. Thanks for all the advice.

-Geyzer

PS would I be able to just add pickup covers? Have not looked for those yet, but some black chrome covers would make me happy with the pickups.

Pickup covers are an easy mod (relatively easy). I got covers for one of my guitars here:

http://www.philadelphialuthiertools.com/humbucker/

They carry black nickel ones, which is probably what you want.

Yeah, black tuners are under $100. The bridge is indeed your biggest challenge. You would either have to swap out for a different non-PRS bridge, or get yours powder coated, as vchizzle suggested.

EDIT: I found a third-party "PRS-style" black finish trem bridge at a website called WD Music - they seem to be out of the Ft Myers, FL area (they have a retail store too). I have no idea whether they are reliable/trustworthy - just a random search result for "PRS Bridge black".

Last edited:
Only trust your own judgement when it comes to guitars.After only 3 month of playing the guitar you should focus on learning to play and progress.Buy new strings and a decent amp before you spend money on mods.The best local teacher is also a good investment.

Last edited:
Yeah, missed the 3 month deal :)

1: As has been said: don't trust reviews. Trust your own ears, and if there is no nagging voice saying "I like the guitar, but there's just this little thing about the sound that bugs me" - listen to that voice. If no such voice is there, go for it. You say you didn't do any homework; I beg to differ :) You did EACTLY the right kind of homework, playing the guitars. name any guitar, and I'll find bad reviews of it. Tastes are different, and there are no way to get around that. Go with your taste, not with your internet.

2: You say you like active pickups, but I wonder what you base this on? I would hazard the guess that you like active pickups because some of your favourite bands play with them, is this fairly correct? If so, see answer number 1 above :). As in, what matters is how you hear the instrument you yourself is playing on. Also remember that the amp matters a lot.

I was checking out the Hipshot Tremolo that was suggested to me earlier. Anyone have any experience with these? Is the quality as good as the PRS S2 Tremolo? They make these in black and it looks from first inspection no routing/drilling is required.

Regards,
Geyzer

Yeah, missed the 3 month deal :)

1: As has been said: don't trust reviews. Trust your own ears, and if there is no nagging voice saying "I like the guitar, but there's just this little thing about the sound that bugs me" - listen to that voice. If no such voice is there, go for it. You say you didn't do any homework; I beg to differ :) You did EACTLY the right kind of homework, playing the guitars. name any guitar, and I'll find bad reviews of it. Tastes are different, and there are no way to get around that. Go with your taste, not with your internet.

2: You say you like active pickups, but I wonder what you base this on? I would hazard the guess that you like active pickups because some of your favourite bands play with them, is this fairly correct? If so, see answer number 1 above :). As in, what matters is how you hear the instrument you yourself is playing on. Also remember that the amp matters a lot.

Thanks for the advice, bottom line is I love this guitar, it sounds the best and plays the best to me in my hands. I always do review searches after a big purchase and I always start to get a small amount of remorse when I see some bad reviews. I am going to continue learning to play, that is what matters most. This is probably more guitar than a beginner needs. I love my PRS S2

Congrats on the S2, they are really nice axes, definitely a lot more guitar than the LP Studio. After owning SE's, an S2, and a couple USA models I definitely wouldn't say that SE's are necessarily better than the S2 but in reality they are just dolled up SE guitars that are made in the USA with locking tuners, a PRS USA nut, clear lampshade knobs, and the beloved logo on the headstock. The CU24 S2 has the same tremolo bridge that the SE's have and the same HFS bridge and Vintage Bass pickups that a lot of the SE's have. If you are all about modding than I think the SE is a better option tho. Of course you can mod out either one but the S2 already locking tuners on it and some of the bells and whistles on it. I personally like modding the SE's with a change in pickups, nut, tuners, aesthetics (sometimes) and refinishes. You can black out the hardware on either one but I'm not for sure if PRS sales a blacked out bridge. A USA tremolo bridge WILL require modification to install. I suggest a black hipshot bridge that will be a direct replacement with no mod. The S2 already has adequate locking tuners but an SE does not. Several models are direct fit... Grover 406 mini rotomatics and Schaller M6's to name a few. I like putting the USA Phase II's on mine even tho it requires drilling. You can do active pickups in either one. With EMG's you get the solderless install system that has the 25k pots with it.

Its fine either way... All I did to my S2 was change the pickups and bridge on it and it was on point. You can always return the S2 and use the money to get a good SE and have plenty left over to get pickups, tuners, nut etc... take it down to your local music store or tech and they will get it together for you.
A couple of points need clearing up here:

1. S2s aren't just dolled up SEs, I've owned both and there is a noticeable difference in fit, finish and feel between a S2 and SE. S2s feel like core US models, SEs don't;
2. The pickups in SE and S2 are NOT the same;
3. The electronics (pots etc) are also different;
4. A USA tremolo will NOT require modification to fit into a S2 (just ask John Mann).

Thanks for the advice, bottom line is I love this guitar, it sounds the best and plays the best to me in my hands. I always do review searches after a big purchase and I always start to get a small amount of remorse when I see some bad reviews. I am going to continue learning to play, that is what matters most. This is probably more guitar than a beginner needs. I love my PRS S2

It is definitely not more than you need. I promise you'll progress faster on this than any first act chunk of plywood on the planet. A quality instrument that is properly setup is a major asset to learning. It doesn't matter what instrument you are talking about, just the way it works.

Thanks for the clarification. I own several SE's, an S2, and a couple USA core models and they all have a different feel from each other. The cores definately don't feel like the S2's in my opinion. Especially with the core models being violin carved with a V12 finish. I understand the pickups are designated SE HFS/ Vintage Bass and S2 HFS/ Vintage Bass but plug up and listen to them back to back. I couldn't hear any noticeable differences in tone in sound when using an SE CU24 and a S2 CU24. Both lacking the response and clarity of the standard HFS. And yes the pots and wring in the S2's are of better quality no doubt. And I was referring to the SE needing bridge modification, not the S2.

DO NOT POWDER COAT a bridge... TONE SUCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

USA made PRS bridges or MannMade USA bridges will fit an S2. I do offer them in Black Chrome on a custom order basis.

There you have it from the inventor of the bridge system. Heed his word. Also remember that any modifications you make will actually lower the value of the instrument if you sell the S2 (to buy another PRS, of course). If that doesn't deter you, then full speed ahead.

T Also remember that any modifications you make will actually lower the value of the instrument if you sell the S2 (to buy another PRS, of course). If that doesn't deter you, then full speed ahead.

I agree with that but the only exception would be upgrading the bridge to a MannMade one, that would add value to me personally.

First, slow down, take a deep breath, and relax. 3 months playing, and because of some opinions you read, a PRS S2 may not be good enough?????? I have a friend who is in a big time gigging band, and has been for years and he's never owned one guitar as nice as you just bought! He's a pro.

Before re you take a guitar as good as this and start making all kinds of changes, I'd enjoy what you have for a while. The leap from First Act to PRS S2 3 months in, is like getting you r drivers license and a 1995 Yugo, then 3 months later getting a new Stingray Vette, then saying your need to mod it because it's just not what you want.;)

You have a GREAT guitar that while some of us here are spoiled, is better than many serious guitar players will ever own. Enjoy it and ply it and Develop you skills. What at least a year before you change anything. IMHO

Back