Met A Bass Player At Work Yesterday. ..

tabl10s

who plays a Peavey. When I made a face and replied "Peavy", he said it was a good one. I then replied "who are you?" His reply was "I play for Boston". 'Doh!

I have a Peavey bass. It's good. Sure a lot lighter than the P-bass I had before and sound great. Don't think I'll ever get a tour with Boston however!

It's always a good thing to learn a lesson in the most embarrassing way, because for the rest of your life you'll remember it.

Boston? What do those guys know? The guitar player doesn't even record with an amp. :D

Boston? What do those guys know? The guitar player doesn't even record with an amp. :D

I know, right? When's the last time they had a hit? I think it was before I was old enough to drive. Probably because of that damn Peavey bass. Needs a GG bass. :laugh:

Seriously though. I love me some Boston. Always great to meet a successful musician who is cool. :top:

I regularly talk to the original drummer for Eddie Money on his way to gigs via First Class(he's a guitar player too).

Wait, wait, wait!!! You're all missing the elephant in the room...

You met a bass player with a job?????

Wait, wait, wait!!! You're all missing the elephant in the room...

You met a bass player with a job?????

I don't know any bass players who aren't busier and more in demand than guitar players when it comes to the music biz.

Nor do I know any unemployed/homeless bass players crashing at their girlfriend's, while I know plenty of guitar players who meet that description.

In fact, despite all the bass player and drummer jokes, they're more in demand than guitar players, of whom there are ten zillion looking for a gig or a handout.

So I think you're a little confused about who's who. ;)

Agree with Les - I tell anyone that wants to get in a band to learn to play play the bass or drums - they are much more in demand and can get jobs / gigs! At least to me, it always seems like bands are always looking for bass players (and drummers).

Agree with Les - I tell anyone that wants to get in a band to learn to play play the bass or drums - they are much more in demand and can get jobs / gigs! At least to me, it always seems like bands are always looking for bass players (and drummers).
This is very true around my area. The bass player wanted ads outnumber guitar player ads 10 to 1. I started seriously playing bass about a year ago and it's been lots of fun. It's even made me a better guitar player to a degree.

I started seriously playing bass about a year ago and it's been lots of fun. It's even made me a better guitar player to a degree.

It IS fun! A while back I decided to take some lessons on bass, because I was interested in writing better bass lines for my projects. I was lucky enough to be taught by one of the guys who did Motown sessions after James Jamerson passed away, and I found it fascinating.

The rhythm section is the foundation of any band. I don't care how good the guitar players and singers are, if the rhythm section is smokin' you have a good band. And if they suck, the band sucks.

Too many folks don't understand the subtlety involved in creating a groove, but every good song has one. Playing bass and drums really well are specialties that deserve some respect.

People who play bass guitar aren't very hard to find. Of course the good ones, actual Bass players who know what they are doing and can play for the SONG, all seem to have multiple gigs and are busier than a one legged man in an @$$ kicking contest. The others I think are guitar players who decided to pick up a bass to try and get work. It has been my experience that guitar players don't tend to make good bass players. I always tell people that guitar players are a dime a dozen, but quality bass players and drummers are rare. But when you find good ones they are a real treat to work with. A good rhythm section makes everybody's job easier and can really elevate a band above the norm.

Back