Memorable guitar solo

You guys are going to think I'm weird but I can barely stomach rock and roll all night by kiss. However, That 2 measure lick ace does after the solo is cool. The solo on the cradle will rock by EVH rocks.

Doing so much with so little always gets me.

HuggyB just listening to Spiral awesome band and guitar solo.
Yea the Crusaders were solid and Larry does a rip up on that one, good to see it exposes you to some old skool fusion. This IS a great topic BB998 seeing all the other inspirations, some I'd never thought would be mentioned (The Commodores), and some I knew should be up there (Terry Kath, David Gilmore).

My favourites are a bit less obvious. I have always loved George Harrison's solo on Something. Years ago Sting did a cover of Little Wing and the solo blew my away. I believe it was played by Hiram Bullock. My top three is rounded off by the solo Craig Ross plays on Lenny Cravitz's song Sister.

You guys have selected some good solos. I love most everything listed already.

I'll add some of my faves. Parts of Dazed and Confused live from The song remains the same album are fantastic. Hendrix All Along the Watchtower. I totally got chills the first time I heard Surfing with the Alien by Satriani. There's also some poignant short licks in Heartbreaker and Give me Shelter by the stones. Oh, there are just too many to choose from.....I don't have a favorite.....I love them all.....it's like picking a favorite child :p Oh, You can't leave out Pink Floyd's solo in Time.

Way too many to pick, and a lot of favorites have been named, but I'll add a few that aren't on here yet...

"Goodbye To Romance" - Randy Rhoads, "Blizzard Of Ozz"
"Watermelon In Easter Hay" - Frank Zappa, "Joe's Garage"
"Gracefully" - Nalle Colt/Vintage Trouble, "Bomb Shelter Sessions"
"James And The Cold Gun" (live version) - Alan Murphy/Kate Bush, "Live At The Hammersmith"

No Comfortably Numb?!

This!
Comfortably Numb and ABITW part 2 are probably burned into my brain more than just about any other Pink Floyd. These two songs really got me into Pink Floyd.
A couple other favorites for me are Hotel California - the Eagles, Mississippi Queen - Mountain, Flirting With Disaster - Molly Hatchet, Fade to Black - Metallica, Holy Wars... - Megadeth, The Trooper - Iron Maiden, War Pigs - Black Sabbath, and Blackbird - Alter Bridge

Last edited:
Too hard to pick just one, so I will go top three:

Michael Schenker, UFO - The live (Strangers In The Night) version of "lights Out"
Alex Lifeson, Rush - The live (All The World's A Stage) version of "By Tor and the Snow Dog"
Jimmy Page, Led Zeppelin - The live (The Song Remains The Same) version of "No Quarter."

I guess there is a theme developing here with the live albums, but these three solos formed the very core of my guitar sensibilities as I was learning to play

So everyone's listing the Mt. Rushmore of soloing, so I'll offer up a couple not so obvious, honorable mentions.

"Hit Me With Your Best Shot" Neil Gerado
"My Sharona" Berton Averre

Back