McCarty 594 Pickup Height

Dave-b

Hi guys, (first post).
Just bought a Core MCarty.

Bass pickup sounds fuzzy, not much clarity.

Pressing down the Low E on the last fret, height to string is about 1.5mm from the screw head.

PRS website says 3.6mm for humbuckers.

Are the pickups usually this high as stock?

Last edited:
Try lowering the pickup a bit, then raise the pole pieces a hair and take it from there.

Hi guys, (first post).
Just bought a Core MCarty.

Bass pickup sounds fuzzy, not much clarity.

Pressing down the Low E on the last fret, height to string is about 1.5mm from the screw head.

PRS website says 3.6mm for humbuckers.

Are the pickups usually this high as stock?
What amp? How are your amp’s tone knobs set?

Congrats on the McCarty!!!

I would grab a screwdriver and try lowering the pickups 1/2 turn at a time, you'll hear it when the pickups are too low. Keep a record of how many turns you lowered them in case you want to put them back exactly where they were. Some people like pickups low, some like them high but all that matters is how they sound so use your ears when adjusting them. Start with the pickup you use the most and when you have it dialed in adjust the other pickup so the volume levels are similar or the bridge is a little louder if that's your thing.

Last edited:
I noticed PRS revised their height guide. Measure from bottom of string to top of cover, not pole screw. I then find the best tone is about 1/2 screw turn lower. Perhaps the amp’s bass is set too high?

Back