McCarty 594 whats your pickup height settings?

greyhatninja

Those who have a McCarty 594, I’m curious what your preferred pickups heights are for bass/treble sides for each of the neck/bridge? Do you like closer to the string than spec or lowered more than spec typically?

I raised the neck p/u and lowered the bridge p/u from factory spec, but only by a fraction, only did this as I lowered the action and felt the bridge p/u was too close to the strings, I don’t really have any accurate measurements but generally go on feel and what sounds good,

I will preface this by saying I found the string gauge is impactful on the tone with a given pickup height. The settings I have with by DC and SC 594 are both using 11-52 in D-Standard/Drop-C, respectively.

Bridge: DC 594/SC 594
Bass Height 3.2 mm/ 2.8 mm
Treble Height 3.2 mm/ 2.6 mm

Neck: DC 594
Bass Height 3.6 mm/ 3.2 mm
Treble Height 3.2 mm/ 3.2 mm

I never use factory setting on any guitar. I don't even look at them. I start flush with the pickup rings/pickguard and adjust one at a time up/down 1/4, 1/2, and full turns at a time until it sounds best to my ears. Then tweak to taste for balance levels between both pickups. A couple days later I'll go back at it with fresh ears to make minor adjustments.

Typically the neck is somewhere near flush with the pickup ring, that's where the 5815LT neck shines to me. The bridge typically is a little higher, depending on how how hot it is. The 5815LT I run even higher, but honestly I've swapped it from the bridge with a 5909 and a 5708 in two guitars with LT. The third is about to get swapped all together, probably humbucker P90.

There is no right or wrong answer when it comes to pickup height. Whatever sounds best to you through your rig and playing style.

Last edited:
Also, with these humbucker pickups are you supposed to measure with the string held down at the last fret to the metal plate or the middle of the bobbin? According to the instructions it says bobbin or with the plate but that would give slightly different readings as the bobbin that came from factory is slightly higher than the cover.

The height should be measured from the cover to the string. I do not push down on the string when measuring. Individual pole pieces can then be adjusted to get the best sound for individual strings.

Back