Mark Holcomb Ltd Edition

Congrats on getting yours guys! Gives me hope that mines not far behind! Did you guys preorder yours?

Also, are those wood tuning keys?

Thanks! I ordered mine from Sweetwater on the last day of the order window (but since they were only letting me pick from stuff they'd already ordered, I don't think the order window actually mattered in my case). Apparently I had first dibs on BGB. I also considered Charcoal, but that would have taken another month, according to the sales guy. As it turned out, the early May quote for BGB came in a week early.

As for the tuning keys, I can't inspect mine until Wednesday afternoon, but I'm pretty sure they're ebony from looking at the pic of the back of my headstock zoomed in.

Thanks everyone!

Disconnekt, I was actually just checking the other colors out on sweetwater and both the black gold burst and the jade do look stunning. I'll definitely look forward to seeing more pictures of your one in BGB once it comes in.

For the preorder question, I actually placed my order within a day or two of the original January announcement. According to my sales rep, I was the very first order placed through sweetwater.

For the tuning peg question, they might be ebony but it's hard to tell because it feels like they have the same satin finish as the rest of the guitar.

Also, I noticed a question earlier in the thread about the headstock matching the body. It's actually an ebony veneer with the satin finish over it.

Thanks everyone!

Disconnekt, I was actually just checking the other colors out on sweetwater and both the black gold burst and the jade do look stunning. I'll definitely look forward to seeing more pictures of your one in BGB once it comes in.

For the preorder question, I actually placed my order within a day or two of the original January announcement. According to my sales rep, I was the very first order placed through sweetwater.

For the tuning peg question, they might be ebony but it's hard to tell because it feels like they have the same satin finish as the rest of the guitar.

Also, I noticed a question earlier in the thread about the headstock matching the body. It's actually an ebony veneer with the satin finish over it.

Sweet! Thanks for the info. I'm super stoked!! Everything you just said is exactly what I wanted to hear! Enjoy your awesome new axe!

Is it just me or the holcomb that are being delivered don't have that "wow" factor to their tops?
I can barely see any figuring. The satin finish doesn't help either.

I think they look really good! I am not too hung up on the top though; more excited about the playability and tone. To ME.....the important stuff. ;)

Ya.....I realize someone spending the money wants the crazy top, but you do have to be realistic. Maple figuring varies and what is a "good" top is a matter of opinion. If you're looking for these guitars to have a top like Marks personal guitar, good luck.....that is a private stock top.

Main selliing points for me were:

1. 25.5 inch scale
2. Wood selection (maple neck, ebony freboard)
3. Fixed Bridge
4. The fact that it is a Mark's signature model and I saw him playing the model live and it looked so epic.

To be honest I haven't paid much attention to the quality of guitar tops in general. I mean PRS private stock tops look amazing but I have never thought of buying a guitar simply because it had a good top. I can easily see why some people might say that the model isn't worth it for what you have paid for. Well you know how it works; you are paying to purchase your guitar hero's model...a share of his musicianship perhaps. I know I will never be as good as Mark or make a living writing sick tunes or touring with my band. For a person like me who works 9-5 everyday this is a getaway from all real life B.S I deal with on a daily basis.

^^ Well said man. I agree. It's more about the specs than the top (though I can still appreciate what it means to have a gorgeous top). But more importantly, it's got a that certain something that to me is far greater than the sum of its parts.

Plus, I think the quality of the photograph or display has a lot to do with the appearance of the top as well, especially in satin. Most of the insane looking pictures of Holcomb's guitar look like they may have had the contrast bumped a bit, and although none of the other examples I've seen look as beautifully figured as that one, there's a huge difference between looking at the pics on my iPad (on which they look a bit flat) and looking at them on the calibrated display I use for photo editing (on which they have pretty great figuring and the colors jump off the screen). I've got a pretty nice camera and Adobe Lightroom, so once I have mine, I'll try to get some pics that do it justice.

And even if it's not the best top ever, I can't imagine it'll be anything less than a monster guitar!

Plus, I think the quality of the photograph or display has a lot to do with the appearance of the top as well, especially in satin. Most of the insane looking pictures of Holcomb's guitar look like they may have had the contrast bumped a bit, and although none of the other examples I've seen look as beautifully figured as that one, there's a huge difference between looking at the pics on my iPad (on which they look a bit flat) and looking at them on the calibrated display I use for photo editing (on which they have pretty great figuring and the colors jump off the screen). I've got a pretty nice camera and Adobe Lightroom, so once I have mine, I'll try to get some pics that do it justice.

And even if it's not the best top ever, I can't imagine it'll be anything less than a monster guitar!

Agreed. I have a Canon 70D at home which I'll use to take pics of the guitar once it arrives. I also use an Apple 27" Thunderbolt Display, so it'll look killer as a desktop background. :)

Well, called Mr. H today..
No news for the rest of you, but he took my payment info and said mine will be one of the next ones shipped out :) :) :)

Off topic but hopefully the current situation in Baltimore won't delay the delivery time :( and hope everyone is okay

"Get a djent tone machine with the PRS Mark Holcomb Limited Edition guitar"

I think this guitar will be much more capable than simply producing a "djent" tone (just listen to the newest Periphery records!). There are a lot of great PRS and/or non-PRS guitars with very similar specs (maple neck, ebony fretboard, mahogany body, fixed bridge, etc) capable of producing so many good tones. I think the term djent is being overused as a marketing tool to target djent folks.

Last edited:

I think this guitar will be much more capable than simply producing a "djent" tone (just listen to the newest Periphery records!). There are a lot of great PRS and/or non-PRS guitars with very similar specs you (maple neck, ebony fretboard, mahogany body, fixed bridge, etc) capable of producing so many good tones. I think the term djent is being overused as a marketing tool to target djent folks.

I was just about to post the exact same thing. I had only scrolled as far as the eBay link, so I didn't see your comment til I went to post my own comment.

Getting so sick of "djent" being an all-encompassing marketing term.

I think this guitar will be much more capable than simply producing a "djent" tone (just listen to the newest Periphery records!). There are a lot of great PRS and/or non-PRS guitars with very similar specs (maple neck, ebony fretboard, mahogany body, fixed bridge, etc) capable of producing so many good tones. I think the term djent is being overused as a marketing tool to target djent folks.

I hate the term Djent! I don't understand why with all the descriptive words in the English language that we can't find a better way to describe the tones and style of music, instead the world seems to be using a rather pathetic onomatopoeic word to describe it.

She's a beauty! But I got called out to work out of state, so I haven't had a chance to play or take any pictures yet. Soon though...

Edit: just kidding. My iPad can take halfway decent pictures, so this will do until I unearth the Nikon from my vehicle tomorrow (and take some pics in the sunlight). In person the color is a lot lighter and less orange than Sweetwater's pics show, except toward the edges and around the back where it fades into a beautiful red-orange.
image.jpg1.jpg
image.jpg2.jpg
image.jpg3.jpg

image.jpg4.jpg

Last edited:
Wow that is gorgeous!! I didn't think I'd like the BGB as much as I do. Hope you can get back to it soon so you can actually play it!

Oh no, it came with me... I had to intercept it at the FedEx warehouse on my way out of town so it didn't get delivered to an empty house, haha. I'll play it as soon as I'm not horribly busy or dead asleep (which will probably be about 2 pm tomorrow)!

Back