Major problem with SE 245 - Please Help!

I hope that they work out for you. I think that it is good that you are taking your time to evaluate them. Sometimes when I swap out pickups the difference can be noticeably considerable immediately, for better or worse. Other times the change is not so evident and I might question why I spent the time and money. I find that it is only when I quit going through each permutation of the selector switch/pots and get my head out of expecting to hear something widely different and just play normally, that their true character will become clear.

Absolutely true Charlie. In fact what I heard first of all with these - I must say I wasn't immediately impressed with them and did exactly as you said - wondered why I'd shelled out and gone through the hassle. However, I think you are spot on right with your other observation that it does take a while to get used to what you're hearing, how to tweak both amp and guitar.

All told though - I have had a good few hours with the Abraxas set now and I have to say they are very nice indeed. And I promise thats not just because I feel I have to say that - I'd be first to say if I thought I could help others avoid a mistake. No - these are the real deal. Sound is actually quite hard to describe - creamy and clear at the same time. Different flavour to the stock pups - which are no slouches themselves as others have pointed out. Bit more clarity and harmonic interest - bit more note separation and sustain.

Played with my jamming pals last night - these pups seem to cut through a bit better. The split coil is excellent for a bit of jangle and a bit of greasy funk. Lead tones have a lovely warm rasp - I can hear the Santana idea in these - but they do a lot more than just Carlos as well. All in all - worth the £/$ and the panic - the guitar is now very interesting to play, very versatile indeed - and it looks great too - will post a photo when I can see how to do so.

Cheers again

Joe

Absolutely true Charlie. In fact what I heard first of all with these - I must say I wasn't immediately impressed with them and did exactly as you said - wondered why I'd shelled out and gone through the hassle. However, I think you are spot on right with your other observation that it does take a while to get used to what you're hearing, how to tweak both amp and guitar.

All told though - I have had a good few hours with the Abraxas set now and I have to say they are very nice indeed. And I promise thats not just because I feel I have to say that - I'd be first to say if I thought I could help others avoid a mistake. No - these are the real deal. Sound is actually quite hard to describe - creamy and clear at the same time. Different flavour to the stock pups - which are no slouches themselves as others have pointed out. Bit more clarity and harmonic interest - bit more note separation and sustain.

Played with my jamming pals last night - these pups seem to cut through a bit better. The split coil is excellent for a bit of jangle and a bit of greasy funk. Lead tones have a lovely warm rasp - I can hear the Santana idea in these - but they do a lot more than just Carlos as well. All in all - worth the £/$ and the panic - the guitar is now very interesting to play, very versatile indeed - and it looks great too - will post a photo when I can see how to do so.

Cheers again

Joe

I love a happy ending! As for pics, you have to upload them to a photo sharing site like Flikr or Photobucket. You can then copy/paste into your post, or use the Image button on the tool bar.

Back