Looking to buy a Custom 24 and have ?

Julian703

Hi everyone, just joined, first post.
I bought my first les paul after owning strats for 25 years and after a few months with it, its going to be sold for a PRS custom 24. The neck is slightly too thick (traditional model), I hate where the selector switch is located and its unbalanced and uncomfortable to play. So I want to get some info before I start shopping and I would appreciate any help. Sorry for all the questions!

1) How is the market for prs right now? Are they still selling well? If I need to sell this PRS that I am buying is it a long wait? I just sold an old strat and it took me a week. Obviously I intend to keep it but I like to know that I can sell it in a cash emergency.

2) Which neck would you recommend? I will be trying them in the store but its nice to know what to look for. I like the fender soft v and the chunky c necks work too. Anything bigger or smaller doesnt feel right to me. Trying to see what is a similar fit in PRS land.

3) what finishes would you recommend? I am pretty open here on the color, the flame pattern is more important to me than the color. Just curious what is popular.

4) Id like a used one but I prefer the selector switch in the newer models. Is it better then to get a new one and get the warranty than something a year or two old, gently used? Its hard for me to get a feel for what they sell for. Id just like a 10 top, no artist or private stock.

Any other info would be greatly appreciated. Also if you have a favorite store that sell PRS in the DC area or online please let me know.

Welcome Julian.
I'm not an expert in most of what you're asking, but here is my take.
1) PRS still sell well. You'll take a loss if you flip a new one. You can always search eBay for prices of the model you are interested in.
2) PRS necks are their own thing. I really like them. Go to a store with good inventory (Chuck Levin/Washington Music is big and in your area). Try a few and see which neck suits you, even if it isn't on a CU24.
3) personal choice really. PRS has some great colours.
4) I almost always buy new. If you think you might flip it in a few months, or used. In my experience, PRS warranty isn't needed very often. They are excellent quality.

Back