Looking for an original black speed knob for '87 PRS... Help!

PRSGuy65

6-String Addict
Hey everyone, the black 5-way knob on my '87 Sig cracked and while I have a replacement that fits, it's not exactly the same as a PRS knob of that era. Anyone have one they'd be willing to sell? Let me know and thanks in advance! :D

I broke a knob on an early guitar and likewise had to source an original knob. I paid a fortune for it (well a lot for a bit of plastic) and I was never truly convinced I'd not been conned - how do you really know it's a vintage PRS knob? I think if I were in the same position again (and I have a '88 Sig where one knob is starting to go) I'd look at finding the best matching newly-made knob and maybe replace both knobs (assuming you have a sweet-switch guitar). If you can find somone with an old PRS and can 'prove' it's genuine great, but based on my experience I'd be wary. I think some of the reissue Gibson LP knobs will work - the barrel ones from the mid-50s Custom reissues? If so, there's a huge choice and pre-aged is an option. Plus they'll be cheap. Sorry I can't help more.

That's what I've got on now... It's my '87 Sig and the knob I've got is vintage and matches ALMOST exactly, but not quite and I only had one. That's why I reached out to the group here over just dealing with the unknown. I may end going the route you mentioned for the time-being... Thanks!

Good luck in your search - my Sig's quite bashed up, so it's not so critical keeping it original, but the guitar where I broke the knob was a nice original 1985 guitar, hence me trying to keep it original as far as possible. Stranglely, the knob I paid a fortune for likewise matched ALMOST exactly, but not quite...

How many speed knob shape variations did PRS go thru before the lampshade knob replaced it?

How many speed knob shape variations did PRS go thru before the lampshade knob replaced it?
To the best of my knowledge there were the original hash-marked ones, then with just numbers and no hash-marks in 1991 sometime, then the lampshades in the early-mid 2000's.

To the best of my knowledge there were the original hash-marked ones, then with just numbers and no hash-marks in 1991 sometime, then the lampshades in the early-mid 2000's.
Ah ok. I have some black speed knobs from an older CE that I don't use. But those are the ones with just numbers.

Thanks Johnny, but I'm really searching for the one's with the hash-marks between the numbers to maintain originality. Appreciate the offer though!

Back