Looking for a great SC and my first PRS.

Isaac cruz

I wanted to get my first PRS guitar (Ive only tried a friend's SE Single Cut and loved it). The model that I'm most interested in is the SC58 released back in 2012 I believe. I heard lots of praise for that guitar but noticed it was discontinued. What would be the equivalent model nowadays?

There are several equivalents. The 594 is a super vintage version. The old SC245 is a great version as well. The older SC is a 25" scale version. The SC250 is an SC with super hot pickups. The P245 is a version with a piezo pickup in the bridge for acoustic tones. I like it because it has a single volume and tone. There are a couple versions of the McCarty SC IIRC.

I wouldn't worry so much about discontinued. There are lots of used ones in great shape.

Thanks for all the recommendations guys. For those mentioning the 594's, are you referring to the Paul Reed Smith McCarty SC 594? I'm new to the PRS nomenclature.

To be clear, what are the differences between the SC245 and the PRS McCarty SC 594? I'm looking for the one that is the most vintage-y.

The McCarty SC594 and SC58 are probably the most "vintage-y"... at least, they are probably the most classically appointed/inspired with their two-piece bridges and PAF-style humbuckers... both are beautiful guitars, with the 594 having a scale length that's almost a tenth of an inch longer than the 58, but imho the most pronounced difference between them is probably defined by the pickups more than anything else... I've played both and own an SC245 and honestly I think you're pretty much splitting hairs at this point; they're all extremely high quality, wonderful sounding instruments... they probably vary in the same way a Les Paul from March '57 varies from a Les Paul built in January '60... play what you can and chose the one that feels/sounds the best at the moment...

I agree with Jimi D. I really like the 245. I swapped mine for a P245 because I’m not a purist and prefer the single volume. I also have a 594 on order. You’ll pay less for a 245.

It all depends on what kind of music you play, your definition of “vintage,” and sometimes even your amp. I’ve had a lot of SC models (nearly all, starting with the first one in 2000). The tone differences on most are subtle.

However, with the right rig, the 594 has the most vintage style tone, followed by the McCarty Singlecut Private Stock, and then by the SC58/SC245/Stripped 58 (these last three are close to the same spec).

Dialed in right, I’ve gotten very vintage tones with all of them. It’s just easier with the 594 models. The 594 SC seems a tiny bit fatter than the double cut 594s that I have. My McCarty Singlecut is a monster as well.

Back