Locking Tuners

Grover mini rotomatics at about $60 are direct replacement and have smaller buttons. I got my first set of the PRS at $100 and they're my new favorite

Indeed it does ! Got the same Cherry Red. I haven't changed the strings yet either but did purchse 3 sets of PRS 09's..same standard set this model comes with once I found out that D'Addario actually make strings for PRS so it's the same string ...it's just a matter of saving a buck or so. I put a set of the PRS 09's on my Strat. I know most players like or use 10's but I think I prefer 09's..easier on older hands. I use a variety of gauges on different guitars. On my baritone tele Icurrently am using 15-60...and on my standard tele I am using flat wound 11's. I adore flats ! On a side note....when not in use I've been seeing this new PRS SE CE in it's case as I ran out of stands and I have notice every time I take it out to play, it needs a quick little tune up...not much but a slight adjustment especially on the G and often the B. Have you noticed this ?
Not really...

During the winter, all my guitars tend to go just a hair sharp sitting in the stands.
Once I play for 10-15 minutes, they're basically back in-tune. I chalk it up to cold metal contracting. Once it's warmed up, they're good to go.
FWIW, I'm using DR Pure Nickel in the gauges they come equipped in.
I did have the slightest bit of fret sprout when I first got the the SE CE Standard Satin; it has since disappeared with less relief(it had a bit more than I like). I figure it soaked up enough moisture and everything corrected itself.

Last edited:
I'm in the open back hipshot camp. I have them on several of my SE's. I do believe they weigh less than the stock tuners, and you can get new plastic buttons from Hipshot if you want even less weight. I have PRS SE lockers on my hollow body and had to find plastic buttons. Luckily, our man Eddie Kim came to the rescue.

Grover mini rotomatics at about $60 are direct replacement and have smaller buttons. I got my first set of the PRS at $100 and they're my new favorite
Those are what I used before PRS release their SE locking set. I even had a set on an SE Angelus acoustic I had after selling an SE245 and the buyer wanted the stock set back on it.

I don't know what I'm going to do with 4 sets of 3+3 SE tuners...
The only thing I'd consider putting them on is locking trem budget builds and I've been way over Floyd's for a long time.
🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I've been saving my sheckles and catching sales, and today sent 7 guitars (5 SE, 1 S2, and my Mira X) home with 1 of my local guitar guys, locking tuners in every gig bag. He should get them back to me in a week or so. They all work fine, but this is merely for ease of use changing strings.

Last edited:
The only thing I'd consider putting them on is locking trem budget builds and I've been way over Floyd's for a long time.
🤷‍♂️
Yeah...they're useless in the used market. Maybe 15 bucks if you're lucky. Zillions all over the internet. At that price it's almost cheaper to just throw them away...except they don't take up much space in a drawer...along with 10 other misc sets.

🤷‍♂️
This! I've been taking two set of three from the same side and using them on guitar kits. They are usually Tele builds so all need to have the same orientation and are better than the super cheap tuners that come with the kit.

I still don't throw those away though for some reason.

Fwiw I love the graphtech ratio tuners. I’ve installed around a dozen sets in my guitars. Both the locking and non-locking retro version. The retro version drops right in place of PRS’s vintage style tuners. With no adapter plate. It is a little work to put the locking style of ratios in where you have the PRS style vintage tuners. And yes you need adapter plates, or to drill two locating holes, when putting locking ratios where standard PRS tuners where used.

But the ratios really are nice. Any time I pick up a guitar that doesn’t have them, I realize how much I like them. That said I have changed out the phase 3 locking tuners in the cores that have them. Those are really nice too. If PRS could work a deal to use the varying ratios with those tuners, that would be ideal. But until then I’ll keep swapping out stock tuners for ratios.

Send to John Mann to convert them to locking to use on more PRS!
I know Johnn is on here some, but do you know if he purchases non-lockers outright? I'm about to have 7 as-new sets of basically new non-lockers.

I just got a set of Mann vintage lockers for McSoapy. That will make all of them. I’m not ashamed of my laziness. 😄
I am with you. I have locking tuners on just about everything I own. I like the faster string changes. It also can't hurt to have less string wound around the post IMHO.

Duh!?! The important part.. More PRS! Or.. could always use the old tuners for arts and craft hour.
More Hanchang...and I hate post lockers. I'd rather just have plain tuners if that's the case.

Last edited:
General comment on turners…Is it just me or has the general quality of tuners gone downhill? Seems like cost has driven manufacture to China and Pacific Rim. Tuners are not a place to save a few bucks. Give me quality machined tuners please. I’ll pay a few extra bucks. The Schaller’s on my 1996 CU 22 are the best tuners in my lot. Vintage and plastic buttons are not innovations…where’s the progress in this market…

Back