Locking Tuners

worthmoremusic

Of course PRS would like one to use their locking tuners but there are other brands that would probably easily fit that are less expensive...has anyone ever installed other brands on their SE 24's ? I recently purchased the new SE CE 24 Satin which is virtually the same guitar as the SE 24 sans the glossy finish and maple veneer top...but it's also $200 less !.

Thanks all. 🙂

Last edited:
Of course PRS would like one to use their locking tuners but there are other brands that would probably easily fit that are less expensive...has anyone ever installed other brands on their SE 24's ? I recently purchased the new SE CE 24 Satin.

Thanks all. 🙂
Not sure if this is helpful, but I put Grovers on one of my Ibanez guitars and I don't like them.

Get the PRS or call John Mann. He sells se tuners retrofitted to locking as well for a little less. Watch reverb they pop up less on there too.

There's other tuners that work or can fit but go with the plug and play way.

I use Gotoh SG381-MG-T(1:16) for contemporary replacements on my SEs; Kluson KRGLNC-3-NP(1:19) on the vintage style SEs. All direct drop-in; I do re-use the OE mounting screws though.

Get the PRS or call John Mann. He sells se tuners retrofitted to locking as well for a little less. Watch reverb they pop up less on there too.

There's other tuners that work or can fit but go with the plug and play way.
Thanks...I'm thinking now how so many complain that locking tuners add weight and my 7.2lb is heavy enough for me so based on the looks of the PRS SE locking tuners, they probably are lighter than say Gotoh, or Hipshot, etc....

Thanks...I'm thinking now how so many complain that locking tuners add weight and my 7.2lb is heavy enough for me so based on the looks of the PRS SE locking tuners, they probably are lighter than say Gotoh, or Hipshot, etc....
FWIW, the Gotoh tuners I mentioned, weigh 0.4 ounces more than the PRS SE locking tuners.

Look familiar?;)
Just waiting on the first string change to install.
20240414-102017.jpg

Don't worry about it. Fan of hipshot, but the mounting plates look like total crap on the back of a PRS headstock. Would have to screw new mounting holes and fill old. Been there done that. Easy enough, but people want drop in. Gotoh are great tuners. I wouldn't use grovers for anything. And all those whatever brands on Amazon make little sense to me when the se lockers pop up cheap and were talking about a price difference of a burger and beer if that.

The John Mann retrofited are the se tuners converted to locking if worried about weight. Same as you have.

Don't worry about it. Fan of hipshot, but the mounting plates look like total crap on the back of a PRS headstock. Would have to screw new mounting holes and fill old. Been there done that. Easy enough, but people want drop in. Gotoh are great tuners. I wouldn't use grovers for anything. And all those whatever brands on Amazon make little sense to me when the se lockers pop up cheap and were talking about a price difference of a burger and beer if that.

The John Mann retrofited are the se tuners converted to locking if worried about weight. Same as you have.
Hipshots have mounting plates? I thought Graphtech was the only one with those?

I installed Schaller M6 135's on my SE 24. They fit right in with no problem. I don't know if they are the best, just simply thought I'd try them.

But I still have tuning issues with this guitar, especially in the winter. I play at church and when we first get there on a Sunday morning it's generally a bit cooler in there. For the first 2 services (8 and 9:30) the tuning is constantly going sharp. I even have the trem blocked off in both directions.

I feel bad sometimes because i'm the only guitar player there who is constantly retuning his guitar in between songs.

Is it the tuners? is it the guitar? Both?

I installed Schaller M6 135's on my SE 24. They fit right in with no problem. I don't know if they are the best, just simply thought I'd try them.

But I still have tuning issues with this guitar, especially in the winter. I play at church and when we first get there on a Sunday morning it's generally a bit cooler in there. For the first 2 services (8 and 9:30) the tuning is constantly going sharp. I even have the trem blocked off in both directions.

I feel bad sometimes because i'm the only guitar player there who is constantly retuning his guitar in between songs.

Check your nut. Tuning issues are typically the nut.

Schaller are excellent tuners. Tuners aren't usually going to help your tuning issue unless you have a bad tuner. Or lockers if you aren't wrapping right with non lockers

Last edited:

How cold are you letting the guitar get? If it settles down after the wood stabilizes with the room temp, that’s a pretty good clue.

Is that .4oz per tuner or all six? If it’s for all six, that’s exactly the same weight as the SE lockers
All six Gotoh SG381-MGT-EN01 weigh 0.4oz more than the all six PRS SE locking tuners.

ETA-that is with the EN01 large style aluminum knobs

Last edited:
Look familiar?;)
Just waiting on the first string change to install.
20240414-102017.jpg
Indeed it does ! Got the same Cherry Red. I haven't changed the strings yet either but did purchse 3 sets of PRS 09's..same standard set this model comes with once I found out that D'Addario actually make strings for PRS so it's the same string ...it's just a matter of saving a buck or so. I put a set of the PRS 09's on my Strat. I know most players like or use 10's but I think I prefer 09's..easier on older hands. I use a variety of gauges on different guitars. On my baritone tele Icurrently am using 15-60...and on my standard tele I am using flat wound 11's. I adore flats ! On a side note....when not in use I've been seeing this new PRS SE CE in it's case as I ran out of stands and I have notice every time I take it out to play, it needs a quick little tune up...not much but a slight adjustment especially on the G and often the B. Have you noticed this ?

How cold are you letting the guitar get? If it settles down after the wood stabilizes with the room temp, that’s a pretty good clue.
Humidity truly plays havoc on wood....therefore I believe also affects tuning stability. My apt. seems to range from 27-35% ...without a humidifier for which I have no room for so I now need to buy cases for guitars I never got cases for just so I can toss in those D'Addario humidifier packs.

Back