Locking Tuners on my SE make me happy!!!

Offhand, I'd say you're paying for the brand name, the quality and prestige that goes with PRS. Many of us know that only PRS SE locking tuners are direct replacements for SE non-locking tuners, whereas other brand names you risk needing drill, deface and/or fill set screws not designed for non-PRS tuners.

Well, not really... Gotoh (who makes the PRS I think ) and I think Schaller for the Fender tuners (I don't think any guitar company makes tuners) were like the "PRS" brand , "drag & drop" . I don't have the skills to be drillin' in the peghead ... not gonna do that. Yet, all these sets cost less than the PRS SE that I have installed ...

The most I have had to do was in the case of replacing vintage Fender "Kluson" style tuners (with the slotted tops)... was to replace the bushings which were supplied in the set. Came with the tool to press the original bushing out, and installed the replacement bushings with a big set of pliers.. No drilling.

For the price the PRS should come with a quart of Cherry Kool Aid, made w/Red Dye #40, and pure cane sugar !!! :)

Easy fix...with friends like @Alnus Rubra ;). Takes all of about 5 minutes to swap them for some like these.
Fix8wBZ.jpg

You’re welcome brother. Looking oh so sweet!

Well, not really... Gotoh (who makes the PRS I think ) and I think Schaller for the Fender tuners (I don't think any guitar company makes tuners) were like the "PRS" brand , "drag & drop" . I don't have the skills to be drillin' in the peghead ... not gonna do that. Yet, all these sets cost less than the PRS SE that I have installed ...

The most I have had to do was in the case of replacing vintage Fender "Kluson" style tuners (with the slotted tops)... was to replace the bushings which were supplied in the set. Came with the tool to press the original bushing out, and installed the replacement bushings with a big set of pliers.. No drilling.

For the price the PRS should come with a quart of Cherry Kool Aid, made w/Red Dye #40, and pure cane sugar !!! :)

It's OK, I still don't know how PRS justifies their SE locking tuner price compared to Gotoh or Schaller.

Unless it's some "secret sauce" regards the "tuner weight and tone" or not requiring any drill & fill, IMHO if one owns a PRS and they wish to resell a PRS for top dollar, it should have all-PRS OEM parts, not aftermarket parts.

Anything else which includes aftermarket parts may detract from the price you are looking for obtain. Just my 2¢.

Then there's the majority of forumites who are saying just now, "Sell?"

Easy fix...with friends like @Alnus Rubra ;). Takes all of about 5 minutes to swap them for some like these.
Fix8wBZ.jpg
@Alnus Rubra, I'm sorry to be resurrecting an older thread, but can you tell me where you found these exact tuners? With the black locking screws and buttons, these are exactly what I'm looking to install on my new SE Holllowbody II Dog Hair. Thank you in advance for your help!

All 6 of my SE's (2 are pictured) now have locking tuners installed and I couldn't be more pleased!!!

XbfWjrv.jpg
Cool!

I used PRS in my Starla, easy and quick replacement but in my Zack Myer, I went for Ratio PRN-4424 Vintage, they required a bit of drilling.

What did you use in the ZM?

I have an SE DGT on order and it will get a set of locking tuners when it arrives. With the absence of a locking nut they are essential if the guitar has a trem.

Someone mentioned ebony tuner buttons, are they (or faux bone) available for these tuners? I prefer the lighter weight at the headstock.

Awesome!
I first put locking tuners on my No1 which was utilized live 4+ times a week. Faster string changes for the occasional string break was why I first tried them. Now Hipshots go on everything. Faster changes, faster break in, and overall better tuning. Win win win!

I have an SE DGT on order and it will get a set of locking tuners when it arrives. With the absence of a locking nut they are essential if the guitar has a trem.

Someone mentioned ebony tuner buttons, are they (or faux bone) available for these tuners? I prefer the lighter weight at the headstock.

I’ll PM you a link

Back