Locking tuners for PRS Custom SE

vicus

Hi,

I have a PRS Custom SE (the first edition, 5-6 years old). I'm thinking to replace the factory tuners with some locking tuners. Does anybody know a good and decent priced set which would fit?

Thanks,
Vicus

The Mini 406?
I was thinking to get these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0040WWUYS...TF8&colid=2S6DF1JR0COX0&coliid=I29JRXN26VUFEJ
Read on a forum that it should be a perfect fit

+1

Those are what I used, and I loved em. Big, heavy, solid German made tuners...

There you go. They should be fine.

CJM3175, what's the biggest gauge you think you could get through there? I think with the Grover it's like a .060 with out having to drill the whole out a little bit more.

Last edited:
I have those Schallers on another guitar. They'll fit but they're ungodly heavy.

I've become accustomed to the look of the Grover keys on my SE. They work great. Minimalist locking design, which I love.

There you go. They should be fine.

CJM3175, what's the biggest gauge you think you could get through there? I think with the Grover it's like a .060 with out having to drill the whole out a little bit more.

I'm not sure Jim... All I know is that no drilling was necessary on my 2012 Paul Allender SE with the Schallers. They were a direct drop-in perfect fit!

Last edited:
I agree with Garrett's comment, but I personally enjoy a little extra top end weight as I find that it helps me with bending and vibrato (let gravity do the work ;-)

I have the Grover 406C's on my PRS SE Singlecut tremolo guitar and they are great tuners, don't look odd, and I'm very happy with them.

They have smaller knobs because of the distinct shape of the PRS headstock, getting much wider at the bottom of the head. Larger tuner buttons will come very close to the bottom of the head on the "E" strings, or maybe even touch. That's why people like to use the Grover Mini Rotomatic Locking Tuners on SE guitars.

I'm sure that you can find others that work, but these work very well as a direct replacement and require zero modification.

I actually have the 406C's on my SE Angelus right now. I had them on an SE 245 but removed them when I was going to sell it. I ended up giving to a nephew but shipped it to him with stock tuners without thinking about it. They were laying around and I noticed they dropped in just as easily on the Angelus as electric SE's so figured why not! Cracks me up having locking tuners on an acoustic, but it actually makes string changes so much easier I'll keep them on it.

The smaller buttons are a bit weird looking when comparing to standard, but they're not that difficult to get used to.

I have the Grovers 406Gs in an SE Cu24-7, and I had to have my tech drill the hole out a bit to fit a 0.064" as the 7th string. 0.060" and below were fine as is.

Has anyone tried to replace the Grover buttons with the SE stock buttons?

Just tried it and as Garrett said, although they physically screw in with stock screw (Grover's is too short for full size button), the inner peg that the button screws onto is too thin for the stock button. It just spins and spins with no affect on the tuner.

How do the Schaller Locking Tuning Machine's seem to work on the PRS SE guitars?

I'm thinking of trying out a set on my Santana SE.

Has anyone put a set of these on their SE? How do they fit, are you satisfied, etc.? How is the tuning precision?

thanks for the feedback.

Back