LOCKING SADDLES

ViperDoc

Plugged In.
I’ve got a set of locking saddles on a PS and I have to say, it makes a huge improvement to tuning stability. How do I find a set, or what saddles can I throw into a PRS trem?

Last edited:
Great question! Would the lockers still work on a normal prs trem? If the width is the same and the height is close they could. Might have to get shorter Allen screws to compensate for the grooves on the lockers plate.

The PS locking saddles bolt through the saddle itself. Not sure why they wouldn't fit right in, but I could be wrong. Has no one figured this out yet? Someone's got to have a lead. Thanks for helping out if possible.

The PS locking saddles bolt through the saddle itself. Not sure why they wouldn't fit right in, but I could be wrong. Has no one figured this out yet? Someone's got to have a lead. Thanks for helping out if possible.
Looking at the pictures I would have thought they'd be a direct swap for the existing saddles - after all, I'm sure there's no point in going to the effort of making a whole new trem just to accommodate different saddles.

I've also put locking saddles on my Strat, the phantom ones that are unfortunately a little cheap and nasty. But I totally agree, dramatically increases tuning stability.

Gotoh are currently developing locking saddles that might very well fit a PRS trem. They're not quite out yet though. Search for Pete Thorn locking saddles.

Looking at the pictures I would have thought they'd be a direct swap for the existing saddles - after all, I'm sure there's no point in going to the effort of making a whole new trem just to accommodate different saddles.

I've also put locking saddles on my Strat, the phantom ones that are unfortunately a little cheap and nasty. But I totally agree, dramatically increases tuning stability.

Gotoh are currently developing locking saddles that might very well fit a PRS trem. They're not quite out yet though. Search for Pete Thorn locking saddles.
Thanks for this, Tone-y. I actually recall seeing this on a previous Pete Thorn Youtube binge, but had forgotten about it. Here's hoping! Those saddles look excellent.

I'm waiting for them as well. Though I don't expect they'll have a vintage strat spacing option which means I'd have to live with gaps between the saddles. After trying the phantom saddles in the strat I'm a total convert and am quite frankly amazed that there are so few options out there. I had planned to convert some standard saddles to locking by drilling some holes and adding grub screws etc, but it's not easy to do without proper equipment.

I'm guessing new lockers will fit on current terms. Since the new trem has grooves for the saddle screws might need shorter screws so they're not sticking up so high.
Anybody have both that could measure?

ORDERED!!! Thanks for the heads up.
Great. I'm sure they'll fit. I'm thinking that I'd probably end up removing the Wilkinson ident so there plain. But after having the cheap and nasty phantom locking saddles for 10 months or so I can definitely say that make a huge difference to tuning stability on my Eric Johnson Strat.

Great. I'm sure they'll fit. I'm thinking that I'd probably end up removing the Wilkinson ident so there plain. But after having the cheap and nasty phantom locking saddles for 10 months or so I can definitely say that make a huge difference to tuning stability on my Eric Johnson Strat.
That's awesome. I feel an upgrade (or two) coming on...

Well my WLS130 saddles are here and fitted. I had a slight delay because they were shipped out with the height adjustment screws missing, and they used a different thread to all the saddles that I currently have (probably metric thread over an American thread). So I had to wait for more screws to be sent out.

Here they are fitted to the EJ Strat
J32ZwrJ.jpg

And here is the old ‘phantom’ locking saddles. They worked but they were fiddly and felt cheap.
ScOCUGv.jpg

Close up of the WLS130 saddles.
PpWTRYR.jpg

I haven’t had chance to try them out yet as last night was just fitting and setting up. I also don’t 100% know that they’ll fit in a PRS bridge. The only issue I can think of will be the width of the saddles. My Strat has vintage spacing so you can see the gaps between the saddles, that should mean that they’d fit in a PRS bridge, but I suspect the metric/imperial differences could make it trickier than it looks. I guess if they’re a tight fit a bit of light filling on the sides of the saddles would work.

You’re also restricted to chrome and black as this is the only colours offered at the moment.

Back