local GC have old stock on sales again!!!

I got the call from GC, he read off what was available and nothing appealed to me. Do I have my GAS under control? Maybe, maybe not...lol

So, does anyone get the idea that Guitar Center is trying to discontinue/or greatly reduce ALL USA made core line PRS guitars, or do you think they are just tying to move out New Old Stock?

I know that Bain Capital recently sold their controling interest in the Guitar Center company. Perhaps they are just clearing out ALL of the stores of EVERYTHING in order to raise cash to pay off millions of dollars in debt. If so, they might be planning to gut GC and scrap whatever is left over.

It feels like what happened with Mesa boogie is happening here.

Yes it does. And just like Mesa, PRS is driving this just as much if not more than GC. Mesa saw a sinking ship that was no longer worth their time. They saw the value in their mom and pop dealers. PRS is doing the same.

So, does anyone get the idea that Guitar Center is trying to discontinue/or greatly reduce ALL USA made core line PRS guitars, or do you think they are just tying to move out New Old Stock?

I know that Bain Capital recently sold their controling interest in the Guitar Center company. Perhaps they are just clearing out ALL of the stores of EVERYTHING in order to raise cash to pay off millions of dollars in debt. If so, they might be planning to gut GC and scrap whatever is left over.

I was in Houston this past weekend and went to the GC to see if I would hear PRS bashing. Nothing of the sort. They said unequivocally GC was pulling PRS from most stores and keeping them in certain select large stores only with "in store" inventory only. No more warehousing as much inventory as before. He said they would be some in in inventory, but nothing like before. He actually went on to pay PRS a back handed compliment. He said they do not move PRS inventory like they do the others and they cost more to buy and we cannot discount them like the others when we have to clear them out. The compliment being they are not as disposable as the other brands or as overpriced.

In some ways this is good for PRS. In other ways not, but I do not think PRS has ever wanted to be the biggest, just the best! We know he has done that. Unfortunately though, not as many folks will have the initial opportunity to be offered to see and try them if they are GC oriented only buyers. Again though, someone looking for the best will eventually find the best and that is PRS!!

Very few people think "Guitar Center!" when they decide to buy a PRS, or even a high-end guitar for that matter.

There are some good GC salespeople out there who can help with someone who comes in and is a "blank canvas" so to speak, but there are just as many out there who don't know their tremolo from their vibrato.

Anyway, the biggest losers here are the smaller independent dealers, right now. The number of lost sales to them because of this inventory clear out is going to be measurable. Yes, that guy who got the Artist Pack CU24 in a GC blowout may have only been able to get the non-10 standard version of same from their local dealer, but that potential sale may be gone nonetheless.

GC is doing what it feels it has to do and hopefully the small guys can stick it out long enough so that they are no longer in competition with them... but a couple bad quarters is all it takes to cause serious trouble.

I just pulled the trigger on a stripper off the GC list today at a ridiculous price. I would be very hard pressed to find a used SC for what I paid. There are some amazing deals to be had.

Lol... Yup.

I'm still waiting for my credit card to cool off before I put it back in my pocket...

I saw those prices....and I saw a crazy deal on a Private Stock....it was too good not to pass up. JUST TOO GOOD:evil:

Anyway, the biggest losers here are the smaller independent dealers, right now. The number of lost sales to them because of this inventory clear out is going to be measurable. Yes, that guy who got the Artist Pack CU24 in a GC blowout may have only been able to get the non-10 standard version of same from their local dealer, but that potential sale may be gone nonetheless.

GC is doing what it feels it has to do and hopefully the small guys can stick it out long enough so that they are no longer in competition with them... but a couple bad quarters is all it takes to cause serious trouble.

This right here. Admittedly it's hard to walk away from 40%-50% off a high end guitar you dream about particularly if you are cash strapped. But yeah I feel for the smaller shops and online stores who are probably not moving too much PRS at their standard street prices right now. Personally I'm on the sidelines as nothing at my local GC's appealed to me in that list except a MEQ which I cannot justify to my wife at all despite the lovely neck and top. On the plus side lots of NGD posts coming soon to the forum I hope!

EDIT: Oh no, now I see something cheaper on that list I hope is still available when I call tomorrow. Wow I'm a hypocrite, but hard to pass up these deals.

Last edited:
This right here. Admittedly it's hard to walk away from 40%-50% off a high end guitar you dream about particularly if you are cash strapped. But yeah I feel for the smaller shops and online stores who are probably not moving too much PRS at their standard street prices right now. Personally I'm on the sidelines as nothing at my local GC's appealed to me in that list except a MEQ which I cannot justify to my wife at all despite the lovely neck and top. On the plus side lots of NGD posts coming soon to the forum I hope!

Yes, and it's not a bad thing to get more guitars out there... another problem though in this case is that it sounds like GC isn't going to be replacing them in stock!

EDIT: Oh no, now I see something cheaper on that list I hope is still available when I call tomorrow. Wow I'm a hypocrite, but hard to pass up these deals.

I'm only human too and I've bought more than one PRSi at a crazy blowout discount. But generally from small indie dealers who needed to make room for more. ;)

I wish I could partake in the clearance sales. I have a lot of guitars (seven is what I call al lot) and all but one of them has been in my collection for less than one year and I don't know how I could possibly fund so much as one more guitar right now. All of the PRS guitars I've ever owned, except for my Swamp Ash Studio, have come from Guitar Center. I've tried to buy PRS guitars from my local "Pa & Pa" store many times but the prices there are consistently ABOVE MSRP so I then wind up following the better prices elsewhere. Maybe GC will have some leftovers by the time I am ready to buy another guitar. Doubtful. hahahaha

Yes, Thanks Shawn or clearing that up. I have been to a handful of GC's in the past several months and have not seen any of the CORE line on the walls. At these same stores, I see the same three SE's though, A SE 245, SE C24 and SE Santana. I do mostly get some PRS bashing though with regularity. The other two big companies give GC hell to get things their way. I only hope PRS will at some point tell GC to knock it off. I personally like that PRS has drawn somewhat away from GC just as Mesa did. PRS and Mesa are two small companies famous for being big and for various good reasons may not need to be at GC at all or in limited supply. SO, good move by PRS!

Guitar center guy told me that guitar center is losing a large net chunk of cash...i don't know how true this is?

Back