lets talk multieffects

I have never been in awe of the multi-effects combo units because for so long they were noisy and full of digital artifacts. I understand today they are much, much better, and perhaps if I was starting over I would not collect dozens of individual effects and instead go for something like a Line 6 Pod. Lots of pro musicians use them, studio and live.

But I like my individual pedals and that is what I can talk about most coherently (note the relative term there...), so I would suggest you pick up a few things like a phaser, compressor/sustainer/limiter, from one of the following sources: Boss/MXR, inexpensive not-really--boutique, or cheap but solid clone.

For example (I use Chorus as an example because you didn't mention that one, that way you can't blame me... ;) ):
Boss CE-5 / CH-1, MXR M234, TC Electronics Corona, or Joyo JF-37 for chorus

Or you could take it up a notch and go mid-boutique, like an Earthquake Devices Sea Machine Chorus, but IMHO if you aren't sure what sounds you want, I don't see the point in investing in the somewhat-specialized boutique-ish models.

The Boss and MXR stuff will probably last forever, at least in my experience and based on what I have observed and read elsewhere. The Joyo and similar clone stuff is quite inexpensive yet very robust housings, and pretty good effects too, IMHO almost as good as the well-known brands or even just as good for common circuit designs (i.e. they out-perform their price category).

The Behringer stuff is similar price/quality to the Joyo, but the casings are not as robust, so if you tend to truly "stomp" I would avoid them. I have a couple, but I am gentler than many on my pedals, and they are not stomped on often anyway (one is an "always on" pedal).

If you pick up a few things like that, even if you change your mind you can flip them and not lose your shirt.

However, the TC Electronics Nova stuff looks quite intriguing. So maybe start with one of those.

I dunno. Sorry.

Although I hesitate to suggest this, because you will be lost forever with Pedal GAS, you also might want to check out The Gear Page - Effects forum:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=4

Last edited:
Back