Lefty McCarty 594 Hollowbody?

twinpiks

Hello guys,

I've been drooling over these lovely hollow 594s for a while
and now that I have a nice budget to pull the trigger on a new, beautiful guitar I am wondering if anyone has seen any of those from PRS recently?
It's not clear if such a lefty 594 HB could be ordered via an official dealer without becoming a full blown private stock order? (last time I tried to ask I did not get an answer back)
Our friends at PRS don't seem to have much focus on us lefties lately (afaik only the SE 24 can be readily found in stock at dealers..)

Have a great day all,

I'm left dominant myself, but in a right hand dominated world, I've adapted somewhat. I had to teach myself to cut meat with my right hand, it was natural to hold a knife in my left hand; but I ran my own shop for 30 years right handed. I learned to play guitar right handed, and it was a challenge, but I golf right and shoot right with a hockey stick and that really didn't help either. I throw left, shoot a bow and arrow left, rifle left, and definitely much stronger on my left side physically. As a young child, I naturally picked up things with my left hand, but my parents were diligent and "trained" me to use my right hand to write with. Maybe that's why I'm so screwed up, huh?;)
It does seem that much of the production world does leave the left favored population out in the cold. But I see a strong segment of left handed people emerging in many walks of life. So it would make sense to think that there is a real market for guitars made left hand orientation, right? Now I know that the good peeps at PRS will say (and likely for volume reasoning) that left hand customs and builds are going to be a very small sector of the process, and I can't say I blame them for the rarity. But I do sympathize being predominantly of the southpaw persuasion.

I've never seen Paul show lefties any sympathy. I've heard him say a couple times, "They don't make left handed pianos."

Paul and Jack talk about lefties here. Paul says that back when they did tool up for them, lefties were only 0.5-1% of sales.

Righteous Guitars did a Wood Library run of lefty Customs back in 2017. They still have three available.

I'm left dominant myself, but in a right hand dominated world, I've adapted somewhat. I had to teach myself to cut meat with my right hand, it was natural to hold a knife in my left hand; but I ran my own shop for 30 years right handed. I learned to play guitar right handed, and it was a challenge, but I golf right and shoot right with a hockey stick and that really didn't help either. I throw left, shoot a bow and arrow left, rifle left, and definitely much stronger on my left side physically. As a young child, I naturally picked up things with my left hand, but my parents were diligent and "trained" me to use my right hand to write with. Maybe that's why I'm so screwed up, huh?;)
It does seem that much of the production world does leave the left favored population out in the cold. But I see a strong segment of left handed people emerging in many walks of life. So it would make sense to think that there is a real market for guitars made left hand orientation, right? Now I know that the good peeps at PRS will say (and likely for volume reasoning) that left hand customs and builds are going to be a very small sector of the process, and I can't say I blame them for the rarity. But I do sympathize being predominantly of the southpaw persuasion.

Just curious, why would you have to cut meat with your right hand? I would not have thought that knives were "hand dependent."

Just curious, why would you have to cut meat with your right hand? I would not have thought that knives were "hand dependent."
Yes, I agree that it doesn't make sense at the outset, but as with may things industrial, cutting rooms (back then) were geared toward being right handed. When I was training, it was made very clear to me that the boning knife, the large steak knife, and the hand saw were all to be used with the right hand. High speed band saw, slicers, tenderizers, grinders, stuffers and other tools were all set up to be right oriented. There were no cases of alternative leanings allowed. That may not apply these days, it was back in the early 70's...attitudes have, em, progressed I suppose.

Back