Knocking Down the Finish...

I See Two Options Happening Here. Do What @Greywolf Said To Do As An Experienced Luthier With Decades Of Experience Or Do Something He Didn't Suggest And Then Send it To Him To Fix The Problem Created From Not Listening To Him. ;)
I doubt after your beltsander suggestion there is anything left to salvage, even with the experience of mr Wolf

I approach it from an acceleration of years of playing , not abusive or intrusive. Have you ever looked at a violin neck ? They have very little finish on them , especially the well played.

Starting with low abrasives and mimicing the natural motion of your hand on the neck allows for a very sweet played in feel while maintaining a reasonable look. You "age " it as much as you need.. the rest .. time will take care of.

I've restored a few 70+ year old hierlooms for people , it's a gentle process but you can achieve a "new, broken in" look and feel with patience. French polish sheen is what I shoot for, it's the traditional finish.

As my 15 year old SC has seen it's fair share of prior owner abuse , I'm thinking of the 3000 wet satin route on the top instead of a respray just take it down to remove most of the dings and give it that patina .. looks so vintage.. like this one ..(courtesy of the wonderful folks at Danville ..maybe someday I'll get one there)
ifrmd5u4eqctrqp0sqgr.jpg

Last edited:
my 2 cents after half a lifetime as a software engineer....that's computer emphasis .. 21st century grammar . shout vs. Shout vs SHOUT

After a lifetime teaching typography, please don't.

If you want emphasis, we have a tool for that.

If you want to state something more forcefully, there's a tool for that, too.

Still not getting your message across? There are options.

No need to go FULL BLAST all the time.

my 2 cents after half a lifetime as a software engineer....that's computer emphasis .. 21st century grammar . shout vs. Shout vs SHOUT
Or geman descent (given his nick not unlikely). A noun is written with a capital in German.

Back