Knocking Down the Finish...

Monahan

Played my DGT at church today, and the glossy neck was giving me trouble (never a problem at home LOL!). Part nerves (been 11-years since the last time I played guitar in service) and it was a bit humid in the building...

Anyway, this guitar is a lifer and I fully intend to play the frets off of it-- several times likely ;) SO-- that gloss has got to go. My plan was to get one of the green Scotch-Brite pads to knock down the finish, but wonder if there's a better way of achieving my goal-- 600-grit sandpaper perhaps...?

These current Core finishes are a bit different than I'm accustomed to, so asking here before subjecting the guitar to my laboratory of woodworking :D

Before you sand the neck , try a bit of lotion , dry or sweaty hands are sticky.
Thanks for the tip!
If there is one weakness to the DGT in my estimation, it's the glossy neck. Owning a CE24 with the satin neck has ruined all other finishes for me LOL! All that to say, the finish days are numbered ;)
For tips on how to make the guitar neck more satiny, I would ask SinSir, he does it and the results look great!
Oooo-- I'll have to check that out. Thanks!

my 2cents after 40 years as a luthier . Start with 3000 wet ( home depot sells it) .It breaks the glaze that make it sticky but doesn't scratch it.
Finish up with a bit of luthier's polishing compound (stew-mac) . What you end up with is one that is semi-gloss in apperance and plays like silk .

Does this work on old school nitro lacquer as well? My smokeburst McC (2009) has some sort of old fashioned nitro - which smells great by the way - but is sticky like a maple syrup after some playing time. I have no issues playing regular glossy necks, but this kind of nitro is not really comfi.

Does this work on old school nitro lacquer as well? My smokeburst McC (2009) has some sort of old fashioned nitro - which smells great by the way - but is sticky like a maple syrup after some playing time. I have no issues playing regular glossy necks, but this kind of nitro is not really comfi.
Scotch-Brite works to knock down any finish-- keep in mind these type of scrub-pads come in different "grits" (levels of abrasion). A good rule of thumb is to begin with the less abrasive and go easy with it to see what the results are, moving to more aggressive if needed. Afterward going back over the knocked down finish with a very fine abrasion helps to make it look (and feel) a bit nicer. This has worked beautifully for me on the older Gibson-type finishes... the new PRS stuff is somewhat different. Keep in mind that there are many ways to skin a cat ;)

Scotch-Brite works to knock down any finish-- keep in mind these type of scrub-pads come in different "grits" (levels of abrasion). A good rule of thumb is to begin with the less abrasive and go easy with it to see what the results are, moving to more aggressive if needed. Afterward going back over the knocked down finish with a very fine abrasion helps to make it look (and feel) a bit nicer. This has worked beautifully for me on the older Gibson-type finishes... the new PRS stuff is somewhat different. Keep in mind that there are many ways to skin a cat ;)
Edit. Ok, too cheezy reaction from my end

Thanks for the advice!

Last edited:
3000 doesn't take much off , just allows for a more satin feel, you can always go more aggressive ..2000, 1500, 1000, 800, 600, 400 .
I've done them all. The same is true with the rubbing / polishing compounds.. start gentle to see how it works with THAT finish .. then adjust as needed. I use a palm wide piece and lay it on the neck to match my hand and using natural playing pressure go up and down the back of the neck , I guess you could say it's a form of relicing but I abhor scratches.

Back