Kestrel VS Kingfisher

Kestrel VS Kingfisher

• Total voters
As the resident funk-slut I'm perplexed at the opinions of the Kingfishers humbucker pickups being more suitable for "rounder funkier stuff"... While the P-Bass certainly has a place in the great hall of funk as well as Music Man's and BC Rich's, there is absolutely nothing "un-funky" about the J-Bass configuration. If anything basses with 'buckers are traditionally rock machines, as I suppose the Kingfisher is probably marketed as.

Maybe. However, the Kingfisher with both pups on has that mid-scooped sound that people seem to love for slap. That's probably why people are thinking it's the funkier model. I really want to hear more of the Kingfisher playing a rock style with just one pickup active.

I see a lot of bass players resting their thumb on the top of a pup, so how important is bridge position?

:dontknow:

I don't play that way myself, but then, I'm not primarily a bassist... I just know that bridge position makes a difference on the Custom 24, which is why that model feels better to me than the 22-fret models.

Based on what Shawn said, the pickups on the Kingfisher aren't the typical bass 'buckers, though. I like how it has that modern, bright-but-punchy tone. It's an active pickup sort of sound, but passive. Seems like it would suit the modern funky stuff, then just roll the tone back to get more into classic funk land.

While the Kingfisher's pickups are true humbucker, the pickups have one hum cancelling dummy coil. The remaining active coil in each pickup cannot be tapped. Paul worked very hard to develop these pups and it took a long time before he was truly happy. He changed the windings, magnets, moving the placement of the pickup on the body, etc. I think they sound amazing

Funny story. When the Mira was being introduced we had a contest for employees to name the guitar. The name I chose was "Kestrel". So although I didn't win that contest, I guess I do get naming credit for the Kestrel Bass. During that same contest Doug, the SE manager, chose "Kingfisher". But then again he names most of the SE guitars anyway, so it's no big deal for him.

As the resident funk-slut I'm perplexed at the opinions of the Kingfishers humbucker pickups being more suitable for "rounder funkier stuff"... While the P-Bass certainly has a place in the great hall of funk as well as Music Man's and BC Rich's, there is absolutely nothing "un-funky" about the J-Bass configuration. If anything basses with 'buckers are traditionally rock machines, as I suppose the Kingfisher is probably marketed as.

I based my opinion on the tones I heard on the demo tracks, not the type of pickups or the configuration of the neck.

I thought the Kingfisher had a funkier tone. Not necessarily a 'funk music' tone; a warmer, fatter tone. This is a funkier tone, in the traditional sense that bass players discuss bass tones, as taught to me by my own bass teacher who played on Motown sessions, and who gigged with many of the jazz greats.

Standup basses are often distinguished from one another in the same way, even if they don't have pickups attached.

Some people refer to a funkier tone as a "growlier" tone.

Last edited:
I'm not sayin' either one of these basses can't deliver some stank, I just don't want people to get the wrong idea here... That Kestrel could most definitely get some asses shakin'.

Kestrel wins the looks dept, but I'm really interested in the Kingfisher - natural or tortoiseshell. A little disappointed that the Humbuckers can't be split and combined in multiple configs... But hey, the sound is there.
Ill never use the extra frets but. :)

Back