JP2C vs. Archon

Just added the LE JP-2C to the Boogie farm this week. Awesome amp for sure. Played my '12 P-22 with a nice channel one clean setting, via the Mag/Pie and just wow! Clear and crisp clean tone with a superior crunch or gain channel to jump to. Will post up pics once the custom oxblood 2 X 12 cab arrives.

Pics will be good. If you get a chance, clips of the amp would be even better!

I think I'd buy one once all the appropriate PRS amps are in my studio.

I have had my JP-2C for a few weeks now. I had been running it through a Mesa Thiele with a V30, but I swapped the V30 out for an EV 12 Classic. The amp is exceeding all of my expectations. It is definitely more than a high gain fire breather. The touch sensitivity is fantastic. I definitely prefer it to my Mark V, Tremo, and the Friedman I sold to pay for this one. Boogie nailed this one.

I definitely prefer it to my Mark V, Tremo, and the Friedman I sold to pay for this one. Boogie nailed this one.

The Tremo is to me, one of the best amps Mesa ever made. So if this is even in the same ballpark, let alone better, it's gotta be a pretty cool amp!

I dug my Mark V, but when I discovered PRS amps, I let it go, as I never used the third channel, etc, and got back into single channel amp-land. Good info!

Elvis, I sure wish you could play one so I could see what you think of it.

I have bonded pretty strongly with the Mark V though, and my Custom 50 isn't going anywhere, so you had me really figuring an Archon and I was done. I don't see the Archon replacing the Custom 50. I think they're enough different that I'd keep both. I'd consider rolling the Mark V 25 for an Archon 50 though. I have to keep one of the small heads though, so either the Mini Recto or the Mark V25 has to stay so I have one easy to transport amp. I know I like the V25 better, but also have those tones covered with the big V... but no Cab Clone..... where does it end? LOL

Yeah, should have worded better. I meant to say play one "for a while"... You know how some things get better with time and tweaking, and some sound great at first then the flaws reveal themselves over time? This is why I sort of hate playing things in a store. The only time I got to try an Archon, was a 25 watt combo, in a music store that has one BIG room with most of the stuff, and there were people there the whole time. Finally, right before he closed, the last other customer had left, and I had ONLY a couple minutes to turn it up at all. I left feeling I didnt' really know what it sounded like, and, that I wish I'd gotten to play it through one of my closed back "known" cabs.

I like both amps...wouldn't mind spending more time on the Mesa since it does need more tweeking than the PRS.

Sorry for old boost.

The Mark V is an incredible amp. I have had it and I had the Petrucci head before wit but prefer the V. It just does what I want more than the JP amp. JP is more vintage and classic. V is more modern and heavy.

I love rhe Archon too, but now I want to wait for the new Tremonti head, if it is a 100 watt versatile amp.

Back