JM-PRS Strat....coming soon?

Right - but if its quality is better (as you say), then you'd certainly be willing to pay just a little more for the PRS guitar. For example, if the Fender model you like is $1800 but the PRS better version is $2000 ... I'm not familiar, BTW, with the prices ranges people here are quoting - what are prices for SE, S2, and Core? Thanks!

Yep, a person would just need to get their hands on it and play it first to determine if the quality difference is enough to push them over the edge on making the purchase.

If you google 'PRS Catalog' the latest product catalog will pop up to show you the minimal advertised price for the guitars. I think you can usually get the guitars from dealers around this or slightly lower than this listed price. Different models have different listed prices but for 2017, the SEs were running between $650 and $900, the S2s were between $1k and $1350 (with semi hollows listed at higher price of $1679) and Cores between $3390 and $3700 (with Hollowbody higher at $4600). Then of course there are Artist packages which increase the price by allowing for certain set customizations. Then there's dealer special runs and Private Stock.

It’ll be interesting to see how these guitars are received, and how much John’s involvement helps.

I personally bought a DC3 because I wanted a PRS “strat” with what I consider PRS’ usual “improvements”. I always hated the knob placement, trem, and angled bridge pickup on Fender Strats... the DC3 addressed these things... but, it was pretty pricey compared to a Fender. Totally worth it in my opinion, but it seems like a saturated market for these types of guitars. Especially when you can grab a hundred different brands for under $1000.

Hopefully John will pull in those peeps that need to see somebody they idolize/respect playing a guitar before they think it’s good enough for them. And maybe this will be more inline with what most players want from a S-style guitar.

Maybe I have missed something. Aside from the post by John Mayer himself has there actually been a reliable leak from PRS to suggest that this guitar will go into production? I keep thinking PRS have tried three single coil guitars before. I don't know how well they sold but there are no three single coil guitars in the current product range. Maybe this could be an indicator that they were not so popular. Admittedly there is more resemblance to a real Strat with the model that John has so possibly this could have greater appeal.

It’ll be interesting to see how these guitars are received, and how much John’s involvement helps.

I personally bought a DC3 because I wanted a PRS “strat” with what I consider PRS’ usual “improvements”. I always hated the knob placement, trem, and angled bridge pickup on Fender Strats... the DC3 addressed these things... but, it was pretty pricey compared to a Fender. Totally worth it in my opinion, but it seems like a saturated market for these types of guitars. Especially when you can grab a hundred different brands for under $1000.

Hopefully John will pull in those peeps that need to see somebody they idolize/respect playing a guitar before they think it’s good enough for them. And maybe this will be more inline with what most players want from a S-style guitar.

I think PRS hit the gold mine when JM switched teams. I dont particular like JM but he is definitely a modern day guitar rockstar, particularly as related to the strat shape guitar. I wonder if there is a similar celebrity out there for the tele shape...

That 'idolize a guitar player' phenomena is super powerful. I was recently at Paisley Park and was AMAZED at the amount of people paying $2k for Cloud guitar copies. In my head, I was thinking back to the last time I saw Prince play a Cloud (forever ago) then I looked at how 'small' the Cloud was physically at that 3/4 size and I couldnt imagine paying that amount of money for it. But theres a lot of folks who would pay it simply because its a Cloud and Prince played a Cloud (amongst teles, strats, and other guitars, basses, drums, keyboards, tamborines, harps, harmonicas, etc). To each their own I guess.

I think PRS hit the gold mine when JM switched teams. I dont particular like JM but he is definitely a modern day guitar rockstar, particularly as related to the strat shape guitar. I wonder if there is a similar celebrity out there for the tele shape...

That 'idolize a guitar player' phenomena is super powerful. I was recently at Paisley Park and was AMAZED at the amount of people paying $2k for Cloud guitar copies. In my head, I was thinking back to the last time I saw Prince play a Cloud (forever ago) then I looked at how 'small' the Cloud was physically at that 3/4 size and I couldnt imagine paying that amount of money for it. But theres a lot of folks who would pay it simply because its a Cloud and Prince played a Cloud (amongst teles, strats, and other guitars, basses, drums, keyboards, tamborines, harps, harmonicas, etc). To each their own I guess.

I never paid much attention to John until he started playing PRS, then there was an influx of his fans so I poked around and found out what a big deal he is to a lot of people.

I would normally think that wanting a guitar just because your favorite guy plays one is stupid, and I'm too cool and above that behavior... but since you brought up Prince and those Cloud guitars.... Uhh, yeah... I've always wanted one. :oops::rolleyes::D

[QUOTE="I would normally think that wanting a guitar just because your favorite guy plays one is stupid, and I'm too cool and above that behavior... but since you brought up Prince and those Cloud guitars.... Uhh, yeah... I've always wanted one. :oops::rolleyes::D[/QUOTE]

You know, I thought I saw a blue Cloud guitar at the Park with your name on it. Its just waiting for you to pick it up and play that Purple Rain solo....

I cant wait to see the subsequent YouTube video.

I wasn't able to grab a PRS S type guitar while they were still I production, story of my life but I digress... I would want one regardless, but now that JM's name, and ear for incredible tones, is attached to it, makes me want one even more. Call me what you will!

[QUOTE="I would normally think that wanting a guitar just because your favorite guy plays one is stupid, and I'm too cool and above that behavior... but since you brought up Prince and those Cloud guitars.... Uhh, yeah... I've always wanted one. :oops::rolleyes::D

You know, I thought I saw a blue Cloud guitar at the Park with your name on it. Its just waiting for you to pick it up and play that Purple Rain solo....

I cant wait to see the subsequent YouTube video.[/QUOTE]

Nah man, I want a white one. I just can’t bring myself to slap my girl for one... at least I think that’s how prince got his.

I cant wait to see the subsequent YouTube video.

Nah man, I want a white one. I just can’t bring myself to slap my girl for one... at least I think that’s how prince got his.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but that was only after she failed to purify herself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka.

Nah man, I want a white one. I just can’t bring myself to slap my girl for one... at least I think that’s how prince got his.

Yeah but that was only after she failed to purify herself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka.[/QUOTE]

The Kid was a total d!ck.

Wow, that price is marked up! I'd call the Park and see if they've sold out of that color first before paying an up-charge. These official estate authorized copies are $1750. They started selling them this year with the presale having started in late 2016.

And judging by the way they are selling stuff off, if they are sold out now, there will most likely be more on the way.

I'm gonna pass on the miniature Cloud, I told them to call me when they finally ink a deal to sell legit Madcat Tele's. I'd be snapping one of those up with the quickness.

The coolest thing in the giftshop is the famous guitar hardcover book. It only covers 1/3 of his guitars but the book is beautifully made with tons of in-depth guitar photos...even pedal boards are covered in detail. Prince kept EVERYTHING. It will be years before they inventory all the cool stuff in that house of his.

I never paid much attention to John until he started playing PRS, then there was an influx of his fans so I poked around and found out what a big deal he is to a lot of people.

I would normally think that wanting a guitar just because your favorite guy plays one is stupid, and I'm too cool and above that behavior... but since you brought up Prince and those Cloud guitars.... Uhh, yeah... I've always wanted one. :oops::rolleyes::D
I've always wanted one of those Hohner Teles he used in Purple Rain myself... I played a couple replicas that were okay, but they weighed more than I could live with... maybe someday...

I've always wanted one of those Hohner Teles he used in Purple Rain myself... I played a couple replicas that were okay, but they weighed more than I could live with... maybe someday...

I'm with you. He loved those Hohner Madcats and had several copies made throughout his career. If I hear that they start selling them, I will post here. The original one is in a glass case in the house; looks like its been through a fire.

I dont know why he went Vox in the last years...

Theres a lot of modified strats at the house. He had them modded like teles with no middle pup. Theres also lots of Soldano / Mesa Boogie amps. And Boss pedals.

Back