Is this a good thing or not?

Is this a good thing?

• Yes

Votes: 11 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I admit that when my daughter (13) started graviting to rock instead of hiphop I was pleased. Even more so when she liked some stuff that I thought had some integrity, but 5 is a little young to be singing lyrics meant for adults, or at least crazed teenagers. At 5 she should be singing Sesame street.

It's neither good nor bad. The lyrics mean nothing to her like they do to an adult.

Incidentally, my daughter sang and did a dance routine to "Material Girl" onstage at 5. She went on to honors college at UCSB, got a law degree, and is. a fantastic wife and mother.

It's ridiculous for anyone to create an issue around a kid having fun with a song. If it offends someone in your family, just introduce her to a different song she can have fun with and rock out to. She won't care.

Incidentally, the children's song "Ring Around the Rosy" was originally an adult song about the Bubonic Plague, and the burning of the bodies of plague victims. Yet generations of little ones sang it as a nonsense song because there was no connection to the meaning of the lyrics.

Kids' brains don't go into that deeper meaning stuff.

Six of one...

It would be more worrying if she was singing the lyrics from rap, hip hop, etc... Something that is overtly sexually and violently suggestive is definitely wrong for a child to be singing.

There isn't really anything worrying contained in the lyrics to that song so I wouldn't worry.

If my son starts singing Sledgehammer one day I'd sing along with him! :)

I get more worried by the suggestive and often explicit dancing that you see in vids these days...

Kids that age walking around singing or humming a song is a sign that they are interested in music. I view it as a positive.
Just my 2 cents. I wouldn't worry about it.

Let's be clear, she doesn't hear this song often, We were in my truck and I had to run back in the house real quick and it came on while I was in the house. We are very sensitive about what she watches, much more so than about what she hears on the radio, although there are some things we don't listen to. She loves to sing, especially Journey. I see this as a win. It's not Justin Beiber, she's getting into music that someone actually has to play.

My then 5 year old youngest daughter caused raised eyebrows hen she told one of the older local mums at her preschool that "terminator" was her favorite movie. Her older sisters and I loved it. Like Les says kids sing words to catchy tunes and don't think about what they mean until they are 10-11 Let them sing.

I agree with Les that a lot of nursery rhymes are rooted in some dark stories, but I think believing that none of the underlying meanings don't sink in with kids is a little naive.

It could be worse. When my son was 4 we picked him up from the daycare and the teacher wanted to know how he knew Nickelback's How You Remind Me.

It was on the radio everywhere back then. I swear it wasn't from me.

I am however responsible for him knowing Metallica's Master Of Puppets by age 5. :rock:

Last edited:
It could be worse is right. Flashback to 1989, my best friend has a three year old son. He can rattle off the names of the members of Kiss and Judas Priest. That's pretty innocuous. However, his pop was/is a huge Andrew Dice Clay fan. '89 is right in the wheelhouse of Dice's time. If you uttered the phrase "little boy blue" his 3 year old son would reply with "he needed the money." The men roared hysterically, and the women folk expressed their disgust. At the time, it was hilarious. In hind sight, probably not so much.

although it still makes me giggle 26 years later. Especially since Jr. still lives at home and show no desire to move out. Serves the old man right!

Last edited:
:rock:

When my daughter was a baby, the Red Hot Chili Peppers "Blood Sugar Sex Magik" CD was the one disc guaranteed to soothe her. As soon as the guitar at the beginning started, she stopped doing whatever it was she was doing.

Later, she and I danced to a Zappa doo wop medley. Some of the best times of my life.

My son never latched on to any one thing like that, but he recognized some things at a very young age. One day he walked in, listened to what I was listening to and said, "That sounds like Frank Zappa with more guitar." It was a live version of "Peaches En Regalia".

I wouldn't sweat it. Really. The important thing is not that she might get exposed to something "inappropriate", but that she knows how to handle herself when it happens.

I am however responsible for him know Metallica's Master Of Puppets by age 5. :rock:

You are a great dad.

My son, 9 years ago. His mommy bought him that and she rules. :rock:

100_0175_zpsa827670e.jpg

And this is what happened last week when i picked out my daughters clothes. (She borrowed her big bros. shirt :D )

3CE278F5-3D30-478B-99C4-FCBFB27FB202_zpskhmnbnmh.jpg

Last edited:
Back