Is this a construction defect in the neck/body? Used SE Hollowbody II Piezo purchase

prskier17

I just received and opened a stunning SE Hollowbody II Piezo. Upon initial inspection I noticed that approx. 1/8" of unfinished neck wood is visible near the neck pickup ring, which I thought was odd. I also noticed that the bridge is set relatively high. Finally, when plugged in I noticed that the magnetic pickups (neck and bridge) are lower volume than than the piezo. All of this put together makes me concerned that there was a construction issue where the neck is set too high in the body. Can anyone with this model look at the photos and offer feedback? I have photos but can't post a link to them until I have 3 posts.

Posting some images for you....
AMWts8Bpu4OA-QU5jPUcBRDNFhc8EDyRRe0lWLZrUhSmc7aDZh_odfw1cn6ocT0ca9ENNexf4-d-9pOWj23B9unNyoy9lAmp_-VkuGMPu4GIACzO3GCvISBwyx7PCaNtNydzoPTNy88sX41uWyt-1UM94VikKw=w1386-h1039-no

AMWts8AIj6xsExTxDKFunp60eQniJI7Dq9Cix3mD8IF8cCgH5YqcCaU2hIz5C8oMd53t2rY0LEzbJHYoBYVJ8xZCGW3e0cXz1dY980zdzWDz5zm6Dc76I0Dw0hT6JCC__AYCY0v4hKwLxbuilVoB9GOfM6ky-Q=w1386-h1039-no

I just received and opened a stunning SE Hollowbody II Piezo. Upon initial inspection I noticed that approx. 1/8" of unfinished neck wood is visible near the neck pickup ring, which I thought was odd. I also noticed that the bridge is set relatively high. Finally, when plugged in I noticed that the magnetic pickups (neck and bridge) are lower volume than than the piezo. All of this put together makes me concerned that there was a construction issue where the neck is set too high in the body. Can anyone with this model look at the photos and offer feedback? I have photos but can't post a link to them until I have 3 posts.
How high is the action? If that is high too you could lower the bridge a bit.
For pickup volume, the piezo typically goes into an acoustic amp or DI separately from pickups, but if you want them together I can see how you want them balanced. Depending on tone of the humbuckers, you could raise them potentially. Although eyeballing it on the pics they look about right.

I don't have much experience with SE models but the neck is higher than I would expect, almost like it wasn't cut down enough or the neck pocket wasn't cut deep enough? Hopefully a few others who have experience with the SE line can chime in and give you some advice.

Good looking guitar though. I hope you can sort it all out.

Thanks for inserting the pics into the post! The action is about 2/32". I don't want to touch anything as I may be returning the guitar.

That neck looks normal. Here's a pic I just pulled off of Reverb. Looks the same.

tKxelnS.jpg
This is promising! If it is normal than I will keep the guitar and do my own setup to adjust the action and pickups. I purchased the guitar online used, but the store does have a return policy. I just don't want to be stuck with the guitar if it has a defect. I searched through a bunch of images online and didn't see any with the neck as high as mine until you posted this.

This is promising! If it is normal than I will keep the guitar and do my own setup to adjust the action and pickups. I purchased the guitar online used, but the store does have a return policy. I just don't want to be stuck with the guitar if it has a defect. I searched through a bunch of images online and didn't see any with the neck as high as mine until you posted this.
Yeah, I didn't find any good pictures on Google. Figured Reverb may be a better resource with pics from different angles.

Vis-a-vis the disparity in Piezo and Mag Pup volumes ~ I don't have an SE, but I have a core Hollowbody II piezo, and I can attest there is a significant volume difference between the piezo and magnetic pickups when mixed through the same output. I attribute this to the fact that the magnetic pickups (57/08s in my case) are passive, while the piezo incorporates a preamp. When I do mix in the piezo with my magnetic pickups, I will have the piezo volume set around 2-3... I think I remember reading that there's an output trim pot on the piezo preamp board, but I've never pulled it to look myself. ;

I have one of these in Black Gold burst and everything looks the same as my axe. I have a NGD somewhere on here with pics.

The Piezo has a trim pot on the board to reduce gain and I did adjust mine so its more unity with the mags. It is easy to adjust.

Yes on the flamed wood binding, it looks stellar!

Congrats on the acquisition. After some adjustments you'll be very happy I expect!

Here are some photos of mine for comparison. I’ve had it a year and love it. No complaints, everything about it has been excellent. I did buy in person from my local dealer, who is also a friend and my regular tech/luthier so it was set up perfectly from the jump. Hope these are helpful.

6335-BF39-69-B1-441-E-A635-FD28315-DCA8-E.jpg

9-D6-AEA93-6-F61-46-A7-94-D3-B611403-A7-E9-A.jpg

46-F77-C1-B-9-B79-42-F5-8823-0-CAC4-DB7-C773.jpg

Back