In Praise Of Eric

IKnowALittle

Never really gets his due.

Watching a lot of the recent posts, I was a little surprised by how many guys are just starting out, tryin' to improve, or stuck where they are.

If you want to play the blues, learn this ...

For the Ultimate Garage Band, learn this ...

Challenge yourself, it will always pay dividends.

Good luck to whomever might be interested.

Last edited:
EC is one of my biggest influences. So much great playing over the decades.
Same for me. I have probably learned more licks and songs of his than any other band / artist.
Also like Gary Moore quite a bit as well. Both Red House and Still Got The Blues are classics (IMHO)

Due to my new guitar and this topic I'm having another go at learning the Crossroads solos, the intro is fine the rest is just a shambles at the moment:eek:

The thing that blows my mind about Clapton (besides his guitar playing and longevity) is:
1- The Yardbirds
2- Blues Breakers
3- Cream
4- Blind Faith
5-Derek and the Dominoes
6- Solo Career (40+yrs)
Wow, pretty amazing career and an indelible mark on (guitar) music in general! He's one of, if not, the main reasons why chose to play an 335, SG, and a strat.
(Now however I only own 3 PRS's) but I still appreciate all guitars in general.
RonnieD

Oh man... I wish I could relate :(

I find Clapton to be overrated as a guitarist. I mean, he's one of the most famous and yet least creative. When I watch the video above all I hear are the guys he's emulating (Muddy, Albert King, BB, Buddy Guy...).

I understand his influence and don't discard his success as a musician. However when I make my list of guitarists I could not live without he never makes it, for he has never offered me anything his predecessors didn't.

Just my opinion.

My main man would be Kossoff. I know for a fact Clapton asked him how come he was so good at vibrato. If you don't get him you don't, there's quite a few I avoid if at all possible.

Had to Google :oops: and I'm glad I did. Really, really good. Will look for more!

If you're talking about Paul Kossoff check out the Free - "Tons of Sobs" album.

(On a side note listen to Andy Fraser's (RIP) bass playing)

I am Mixstar. Can't believe I had never heard him (although I had heard the name). Another great guitarist I recently discovered is Roy Gallagher... pretty dope as well.

Seriously, you never heard of Rory Gallagher before now? Mind you, I suppose it's the same as me, I'd never heard of Mark Tremonti or Paul Allender before I bought my first PRS and still not sure what they are about. It's horses for courses I guess.

Never... and I love that era (being born in '69 and all). Funny you mention Tremonti, I didn't know David Grinsson before getting a DGT.

Eric Clapton is a fantastic musician who took the music much further thanAlbert King or Buddy Guy, as good as those folk are. Any one who doesn't think Disraeli Gears isn't a step up on "traditional" Chicago electric blues just hasn't listened to it enough. Paul Kossof had one good song as far as I'm concerned, but maybe that's too harsh, Rory Gallagher had moments with Taste but was fairly derivative as well. However what's most often over looked, in my opinion, is EC's vocal ability. It's interesting that the vast majority of well known blues guitarists are also reasonably capable sings, Peter Green, Albert King.

Eric is one of the few artists to be able to extend his career and break new ground beyond the initial,image. For instance "lay down Sally" was I think a no 1 country hit. "cocaine", "after midnight" "I shot the sheriff" are totally removed from Albert King etc and were, in my opinion far better done than the originals, in the same way that jimi could make all "along the watchtower" a far greater song than even Dylan could have imagined.

I hear you ozboy, and I do agree that Clapton is a very accomplished and influential musician. I just think he's overrated as a guitar player.

Well, ya see, Gary Moore doesn't do it for me the same as Joe Bonamassa. There's too much going on all the time for my taste, I prefer my blues simple just like me.

Reactions: jay
Oh man... I wish I could relate :(

I find Clapton to be overrated as a guitarist. I mean, he's one of the most famous and yet least creative. When I watch the video above all I hear are the guys he's emulating (Muddy, Albert King, BB, Buddy Guy...).

I understand his influence and don't discard his success as a musician. However when I make my list of guitarists I could not live without he never makes it, for he has never offered me anything his predecessors didn't.

Just my opinion.

Dude;

[mod edit]
Clapton was the "white guy" blues guitarist who promoted and made second careers of all the guys u mention.
[mod edit]

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude;

[mod edit]
Clapton was the "white guy" blues guitarist who promoted and made second careers of all the guys u mention.
[mod edit]

Dude;
You seem to take offense....
I feel like Clapton did some great work with Cream and Derek and the Dominos, but I find more often than not his pop solo stuff to be boring and very middle of the road (there are exceptions - "The Core" for example), and his blues, as RenatoNYC pointed out, is pretty derivative.
He did break some ground for acceptance of blues, and popularizing hot lead guitar, but plenty of guys do it better. Among his contemporaries, give me Beck or Page any day.
So feel free to insult me for my opinion as well..........

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Back