Improved: Rounder Spaces

László

Too Many Notes
A few things bugged me about Rounder Spaces, so I decided to do a bit more work on a few details. Because, why not spend my time on the planet improving the stuff I do?

On subsequent critical re-listens (I'm my own worst critic) I thought it lacked bottom end; also the bassoons and oboes didn’t work for me in certain areas. So to increase the depth a bit, I changed the cellos from spiccato to legato, then changed the bassoons and oboes from legato to staccato to add some crispness, added some basses in a few sections, added some bass drum, and changed the ending - I thought it’d be more of a fun thing to suspend the last note for a measure and a beat. I also upped the volume on the col legno second violins during the bigger string theme, and added a flute counterpoint.

For me, it finally has the oomph now that I felt was missing. Not that the original idea was bad, but it just felt a bit light and not crisp enough to me.

Check it out, and. let me know what you think - Rounder Spaces is the first piece on the link:

Thanks, guys. I can't think of any more ways to tart it up, so I think the composition, or at least the recording of this version, is finished.

At some point I should do a kickstarter to hire an orchestra to play some of this stuff.

"You might raise three cents, Les. I'm sure it would take awhile to get that three cents, but then you could do another Threepenny Opera."

"There aren't any singers on this piece."

"Well, then call it the Threepenny Orchestral Mishmash."

"I could kick in two cents of my own, and have a "Wooden Nickel Musical Thingy-Dingy."

"I think Thingamajig sounds more dignified than Thingy-Dingy."

"Good point."

Nice rework! Felt like the synth was some sort of invader from time to time, swooping in on the orchestra!! Glad the players were able to hold it together!!! Thanks for sharing!!!!

Back