I Just Can't Stop! New Smaller Ensemble Piece, "Riddle Me This."

László

Too Many Notes
I often go in for the bigger, more bombastic stuff, but here are times I want to write for a smaller ensemble.

That probably overstates the advance planning, because things morph and develop as I go along.

Anyway, I was messing around with some solo brass and woodwind sounds, and they inspired this very short, somewhat light hearted piece, that might work for a single film cue. So this one has a small brass section with solo trumpet, then goes into some solo woodwinds and strings, I bring in piano later, then some bassoons, and...the result is this little mashup:

I was expecting it might be a theme from Gotham City but, as usual, was pleasantly surprised! Good work, Caped Crusader!

I also followed the link to Robert’s photography work. Amazing stuff. The way he uses the light in his work is so like a really great painting. He’s an artist with that lens.

I was expecting it might be a theme from Gotham City but, as usual, was pleasantly surprised! Good work, Caped Crusader!

I also followed the link to Robert’s photography work. Amazing stuff. The way he uses the light in his work is so like a really great painting. He’s an artist with that lens.

Those are paintings Rick, unless I’m mistaken.

Beautiful composition as always Les, thanks for sharing it with us.

You’ll be even more in awe of Robert’s work when you realize they’re paintings!

Those are indeed oil paintings, not photographs!!

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

I kind of pick random names for the pieces, but this one was because I was starting with tritone chords (Eb > A) and I felt that composing melodies with those changes was kind of a riddle, or maybe a puzzle.

Oh my goodness… a young master!
He's pretty darn good at painting, am I right?

The canvases are pretty large, some as big as 8' x 10'. others as small as 4' x 3'. There's a lot of work involved, but that's why his work is in the Smithsonian's Portrait Gallery this year.

He's achieved mastery of his medium. That's wonderful, and it's my yardstick for my own work, except that I haven't gotten there yet. But I'm trying like hell to get there! :)

Back