Daylight Suite

Great updates to this piece Les! I think this stuff is better suited to this type of length rather than the 2-3 minute stuff. Feels more complete, like the whole story has been told!! Thanks for the window to your mind!!!
OMG, if there's a window into my mind, you definitely don't want to see it!!

- insert 'laugh til I cry' emoji -

I decided last night that JXE is more right than he may have intended to be in his first post in this thread. It takes a lifetime of dedication to one thing to reach the level my brother has in painting. I've done that only in ad music - assuming there is such a level of excellence in the first place in Ad World - I should be happy with that. It's more than I ever hoped for.

The orchestral music thing is fun, but fun is not what I'm after, and it doesn't count. What counts is excellence. Either it is, or it isn't. I don't see shades of grey or excuses in that analysis. If I was 20, well maybe. But I haven't been 20 for like 1000 years.

My challenge to myself is, 'Does the work hold up compared to the best of the best?".

It does not. I'll never settle for that. I've always said that one has to be aware of their limitations. I think I've bumped up against mine.

I'm going back to doing what I know how to do well. I'm going to take a step back from all this nonsense.

I decided last night that JXE is more right than he may have intended to be in his first post in this thread. It takes a lifetime of dedication to one thing to reach the level my brother has in painting. I've done that only in ad music - assuming there is such a level of excellence in the first place in Ad World - I should be happy with that. It's more than I ever hoped for.

The orchestral music thing is fun, but fun is not what I'm after, and it doesn't count. What counts is excellence. Either it is, or it isn't. I don't see shades of grey or excuses in that analysis. If I was 20, well maybe. But I haven't been 20 for like 1000 years.

My challenge to myself is, 'Does the work hold up compared to the best of the best?".

It does not. I'll never settle for that. I've always said that one has to be aware of their limitations. I think I've bumped up against mine.

I'm going back to doing what I know how to do well. I'm going to take a step back from all this nonsense.
Sorry to hear you are drawing the curtains on this window to your mind! And yes, it is a window, and we all have many of them. When you look in the window of a house, you don't see the whole house, you only see what is right inside that window. Same with any music piece you put out to the world, or the clothes you wear, these are all windows to your mind IMO! As for drawing the curtains on this chapter, I think if you enjoy it and/or you are learning from it, you should continue. If you think you need to stop because it is not up there with the best of the best, then I would say you are looking through the wrong window! Plus you just got those new instruments to play with!! Whatever you do, I am all for it so please don't read my comments any other way! Looking forward to the next Lesventure!!!

Sometimes a break from something allows you to come back with renewed vigour.

Your last piece really captured the essence of what I feel is a musical piece that an audience could appreciate in a live setting.

As an artist, you will most likely be your own harshest critic, always searching for perfection that is maybe not ever be achievable, to your satisfaction.

I personally feel it would be a great shame if you don’t re-visit this at some time.

Be safe my friend.

I've gone through the same thing many times in regards to my music and that's the thing about art. It's subjective and we are the worst critics of our own art. There is always someone out there who will enjoy it and just as many if not more who don't. I do not like Picasso in any shape or form, but that doesn't change how much one of his paintings will go for. I like Dali and Boris Vallejo. I don't like Conway Twitty, but he was quite successful. I'll never be Metallica, but I still like writing heavy metal music. We have to do what we have to do to put food on the table, but as they say "you do you".

I appreciate the support, guys. But at heart, I know you're being overly kind.

Here's the problem as I see it: In the ad world, I'm in the NFL I've scored dozens and dozens of national ad campaigns for Fortune 500 companies. I've gone to the ad world pro bowl. I've scored award winning TV documentaries. That's not easy to do. I never thought I'd get to that level. Yet, it happened. That's great, and I'm proud of it!

In the orchestral world, I'm still playing high school ball, and frankly, I'm not playing well enough to get a scholarship to a P5 team. JXE's post simply reminded me of that fact.

I'm not the type of person who will accept the status of 'wannabe'. I've been at the game too long, and listening to my own work with a critical ear - as I. must - I think I should stop posting tracks.

You've all been very supportive, but in music, you're either playing with the big dogs and are able to pee in the tall grass, or you're second-rate. For me, second-rate is an embarrassment. As it should be!

The orchestral work has at the very least informed my ad work and given me different musical ideas. However, that doesn't mean it's worthy.

I see people on YouTube performing stuff they should NEVER be putting into the world. Yet people are very supportive of these 'fails' - I call that a pity party.

One can indeed be too nice. Constructive criticism is a better thing, but no one seems to want to hurt anyone else's feelings, especially here where we're all truly friends. Still, I can look at my watch and know what time it is.

"Time doesn't exist, Les. Quantum theorists kind of proved that."

"Bullsh!t."

You should be tearing this stuff apart, but you're too nice. So I have to tear it apart myself. It's not 'there' yet. Maybe at some point it will be. Whatever the outcome, though, I truly appreciate your friendship.

Last edited:
Best of luck in all you do Mr. Les! And BTW, no pity party from me on my compliments, but then again I don't know orchestral music the way you do, so I can not dice it the way you can!! Does not mean I will stop complimenting you though ;~)) It's impressive to me!!!

I appreciate the support, guys. But at heart, I know you're being overly kind.

Here's the problem as I see it: In the ad world, I'm in the NFL I've scored dozens and dozens of national ad campaigns for Fortune 500 companies. I've gone to the ad world pro bowl. I've scored award winning TV documentaries. That's not easy to do. I never thought I'd get to that level. Yet, it happened. That's great, and I'm proud of it!

In the orchestral world, I'm still playing high school ball, and frankly, I'm not playing well enough to get a scholarship to a P5 team. JXE's post simply reminded me of that fact.

I'm not the type of person who will accept the status of 'wannabe'. I've been at the game too long, and listening to my own work with a critical ear - as I. must - I think I should stop posting tracks.

You've all been very supportive, but in music, you're either playing with the big dogs and are able to pee in the tall grass, or you're second-rate. For me, second-rate is an embarrassment. As it should be!

The orchestral work has at the very least informed my ad work and given me different musical ideas. However, that doesn't mean it's worthy.

I see people on YouTube performing stuff they should NEVER be putting into the world. Yet people are very supportive of these 'fails' - I call that a pity party.

One can indeed be too nice. Constructive criticism is a better thing, but no one seems to want to hurt anyone else's feelings, especially here where we're all truly friends. Still, I can look at my watch and know what time it is.

"Time doesn't exist, Les. Quantum theorists kind of proved that."

"Bullsh!t."

You should be tearing this stuff apart, but you're too nice. So I have to tear it apart myself. It's not 'there' yet. Maybe at some point it will be. Whatever the outcome, though, I truly appreciate your friendship.
I get this.

Still, it was good fun to listen to, and play with some of the people I knew while I was in high school. Granted, most of them had been professions for a while - I was almost always the young kid who was fearless and available, but didn’t overplay.

The reason I rarely post my playing here is that I’m not not the same league.

hey whoa, i wasn't trying to discourage these compositions -- i would think even an 'ad music guy' would have some curiosity about many kinds of music, and it doesn't take anything but time to explore those avenues. i mean you have heard hans zimmer's bass playing, right? if nothing else it has to help clear the mind to focus on the next score.

another thing -- i appreciate that you always have the gumption to post your tracks and clips instead of just rambling on like howie and me. you're an inspiration, and when i said one in a million i meant it.

hey whoa, i wasn't trying to discourage these compositions -- i would think even an 'ad music guy' would have some curiosity about many kinds of music, and it doesn't take anything but time to explore those avenues. i mean you have heard hans zimmer's bass playing, right? if nothing else it has to help clear the mind to focus on the next score.

another thing -- i appreciate that you always have the gumption to post your tracks and clips instead of just rambling on like howie and me. you're an inspiration, and when i said one in a million i meant it.
I 100% know you weren't trying to discourage the work! I think what you did was a good thing.

I'd rather be told something hasn't reached a certain level, than be jollied along. Participation trophies aren't my thing.

F'rinstance, I always tell my ad clients that I'd rather get blunt, effective criticism than to have them settle for something that they don't love, and then never call me again. If the work isn't ready for prime time, well, I'd rather know that.

It's too easy to fall in love with one's own work. After all, it's your baby. That's why people telling musicians to think about the work a little more is a good thing.

I might 'get there', at least as far as my own self-criticism is concerned, I most likely will not. I'm OK with that. I do think I've created one track that might be worthy, and I've posted it here, the Tension and Repentance track. It's a hybrid of several styles/techniques, and it works for me, regardless. But classical music it ain't. ;)

Last edited:
I 100% know you weren't trying to discourage the work! I think what you did was a good thing.

I'd rather be told something hasn't reached a certain level, than be jollied along. Participation trophies aren't my thing.

F'rinstance, I always tell my ad clients that I'd rather get blunt, effective criticism than to have them settle for something that they don't love, and then never call me again. If the work isn't ready for prime time, well, I'd rather know that.

It's too easy to fall in love with one's own work. After all, it's your baby. That's why people telling musicians to think about the work a little more is a good thing.

I might 'get there', at least as far as my own self-criticism is concerned, I most likely will not. I'm OK with that. I do think I've created one track that might be worthy, and I've posted it here, the Tension and Repentance track. It's a hybrid of several styles/techniques, and it works for me, regardless. But classical music it ain't. ;)
I am the same way, and to be frank, I was being honest. I am still in awe of you commercial stuff!

Well, OK. I've had a few days to let this percolate, so I listened to this little suite again.

You know what, it isn't a work of utter genius, but it's not bad. Parts of it are very good, parts are OK, but none of it is an embarrassment, and it sounds professional.

It doesn't push the envelope, but it's pretty and would work for a certain type of cue, perhaps with better orchestration. I'd hire an orchestrator for that anyway if someone picked this up for license.

So f#ck all this hand-wringing. I'm on the same journey as everyone else, and not everyone can do this stuff all that well. I'll keep moving forward, study harder, work harder, and see where I am a year from now.

Well, OK. I've had a few days to let this percolate, so I listened to this little suite again.

You know what, it isn't a work of utter genius, but it's not bad. Parts of it are very good, parts are OK, but none of it is an embarrassment, and it sounds professional.

It doesn't push the envelope, but it's pretty and would work for a certain type of cue, perhaps with better orchestration. I'd hire an orchestrator for that anyway if someone picked this up for license.

So f#ck all this hand-wringing. I'm on the same journey as everyone else, and not everyone can do this stuff all that well. I'll keep moving forward, study harder, work harder, and see where I am a year from now.
Now you’re talking sense :p

Back