I'm considering a couple pickup swaps and could use some input.

Evan

So, I've got a McCarty 58 (57/08s) and a P22 (53/10s).

I love both of them, although I must admit that they overlap sonically a fair amount. That is to say, given limited financial resources, and my general goal of acquiring a diverse stable of guitars, I'm finding it hard to justify keeping the McCarty 58 (the P22 will likely be buried with me). But there's something almost magical about that McCarty 58 that prevents me from selling it.

So my latest thought is that I might put the 57/08s from the McCarty into my P22, and put Seymour Duncan P-Rails in the McCarty.

Sounds to me like a good idea on paper, but I've never swapped pickups before, and am not sure of the technical feasibility. Or whether there's some other consideration that I'm overlooking that would make this a bad idea. (I don't recall seeing many used PRSi with aftermarket pups.)

So, my question is simply, is this the good idea I imagine it to be? And will implementing it be complicated/expensive? Thanks for your thoughts!

It's never a bad idea to remove your 53/10s and send them to me.

I'd sooner try the 53/10's in the Mac, and something else in the 22. IMO 53/10's are magical pickups, and I'd bet they'd sound sublime in the thicker bodied McCarty.

I'd sooner try the 53/10's in the Mac, and something else in the 22. IMO 53/10's are magical pickups, and I'd bet they'd sound sublime in the thicker bodied McCarty.

That's an interesting thought that for some reason I hadn't considered. It's not that I don't like the 53/10s, I just want to maximize the sonic ground I can cover with 4 guitars (the two PRSi mentioned, along with a Les Paul '68 RI and a Tele). And then I started reading/hearing about the versatility of the SD P-Rails.

In an ideal world, I think I'd straight swap the pups in my PRSi, and maybe get another platform for pickup experimentation. And then I start thinking that the Mac is perfect for such experimentation. ;)

I dunno. I just listened to a bunch of P-Rails clips and thought that while they do a lot, none of what they do sounded rich or characterful. I couldn't get away from thinking that they sound generic.

53/10s and 57/08s are much more interesting sounding to me. I'm a big fan of a good P-90, but these...well...YMMV.

I'd be intrigued to hear personal reports on the P-Rail pickups. Those look VERY interesting.

Don't they though?! I think my quandary is less about any dissatisfaction with my PRS pickups, than simply, 'what can I put those P-Rails into?!' ;)

I think I'd straight swap the pups in my PRSi, and maybe get another platform for pickup experimentation. ;)

I would probably keep the PRSi, PRSi. Switching some things between them, or just leaving them alone, as they are, would probably be a very excellent idea.

Possibly get a used guitar to experiment with and transform into a super nice guitar.

Just as an example I looked at a very nice Mexican strat at a store by me today, for 200 dollars; perfect for hot rodding into an awesome guitar.

I also played an LTD EC-256 (LP copy) distressed goldtop that is selling for 175 in perfect working condition and it's a really nice example of one of these. It is in excellent condition and has a great feeling (to me) neck and it sounds super great, stock; but I could see adding some nice locking tuners, new chrome knurled barrel P bass control knobs, and some other things to make this into a super stealthy, rocking machine.

I played it thru one of the new Peavey Valveking II combo's - the fifty watt one and it screamed on the overdrive channel. Both of these items together would be very affordable and they would make a screamingly nice rig, while retaining the vibe and class of the PRSi.

I'd leave the PRSi alone and expand onto a real nice platform to build up, like the one described above.

Last edited:
I would probably keep the PRSi, PRSi. Switching some things between them, or just leaving them alone, as they are, would probably be a very excellent idea........I'd leave the PRSi alone and expand onto a real nice platform to build up, like the one described above.

I can't really argue with that logic, it's pretty sound. ;) Probably cost me $1000, but it's solid advice. lol

Do what I did.....I had a decent Fender Strat. Nice pickups, but.......I got one of these preassembled pickguards and swapped it.....Easy. Video how to on their site.
For not a lot more than just buying the P-rails, you get 3 pickups with 3 push/pulls, which, with the 5 way, give you every pickup combination........And the P-rails each have FOUR sounds.....SC, P-90, series HB and parallel HB (like modern and vintage). A real Swiss army knife type guitar. But a jack of all trades, master of none. The P90 sound is best (IMO), the others good enough to get by.

Not nearly as nice as the PRS pups you already have, but...... I think it would satisfy that itch better than buying a pair and sticking them into either of those PRS guitars. IMHO.

http://www.siglermusiconline.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=5556&idcategory=

They're a fun pickup if you're experimenting, I have one in the neck position of my Gucci Top courtesy of our member Richard (where's he been?). I feel it does a decent enough job as a 'bucker and a hyped P-90, but there seems to be something about two magnetic fields placed so closely together in all splittable 'buckers that messes with single coil tones.

They're a fun pickup if you're experimenting, I have one in the neck position of my Gucci Top courtesy of our member Richard (where's he been?). I feel it does a decent enough job as a 'bucker and a hyped P-90, but there seems to be something about two magnetic fields placed so closely together in all splittable 'buckers that messes with single coil tones.

I have never found anything remarkable with so called "coil split" humbuckers. They just don't sound like high quality single coils do. It seems like things that try to do too many things usually fall short somewhere along the line. I think it is better if they are designed to do one thing "really" good. I have single coil guitars for single coil uses; but to each their own, and do what you like in order to make you happy a an individual. It also seems like complicated wiring schemes seems to add noise at every connection. Seymour Duncan, however, does a great job when it comes to making really good pickups.

From my own experience I can tell you that swapping PUs on a P22 is no easy task.

The original PUs are specially made 3-conductor version of the 53/10s, that's why they are called "P22 Treble" and "P22 Bass" on the hangtag and (probably?) why no PU substitutions are allowed for the Artist Package P2x.

Just open the control cavities of both your guitars and compare the wires coming out of your 57/08s and 53/10s. They probably will not look the same :-(

Another problem is that the magnetic PUs have to be "in phase" with the piezo system. According to PTC not many will...

After a long search I have found after-market PUs that fit the P22 electronics, but as this is a company forum I'm not sure if it's OK to "advertise" other brands,
even if PRS uses PUs from this specific brand for several artist projects quite recently ;-)

Last edited:
Personally, I'm not a big fan of P Rails. I wonder if the PTC could slap some \m/ pickups into the P22?

I noticed that you have an older LP an a Tele.

Maybe you would want to upgrade the pickups on them to reach some new sonic ground. Seymour Duncan "Pearly Gates" or "Alnico II Pro's" would be some good LP type replacement pickups that might spark up an old LP. I put some Duncan Alnico II Pro tele pickups in my MIM tele and it was transformed into one of my favorite guitars, very quiet and noise cancelling when in the middle switch position.

The new Peavey ValveKing II head sounded very good to me, at 20 tube watts, clean and on overdrive.

You have some great options to pursue if you decide to leave the PRS guitars stock.

I'm not overly impressed with the P Rail pickups.

I really like the stock pickups in my PRS SE guitars. All the SE's I have sound different, even the ones with the same pickups; on the exact same amp settings. I don't really understand that, but it could be pickup height, strings, neck wood differences (one is maple and the others are mahogany), scale length; I don't really know what causes the sonic differences in such similar guitars. Maybe they are wired differently.

I have no experience with the P Rails pick ups, but her is what I think.
I am a big fan of the Seymour Duncan's pick ups. They do have very good stuff. I replace pick ups and hardware overtime I think I need something extra from that guitar.
Evan, you have a lot of sounds covered with that Tele / LP / P22 trio. But we all will understand you if you say you need a hollow body guitar, a mini hum bucker equipped, a 24 frets with Floyd and so on... I don't like guitars, cars, bicycles or anything that says it can do it all. Just can't. If you're looking for a P90 sound (I love them!), go for it. IF you need a single coil sound, go for it, in the end, those guitars, pick ups system and electronics can do the trick, but they won't sound like the real thing.
So this is just my opinion, but if I can add another thing, the P22 is the ultimate gig guitar. If you can only take one guitar to a gig, that would be my chosen weapon.

Back