I'll Put This Here And CE If Anyone Notices..

First time poster here and I just wanted to chime in that the aesthetics on this model, particularly the tobacco burst, are just fantastic. I've been drooling over PRS guitars since I was a kid in the early eighties and while the high gloss figured tops really are amazing and beautiful, they just don't fit my personal tastes quite like the satin finished mahogany without the maple top does. Something about it just feels like a no frills working man's guitar.

I also really like the satin treatment on the S2 singlecut's. That vintage mahogany look's so "classic" metal to me!

If I had to make one small niggle on looks alone it would be the maple headstock. Not that I think it looks bad, but it would be cool to see a darker treatment just for cosmetic purposes. I did a little mockup in photoshop.

*I'll post it once, I'm past my 3 post "no links" limit :D

ce24satin_mockupyvo19.jpg

I do have a few questions regarding the specs. I assume the "PRS designed" tremolo means its the same 2 piece found on the S2 and SE line? They have the same name on their respective spec sheets.

The tuners also say "PRS designed", but after researching they look to be the phase II locking tuners. Is this correct? If so what are the other tier or line of models that come stock with these tuners?

If there were any recommendations on most beneficial upgrades, what would you recommend? I was looking at the MannMade one piece trem bridge and seeing heaps of praise around the web for this upgrade. Are the tuners worth upgrading?

I plan to make some small cosmetic upgrades to knobs, pick up rings, etc. if I end up picking one of these up, but was curious what folks' opinions were related to more technical upgrades.

Also, if a dealer were to do a run of these, what types of special treatments might you see for a ce24?

Thanks for reading and taking the time to answer! Anxiously awaiting my own NGD and first PRS NGD!

Last edited:
I have the SE/S2 trem and the core trem on various guitars, and I like them both very much. I think changes should always be made in response to how you feel about the sound of the guitar. The S2 tuners seem to work fine, although I did have to tighten the tuning button screws to stiffen them to my liking. The only upgrade I made on my S2 was wooden pickup rings and a wooden tremolo knob. Live with the guitar for a few weeks before you make any changes. I think PRS does an awesome job in the CE24, you don`t have To upgrade anything. My #1 is my trusty 2004 CE24. I`d love to buy a new one, just to compare to my older one. You made a great choice, and I bet you`ll be thrilled with it.

I have the SE/S2 trem and the core trem on various guitars, and I like them both very much. I think changes should always be made in response to how you feel about the sound of the guitar. The S2 tuners seem to work fine, although I did have to tighten the tuning button screws to stiffen them to my liking. The only upgrade I made on my S2 was wooden pickup rings and a wooden tremolo knob. Live with the guitar for a few weeks before you make any changes. I think PRS does an awesome job in the CE24, you don`t have To upgrade anything. My #1 is my trusty 2004 CE24. I`d love to buy a new one, just to compare to my older one. You made a great choice, and I bet you`ll be thrilled with it.

Thanks for the reply dogrocketp! Sounds like good solid advice.

Time to drink some more kool aid ;). I would think about getting a new one

I would also like to modify or clarify my original statement a little. When I saw the satin Mira models in pictures, I did not like. When I saw them in person, i really liked them. It just had that worn in SG vibe going. The finish on the back of the neck is just super nice.

I think that is what draws me to them. Vintage SG looks are some of my favorites. I love the Satin finished natural mahogany look on the les pauls too. I may have to find a way to get a vintage mahogany S2 Singlecut too. Really, really love the look of that one in particular.

Back