If You Had To Make Do...

Hmm that really should be easy my MKV 90 will do anything I have ever asked of it BUT I am really enjoying my HDRX20 with my Line 6 HXFX and Horsemeat pedal,
Yea I think I will stick with the Mesa if there is only one !!!
DC22 NF3 1 copy 2 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/152274366@N08/
Hey, That yellow guitar looks familiar! :)

My amp pick isn't fancy, but my Dr. Z Therapy is still the best sounding amp I've ever had. I'll likely own it the rest of my life and play it more often than any other amp. That amp with a Barber Direct Drive Super Sport makes me smile.

As much as I would want it to be my beloved MT15, it would have to be my Peavey 6505+112 (converted from a combo to a standalone head). It has three channels as the MT15 only has two and I got to have that crunch channel and putting a Boss Distortion in the front of the clean on the MT is ok but it's not the same feeling. Hopefully the MT100 will be my go-to amp for this simple need if it ever gets released.
2015-12-19%2022.47.06_zpsgugji0lk.jpg

Last edited:
With One Amp For Everything You Do, What Amp Would It Be?
Looks like my choice is a bit far afield from most here; THE one amp for everything I do currently is:

gL0x2mx.jpg

veXxCkA.jpg

The Boss Nextone Artist has performed brilliantly for me these past several months. Its main feature is the selectable power amp section, which I find does a really good job of recreating the various tube amps. There's also a great sounding reverb, delay and tremolo. It's capable of much more when plugged into a computer, but I've not gone down that road yet.

That said, I do have a Boss Katana Artist on the way in... mainly because I want to test out its green-back Waza speaker, and I like having the controls on the front panel rather than on the top. Since the Katana also includes something like 60 different effects, it could be my new all-in-one solution ;)

Looks like my choice is a bit far afield from most here; THE one amp for everything I do currently is:

gL0x2mx.jpg

veXxCkA.jpg

The Boss Nextone Artist has performed brilliantly for me these past several months. Its main feature is the selectable power amp section, which I find does a really good job of recreating the various tube amps. There's also a great sounding reverb, delay and tremolo. It's capable of much more when plugged into a computer, but I've not gone down that road yet.

That said, I do have a Boss Katana Artist on the way in... mainly because I want to test out its green-back Waza speaker, and I like having the controls on the front panel rather than on the top. Since the Katana also includes something like 60 different effects, it could be my new all-in-one solution ;)
That Is A Nice Giddy-Up!

Hey, That yellow guitar looks familiar! :)

My amp pick isn't fancy, but my Dr. Z Therapy is still the best sounding amp I've ever had. I'll likely own it the rest of my life and play it more often than any other amp. That amp with a Barber Direct Drive Super Sport makes me smile.
The Therapy is. really sweet amp - as are all the Dr. Z amps I've ever tried.

I liked the Mk V when I had one, too! It's a wonderful amp in a lot of ways.
I Think It Deserves More Credit Than it Gets. It Seems To Be The Red Headed Step Child Of The Mark Series Amps.

Hard question! What qualifies as an amp?

Is a modeler an amp? It makes amp sounds!
Is a rackmount system an amp? It's got more than one peice!

While my Quad Cortex is my current swiss-army-knife go to at the moment, I would have to pick the Mesa Tri-Axis rig I've had since the 90s. It just feels more like it's never going to become "obsolete" ... unless it's impossible to get vacuum tubes! Oh No!

One of these days I'll get a DG30, just based on your comments and clips.
You'd like it, no doubt.

I've always thought the MAZ 18 NR would be an 'I could relate to that tone in my rig' kind of amp. I understand there's a new version of it, but I've only tried the original one.

In the early days of TGP Mike Zaite and I corresponded, but I was a Two-Rock player at the time. I think he's a really great guy.

Hard question! What qualifies as an amp?

Is a modeler an amp? It makes amp sounds!
Is a rackmount system an amp? It's got more than one peice!

While my Quad Cortex is my current swiss-army-knife go to at the moment, I would have to pick the Mesa Tri-Axis rig I've had since the 90s. It just feels more like it's never going to become "obsolete" ... unless it's impossible to get vacuum tubes! Oh No!
One Of My Biggest Gear Regrets Was Letting Go Of My Tri-Axis / 290. What A Rig! Would Love For Mesa To Reissue That Set Up!

I had a Tri-Axis in the '90s, too. The dealer who sold it to me pushed it as a direct recording device, saying that it didn't need to be run into a power amp. That seemed like a good idea at the time. So I bought it to solely for that purpose.

Truth is, direct recording wasn't its forte. It was a thing it could do in a pinch. It sounded kinda wonky going direct into my console, as you might imagine, since it didn't have a circuit to emulate a power amp or speaker cab.

Long story short, because it didn't sound great for what I bought it for, I sold it.

Obviously, I never let it do what it was best at. Had I used it correctly, It would've been great, and after hearing other players using them with power amps, I realized I screwed the pooch.

But I had 4-5 other Mesas on hand at the time, so I wasn't hot to buy another one.

Back