If You Had To Make Do...

The Twin Sister Has Always Nudged My Interest.
I really like the amp. It does everything I could want it to do. I have never owned a Marshall and typically play Fender amps or amps based on Fender circuits. That means I typically get my gain from pedals and use the amp for a clean platform for the pedals. The Twin Sister is a modified JTM 45 circuit.

One thing that is so much easier with that amp is I can set a nice gain tone on it and adjust with my guitar volume like I do with my pedals. Where it is different is that I can use many different pedals to just raise the volume just a little on my signal coming from my pedal board and it really affects how the amp sounds. It gets more gain and sustain fast. I have done this with the Friedman Buxom Boos as well as a compressor pedal. I can push a clean tone into OD the same way. This is much different than the other amps I typically have used.

Custom 50 here. Excellent clean sound, great for pedals, and the dirty channel is a very good canvas for tweaking the sound with different types of boosts. Plus, there's just so much on that amp in terms of tone tweaking and live play functionality, and both channels, while different, retain the raw and unadulterated tone of a single channel amp.

A classic "Sophie's choice": Two Rock Custom Reverb Sig V1 or MkIIC+ - neither of which could compensate for the loss of the other :(

All of this amp talk makes me think I should bust out the Mesa Roadster again and see what it has to offer. That thing has so many options on it that you would think you can make it sound any way you want it to. I used to gig with it, until one night I walked out front and heard how harsh the drive sounded in it. I had done that walk at every gig since I was doing it to hear the mix in the PA but for some reason it really stood out to me and I hated the way it sounded. That was the last gig I used it for. I thought about selling it but the going rate on them was not something I would really part with it for. I feel like maybe I need to start over with it and see what I can get it to do.

My MkV25, ‘cause it’s the only one I have. The clean channel is brilliant, with the only issue that both the best crunch and two wonderful cleans are on that channel. The crunch cleans up well with the guitar volume. There are some good fat cleans and crunch to be had on channel 2, so all in all ok.

Bonus - a UA Dream with or without a few pedals, plugged into a PS2 and an open Mesa wide body cab or powered monitors. I use it with a little mixer and the monitors most of the time. It is surprisingly amazing. Like, Really Amazing.

If I could only have one device, it’d be a Fractal Audio Axe Fx. If we’re taking amps only, that‘s a tough one. I’ve been really digging the ‘76 Mark I Boogie I recently acquired, and love my HX/DAs. My Boogie Nomad and Road King are among the most versatile. If I had to hose only one right this minute, probably the HXDA and some nice pedals.

All of this amp talk makes me think I should bust out the Mesa Roadster again and see what it has to offer. That thing has so many options on it that you would think you can make it sound any way you want it to. I used to gig with it, until one night I walked out front and heard how harsh the drive sounded in it. I had done that walk at every gig since I was doing it to hear the mix in the PA but for some reason it really stood out to me and I hated the way it sounded. That was the last gig I used it for. I thought about selling it but the going rate on them was not something I would really part with it for. I feel like maybe I need to start over with it and see what I can get it to do.
It Is A Nice Amp. Throw A Peper's Dirty Tree In Front Of It.

Hmmm, my Helix gives me all I want. However, if I was going to get a tube amp again - and I could only have one to do the job I need - it would be a Rivera S120...or the rack version, the mighty TBR-1.
A Modeler Is Cheating Unless You Pick Your One Amp from The Modeler. ;)

I Hear Ya Though. :)

If I could only have one device, it’d be a Fractal Audio Axe Fx. If we’re taking amps only, that‘s a tough one. I’ve been really digging the ‘76 Mark I Boogie I recently acquired, and love my HX/DAs. My Boogie Nomad and Road King are among the most versatile. If I had to hose only one right this minute, probably the HXDA and some nice pedals.
A Modeler Is Cheating But I Get It. All Of Them Are Nice And Can Do The Business. You Have Some Cool Amps. Your Choice Of The HXDA Isn't Helping My Gas.

Back