If there was one change you could make a on Silver Sky, what would it be?

Yeah, I get that, but don’t really buy that it’s that much more costly for them than it is for others… and even if I conceded that, I’ve bought lower and higher cost PRS guitars that came with cases. My assumption is that John Mayer likes gig bags, and so it came with a gig bag. It’s a nice bag, to be fair.

Still, if I had one vote, that would be it. Being as I had an old Strat case laying around, it’s a moot point for me, but I thought I’d toss it out there as my “one thing.” :)

Great observations on Bob Taylor. I have to say I admire his commitment to doing what he believes is best for Taylor and the industry. Like Paul, he’s succeeded by following his own compass. You have to like that sort of willingness to lay your own tracks down.
I do agree about Taylor; Bob Taylor is an innovator and brilliant marketer who sure knows how to run a business. I've had several high end Taylors (including 900 series), and while they weren't my cuppa tea (I prefer a heavier-built guitar tone), for their design objectives they were excellent guitars.

I don't agree that it's much different in cost for PRS than others, since they don't own a case factory like Taylor does, nor do they have the economy of scale of Fender or Gibson. If my guess is right, they buy their cases from the company that owns Ameritage (ameritage makes their acoustic PS cases, and the construction and trim of the guitar cases makes me believe that it's likely they come from the same supplier).

You could check with them to see about case cost if you're interested.

Try buying a new USA guitar in 2022 that's lower cost than a Silver Sky. I'll be surprised if it comes with a case.

This might sound like a small thing but I can't stand the standard knobs that come with it. They just feel wrong to me.

Took only 8 minutes between post of knob complaint and post of knob joke.

Not a lot of neck or fretboard jokes, though. Hardware, well, there's probably potential.

that jm is playing it with dead & company. it just doesnt work in the context of that band. it lacks girth.
And he’s been playing “Honey”, the 3 pickup 594 hybrid for the past 3 weeks of this tour, with his platinum 594 on the blues tunes. I’m glad SS is out of the D&Co rotation. I really want to know why the Super Eagle and JMod were dropped a few years ago. ‍

Here is my son's Silver Sky. I compared it to my 1982 American Strat which has the same 7.25 radius neck. After playing my American Professional Telecaster with its 9.5 radius, I like the 9.5 radius much better as your hand has more space. Its not so crunched up like it is with the 7.25 radius. I know the SE is 8.5 which should be a little better for people who want a flatter neck higher up on the neck. I have never compared the two, has anyone found much difference between the two?
GUfLLKY.jpg

I’d change the radius, switch to 59/09s, shorten the scale to 594, and make it a singlecut with a carved maple top and rosewood neck.

@CandidPicker now see? THIS would be a build project thread! Even though he forgot the tuners. :D:D:D

But I'm thinking you'd definitely need your safety goggles for this project. And gloves, soldering iron, glue, a saw... and a protractor. And beer.
Sure, building a house with the best possible materials is a project. Steve is suggesting we build that house.

My project would be adding leaf-proof gutters (read: plain old PRS SE Locking Tuners, mission accomplished). Something that can easily be reversed if necessary that will not change the original value substantially.

IMHO, anything that can be reversed is good. Why change a guitar to something PRS already offers in separate models? It would make more sense to purchase something closer to what you'd want that wouldn't require as much modification.

For example, consider that mustache. Is it a flavor-saver, or just decorative? ;)

Sure, building a house with the best possible materials is a project. Steve is suggesting we build that house.

My project would be adding leaf-proof gutters (read: plain old PRS SE Locking Tuners, mission accomplished). Something that can easily be reversed if necessary that will not change the original value substantially.

IMHO, anything that can be reversed is good. Why change a guitar to something PRS already offers in separate models? It would make more sense to purchase something closer to what you'd want that wouldn't require as much modification.

For example, consider that mustache. Is it a flavor-saver, or just decorative? ;)

Tongue in cheek. I’m not a big fan of the SS. But in fairness, I’m not a Strat guy either.

Make that bridge pickup sound like... what was the quote... "hitting a grand piano with a sledge hammer." That'd be glorious, albeit that wouldn't sound like a Strat.

I know the SE is 8.5 which should be a little better for people who want a flatter neck higher up on the neck. I have never compared the two, has anyone found much difference between the two?
Yes. I prefer the satin neck of the SE, as it reminds me of the smoothness of the maple satin neck of the core. The fret job is better on the core, as they spend more time with them as they are 7.25” and need to be perfect to avoid buzzing. I find buzzing a lot more common on the SE as the frets are not as perfect. The SE also requires slightly higher action as a result. I really suggest going to a store to play multiple SE’s to find the best playing one as you will feel differences in quality. I find this less so on the core versions as they all seemed good to me. Then again with the difference of nearly $2k nowadays…it’s kinda to be expected.

Back